"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 AM   #16861
Master Chef

Addie,
you are right, you must make the best of it, it could always always get worse..
We are still alive and can live a good life - what more do we want?

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #16862
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I'm writing a little poem about my precious Betta. I miss her, and I know she is just a fish, but to me she wasn't just a fish. She was a sweet soul who always watched me at the computer.

It sounds silly, but I'm writing about her and missing her and feeling very sad.

With love,
~Cat
Nothing silly about it, Cat. Bettas are beautiful. They usually live 2 to 4 years. Most sold as pets are boys, the females don't have the lovely colors and elegant fins and tails. And two males can't share the same dwelling, that's why they're also known as Siamese Fighting fish.

I have some nice ground chuck that expires today, so will make up a big batch of chili.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #16863
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I'm writing a little poem about my precious Betta. I miss her, and I know she is just a fish, but to me she wasn't just a fish. She was a sweet soul who always watched me at the computer.

It sounds silly, but I'm writing about her and missing her and feeling very sad.

With love,
~Cat
I'm sorry you lost your Betta, Cat. I hope you have a better day today.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #16864
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Good day to stay indoors here today. Cold, cloudy and quite windy. A the moment I'm sitting on the sofa watching the birds enjoy the seed feeder and the suet cage. They're both very busy places. The birdies really LOVE the homemade suet I give them. I only have two cakes left. Looks like I'm going to have to make more soon if the weather continues to be this cold.

I just looked out the kitchen window and the feeder and suet cage there are both doing a brisk business, too.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #16865
Master Chef

Well this morning I ventured out in a blizzard to attend the Winter Antiques Show! I found this plate from the Queens Jubilee in 1887. I think it will end up hanging in the kitchen with the rest of my dusty treasures. I have been googling to find more information about the event. I'm always curious about how these things travel so far from home! It makes me think of an old movie called "The Yellow Rolls Royce" about the many lives of an automobile! It doesn't take much to amuse me!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #16866
Chef Extraordinaire

Poor ox
Nothing like a plate that has a picture of dinner on it
Old 01-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #16867
Chef Extraordinaire

What a great find! I would hang it where it can be seen as soon as you walk into the kitchen. I deserves a place of honor.

I didn't have the noon news on today, so I went to look out the window. We are having a really heavy snowfall. Today is "clean the kitchen" day. I am expecting The Pirate to come today. We always watch Downton Abby together. I have some chores for him to do also.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #16868
Certified Pretend Chef

I just got back from the grocery store for our 'weekly' shopping. It was showing like mad and was very slippery. By the time I got home, there was about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground. there was supposed to be just a dusting where I live with nothing but rain in Boston.

Meanwhile, SO is out and about with her sister visiting their brother in the hospital. I'm concerned about her drive home.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #16869
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got back from the store a little while ago, too.
I had to go into the animal hospital to pick up Pierce's script for the seizures he just started (as far as I know) having, so stopped at the store on my way home. I was just going to stop at the meat market, but they were closed for vacation, so I stopped at Giant Eagle and spent more than I intended.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #16870
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I just got back from the grocery store for our 'weekly' shopping. It was showing like mad and was very slippery. By the time I got home, there was about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground. there was supposed to be just a dusting where I live with nothing but rain in Boston.

Meanwhile, SO is out and about with her sister visiting their brother in the hospital. I'm concerned about her drive home.
Andy, we are getting a really heavy snowfall just like you. No rain. If they are visiting a hospital in Boston, she is going to have a very slow drive home. The snow is coming down so hard, I can hardly see the houses across the street.

« Petty Vents | - »