"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #161
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks! It was good. The meat was flavorful and juicy, but sort of tough. I had part of a thigh, some stuffing and incredible gravy.

I got it all wrapped, bagged, sealed in containers and put away, but I have another sink full of pots and pans. I'll probably leave that until morning because now I HURT.

I forgot about the problems caused by picking up and putting the bird into and taking out of the oven (a couple of times). It's impossible to lift with your thighs and knees when you have an oven door in the way! This was only a 14# bird, but my back can't take lifting that much weight in front of myself like that. Hopefully it's only strained and if I'm careful (and lucky) it will pass.

I'll tackle the carcass in the morning. I still have a lot of stock left, so I'm thinking I'll package the meat in baggies with some of the stock in each bag to keep it from drying out in the freezer.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #162
Senior Cook

Sat in a hospital with my mum and stepdad. Exciting stuff.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #163
Executive Chef

I went out to the tavern, (Arnold's) last night and had 6 Margaritas. The band was really good. Two lead guitars and both were very, very good. The women singing lead was also very good. The music was mostly Classic Rock.

Today, so far, I"m doing everything slowly. A bit hungover.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #164
Chef Extraordinaire

I got a new iron sight for my new gun in the mail just now. I'll be putting that on shortly and testing it out.
I think I'll head to wally world today, too. I want to pick up that peanut oil and scoop. I'll probably get some wings for tonight's dinner while I'm over there. If they look too busy, I'll turn around and go back tomorrow morning.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #165
Certified Pretend Chef

Just finished making some Ceasar dressing for dinner tonight. Next up are the prosciutto and gruyere puff pastry roll-ups and the crab stuffed shrimp.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #166
Everymom

Heaven help me I'm going to brave The Mall today. My girls need boots and coats and other essential winter stuff. Pray for me.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just finished stripping and packaging the turkey. I'll have enough turkey in the freezer for the next year.

I'm glad I used my large frying pan to put it in yesterday. Today it had quite a bit of congealed juices to add to the stock pot where the carcass, tail, skin and juices are coming to a simmer.

I managed to get it all in the freezer by using another plastic shoe box and just put it on top of the other one.

I had been using food from the freezer all last week, so I should have enough room for several containers of the finished stock.

I didn't add the giblet stock as it's fine the way it is and plenty of it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #168
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Paying bills. Most of ours are "paperless" and automatically paid on line, but there are a few I still have to pay the old fashioned way. Cheapskate that I am, it does annoy me to have to use a stamp and write out an envelope.

Will then package and freeze the dark meat and carcass from our Greenberg turkey. Good stuff.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #169
Senior Cook

Back home from the hospital. Worst day ever. Sat in bed now, with the laptop, watching Come Dine With Me on the TV, with a can of cider. Muchly needed. Stressful day.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #170
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan
Back home from the hospital. Worst day ever. Sat in bed now, with the laptop, watching Come Dine With Me on the TV, with a can of cider. Muchly needed. Stressful day.
So sorry to hear that, Kezlehan. Sure hope things get better.