"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #1691
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have a cane from one of the times I injured my leg. I have been tempted to use it on occasion.
Use it. If there is a possibility of injuring your leg again, then it is better to be safe than sorry. And you may be more comfortable walking with it.

When my leg was at its worse, I was in a wheelchair. I didn't wan't to go out in public with it. So I tried my darndest to walk. All I did was damage it more. Hard lesson to learn. It could have cost me my leg.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #1692
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Use it. If there is a possibility of injuring your leg again, then it is better to be safe than sorry. And you may be more comfortable walking with it.

When my leg was at its worse, I was in a wheelchair. I didn't wan't to go out in public with it. So I tried my darndest to walk. All I did was damage it more. Hard lesson to learn. It could have cost me my leg.
Thanks for the warning. My legs are fine at the moment. I have broken my kneecap twice, broken toes, sprained my foot, sprained my ankle. All injuries where a cane is handy until they are healed.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #1693
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the warning. My legs are fine at the moment. I have broken my kneecap twice, broken toes, sprained my foot, sprained my ankle. All injuries where a cane is handy until they are healed.
I totally agree with Addie. Taxlady, if you don't need it, that is wonderful, but don't be afraid to use it either. I am not one to harp on my "different abilities", but when it comes to transit or crowded places I see no reason not to use my cane to get what I need.

Just yesterday I was in a store (Winners for us Canadians!) that a friend of ours manages. I was heading to the tills and he was behind the service desk. He came around and was talking to me and all of a sudden said "where is your cane?" I said that I left it at home today as it needed a rest from all my trips into Vancouver. But then seriously told him that I am using it when necessary and leaving it in the car at other times "just in case". It is a freeing feeling.

I thought I would feel really guilty using it on the trains and buses, but when I see how some people react I am glad I do. If I fell on any type of moving transit I could do severe damage to my back and/or leg. It just isn't worth the pride thing!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #1694
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Just getting ready to unload my drumset from the truck from a gig last night. Didn't feel like doing it in the cold at 2:00 a.m. Then, clean up the joint for a weekend visitor.
I had a friend who was percussionist in a reggae band and one summer I went along on a few gigs and helped him set up and take down his kit. Other than the normal kit like yours, he had every drum and percussion instrument known to the Caribbean! Not the easiest things to move, but I got accommodation, concerts and food for free!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #1695
Chef Extraordinaire

going to put meat in one serving packs. takes awhile. i too have a cane. the only time i use it any more is shopping. and then it depends on the place. the mall has floors that look very shiny and slick. i use it there. and always when i go somewhere in the dark.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #1696
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I had a friend who was percussionist in a reggae band and one summer I went along on a few gigs and helped him set up and take down his kit. Other than the normal kit like yours, he had every drum and percussion instrument known to the Caribbean! Not the easiest things to move, but I got accommodation, concerts and food for free!
Gotta love free food!! I normally keep a set in my truck all year because I use it almost every week. But I needed the truck today, so I had to take the drumset out. Just a small standard set, thankfully. Only a few trips...
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #1697
Certified Pretend Chef

Catching up on DC and winding down for bedtime. We leave for home tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #1698
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Gotta love free food!! I normally keep a set in my truck all year because I use it almost every week. But I needed the truck today, so I had to take the drumset out. Just a small standard set, thankfully. Only a few trips...

my grandson's have a small band. they are called "Talk Like June" they do country rock and just country. they have been playing gigs around here for quite awhile. the oldest one plays the drums and has a van to lug the drums around. the wife of the youngest is singer and song writer. they are really pretty good. you can find them on facebook. i am proud of their ability to juggle jobs, children and the band.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #1699
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my grandson's have a small band. they are called "Talk Like June" they do country rock and just country. they have been playing gigs around here for quite awhile. the oldest one plays the drums and has a van to lug the drums around. the wife of the youngest is singer and song writer. they are really pretty good. you can find them on facebook. i am proud of their ability to juggle jobs, children and the band.
i just had a listen to your grandsons' band, babetoo. it's a good sound--nice vocals and some bluegrass flavor to it, too (who she is). do you go to see them perform? you must be proud of those boys and their girls, too.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #1700
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Milking the cane, huh??

I dyed my hair because some fella, older than me, carried all my laundry and soap into the laundromat, he thought I needed the help...
I'm amused because I'm often offered at the supermarket to "have somebody help you out with that?" Sometimes it's just a small bag with a loaf of bread and a steak or something like that. I've wondered if they aren't asking every customer that, or is it ageism? Nevertheless I've only been taken up with it at Trader Joe's Market when I'm buying cases of wine. I've often hurt my back carrying them in from car to house, and often break them open and take the bottles 2-3 at a time inside for parking. I like to have TJ's load them into my car, and it's a bonus that they take the cart back. (I always take my cart back anyway, I think it's rude to leave the cart maybe in the next parking place.)