"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #17251
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Taxy. I did not know that one! I have lots of empty medicine bottles waiting to go to recycling so I will give it a go.

I just got up from a nap and the cough I was positive had gone away is back again. Only 4 days till surgery .

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #17252
Chef Extraordinaire

Well that's a nifty sounding trick for wrapping a lot of string or yarn up.

I just pulled my pistol parts out of the motor oil and rubbed on them a little bit with some paper towels to start the cleaning off process. Things are looking good.
I probably ought to think about starting dinner soon. Or not.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #17253
Certified Cake Maniac

Taxy, your trick worked perfectly! I wish I had known it sooner! My main wool supplier has high-end product and it all comes in skeins. Half the time it takes longer to roll it up than to crochet it. But this was easy and having that inner end is invaluable! One down, two to go but I have enough to continue my work for awhile before bed.

Pac, I have always had a horrid fear of guns, but hearing and watching your process of refurbishing and putting them together gives me a new respect for the gun and the person. For you, finding, looking after and using your guns is the same for me with my yarn and my cake decorating.

Sometimes ignorance is not bliss! Thanks for that.

PS your signature is unfairly taunting my gallbladder!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 PM   #17254
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Taxy, your trick worked perfectly! I wish I had known it sooner! My main wool supplier has high-end product and it all comes in skeins. Half the time it takes longer to roll it up than to crochet it. But this was easy and having that inner end is invaluable! One down, two to go but I have enough to continue my work for awhile before bed....
I'm glad I thought to mention it. I learned it in the '70s. Back then I crocheted a lot and sold at craft sales and at a crafts store. I should get back to crocheting. I love how fast you can see progress.

I find the "unwind from the middle" particularly useful when you have a cat or more.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #17255
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you know the trick of putting the end of the yarn in a medicine bottle, put the cap on, and then wind around the bottle? It makes it possible to pull the yarn from the middle.

Okay....Must be more dense today than usual......can you walk me thru this Taxy? Are you pulling the yarn from the middle and winding around a pill bottle? If so how is this different than doing the same from the loose end?.....I'm sure I'm going to feel really dumb when you explain :)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #17256
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Okay....Must be more dense today than usual......can you walk me thru this Taxy? Are you pulling the yarn from the middle and winding around a pill bottle? If so how is this different than doing the same from the loose end?.....I'm sure I'm going to feel really dumb when you explain :)
No Bunny, you are not dense. The wool I was talking about is in a rough skein which needs to be put into a literal ball or one resembling the skeins you usually buy in the store with the loose end in the middle. Taxy's method is to keep the end in the bottle, while you wind the wool around it. When done, you take the bottle and end out and you can pull through the middle.

Taxy, did I explain it correctly. Sometimes it is hard to explain something I just do.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #17257
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
No Bunny, you are not dense. The wool I was talking about is in a rough skein which needs to be put into a literal ball or one resembling the skeins you usually buy in the store with the loose end in the middle. Taxy's method is to keep the end in the bottle, while you wind the wool around it. When done, you take the bottle and end out and you can pull through the middle.

Taxy, did I explain it correctly. Sometimes it is hard to explain something I just do.
Sounds right to me. Now, does it make sense to Somebunny?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #17258
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Sounds right to me. Now, does it make sense to Somebunny?
My interpretation is to take the end piece of yarn, stick it into the bottom of the pill bottle, then take the top, snap it on, which traps the yarn between the lid and the bottle, and proceed to wind the yarn around the pill bottle. Is that right?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #17259
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My interpretation is to take the end piece of yarn, stick it into the bottom of the pill bottle, then take the top, snap it on, which traps the yarn between the lid and the bottle, and proceed to wind the yarn around the pill bottle. Is that right?
Yup. And then, when you're done, you can pull the yarn out from the middle of the ball so it doesn't roll around.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #17260
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yup. And then, when you're done, you can pull the yarn out from the middle of the ball so it doesn't roll around.
To clarify further. That end in the bottle that you removed after you have finished winding the rest of it, is the end you are going to use to start your project with. Just like the skeins you buy from the store, you are going to be pulling the thread from the inside as you knit or crochet.