"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #1731
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm watching Public Enemy on USA. I just happened to be flipping channels and caught this at the beginning. What a treat!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1732
Master Chef

Hospital visits have to be the worst. For example, my mother when she is hospitalized wants someone there as many hours and the hospital will allow. My husband is of the same ilk as I am, that is to say, I want people to acknowledge that they care and stop in, but after about 10 minutes, you run out of things to talk about. I haven't been hospitalized in 35 years, give or take (thank heaven). But when hubby had the wasp attack I learned that he just wanted to be left alone.

More and more these days, flowers are something that most people just can't take in emergency situations. My experience is that ICUs don't allow flowers. There's nothing wrong with sending them, though, the nurses at their station enjoy them. Getting on the good side of hospital personnel is a GOOD thing!

The last time I made a hospital visit, I stopped and bought a stuffed animal I just liked (the friend was 70-something). She loved it, and gave it to a child visitor. Asked if I minded. Heck, no. The friend died a few months later, and I just hope that the child remembers her grandmother fondly when she sees it. I know the friend loved the toy because I saw her sleeping with it.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #1733
Certified Pretend Chef

My grandson and I are getting ready to make some lemon shortbread cookies (thanks Alix). This is a super simple recipe and delicious besides. There are a lot of things he can do hands on with this recipe.

I hope he actually likes them, he's a fussy eater. He gets that from both parents. Then again, if he doesn't like them I would step up and do my grandfatherly duty and eat them for him.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #1734
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My grandson and I are getting ready to make some lemon shortbread cookies (thanks Alix). This is a super simple recipe and delicious besides. There are a lot of things he can do hands on with this recipe.

I hope he actually likes them, he's a fussy eater. He gets that from both parents. Then again, if he doesn't like them I would step up and do my grandfatherly duty and eat them for him.
What a nice way to spend time together. You are a good grandfather offering to eat those cookies so they won't go to waste. If you can't finish them let me know. I will send my address.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #1735
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Hospital visits have to be the worst. For example, my mother when she is hospitalized wants someone there as many hours and the hospital will allow. My husband is of the same ilk as I am, that is to say, I want people to acknowledge that they care and stop in, but after about 10 minutes, you run out of things to talk about. I haven't been hospitalized in 35 years, give or take (thank heaven). But when hubby had the wasp attack I learned that he just wanted to be left alone.

More and more these days, flowers are something that most people just can't take in emergency situations. My experience is that ICUs don't allow flowers. There's nothing wrong with sending them, though, the nurses at their station enjoy them. Getting on the good side of hospital personnel is a GOOD thing!

The last time I made a hospital visit, I stopped and bought a stuffed animal I just liked (the friend was 70-something). She loved it, and gave it to a child visitor. Asked if I minded. Heck, no. The friend died a few months later, and I just hope that the child remembers her grandmother fondly when she sees it. I know the friend loved the toy because I saw her sleeping with it.
When I had my bypass surgery more than ten years ago, a friend in NO, LA. sent me a stuffed iguana. I named her Lizzieguana. I still have her. She goes with me on trips and fits perfectly around my neck for support when I want to take a nap on a plane. She has quieted many a crying child on the plane. Mothers bring bottles, but not a comfort toy or blankie. So Lizzieguana does her job. I just love Lizzieguana.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #1736
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Glad to hear you are willing to step up if necessary! We used to do all kinds of shortbread when my kids were little. It is so forgiving they could do it all by themselves. Almost.

I'm lying in bed, being lazy. I don't HAVE to get up, and the cat is smushed up next to my head. He's forgiven me now for shoving him off my face and is purring up a storm. At the moment I'm hoping to persuade someone to bring me a cup of coffee.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #1737
Senior Cook

I'm a librarian, and I'm currently processing Scientology stuff into the system. It's weird how much of this Scientology stuff we already have.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #1738
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Personally, I just don't care for cut flowers, they are so short lived. I love my plants and watching a beautiful bouquet dying is depressing to me.

If you wanted to give me something in the hospital, I would appreciate a plant so that I can remember the sentiment when I get home.

Also, so many people are allergic that I'm surprised hospitals allow them at all.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #1739
Chef Extraordinaire

waiting for cleaning lady. didn't do much today. slept very late and was still groggy. going shopping tomorrow for fabric. maybe i will just kick back for rest of the day.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #1740
Senior Cook

Making taco soup for soup day at work tomorrow. I feel like I'm totally phoning it in, and I'm not jazzed about that.