"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2014, 02:30 AM   #17741
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In the USA, low flow is required by law.
Shower heads, sink faucets, toilets. Low flow all around. But someone taught me an end-around for the low flow toilet. IF you need more than that 1.6 gallons of water in the bowl to move things along, just hold the handle down when you flush until you hear the tank filling back up. That way you get the 1.6 gallons from the bowl AND the 1.6 gallons from the tank working together. Like the old 3+ gallon toilets.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #17742
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Shower heads, sink faucets, toilets. Low flow all around. But someone taught me an end-around for the low flow toilet. IF you need more than that 1.6 gallons of water in the bowl to move things along, just hold the handle down when you flush until you hear the tank filling back up. That way you get the 1.6 gallons from the bowl AND the 1.6 gallons from the tank working together. Like the old 3+ gallon toilets.
We've had a low flow/highboy toilet since the great mixer incident on '11. It does as good a job as the old lowboy we had.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #17743
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Next time I need to put in a toilet, I want a dual flush toilet. I first saw them in Denmark in the 1950s when visiting as a little kid. I thought it was a neat idea then and haven't changed my mind.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #17744
Certified Cake Maniac

So it turns out I am allergic to surgical steel and hospital tape! And I had plenty of it in and on my body the past two weeks which was not helping my situation. My family doctor removed all the staples and used steri-strips. She also checked all the boils left by the tape and gave me some cream. By the time we drove the hour trip home, I was feeling 100% better!

So my strange list of allergies is getting longer - it includes Benedryl, which is used to fight allergies and caffeine (gives me migraines) which is used in pain medicines including migraine relief.

So, while I am resting I am filling out a little health book I got for Dad but never got to use. It has all your health information including allergies, medications, surgeries, etc. Everything you get asked wherever you go. I will be prepared but I am really hoping above all hope there won't be a next time where I will have to use it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #17745
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We've had a low flow/highboy toilet since the great mixer incident on '11. It does as good a job as the old lowboy we had.
Andy I remember reading an article about Americans flocking to Canada before they had low flow toilets ,and buying the old style ones. They would be stopped at the border and the toilet confiscated. It also mentioned that scrap yards were supposed to smash the old style ones beyond use. And they couldn't resell them.

The old style worked just fine. The scrap yards did start to smash them, until they had folks coming to in to try and buy one. A lot of smart scrap yard owners realized when a fast buck could be made and stopped breaking the old one. They even started to hide them in locked warehouses away from the eyes of the authorities.

It takes two flushes to completely empty the bowl. Where is the saving of water in that?
Old 02-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #17746
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...It takes two flushes to completely empty the bowl. Where is the saving of water in that?

Addie, the point of my earlier post is that it does not take two flushes. The early models of low flows were not very good. The manufacturers went back to the drawing boards and refined the design. They now work as well as or better than the old style. In over two years of daily use, I don't think I've ever had to flush twice. Actually, that's better performance than the old style we have in our other bathroom.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #17747
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
So it turns out I am allergic to surgical steel and hospital tape! And I had plenty of it in and on my body the past two weeks which was not helping my situation. My family doctor removed all the staples and used steri-strips. She also checked all the boils left by the tape and gave me some cream. By the time we drove the hour trip home, I was feeling 100% better!

So my strange list of allergies is getting longer - it includes Benedryl, which is used to fight allergies and caffeine (gives me migraines) which is used in pain medicines including migraine relief.

So, while I am resting I am filling out a little health book I got for Dad but never got to use. It has all your health information including allergies, medications, surgeries, etc. Everything you get asked wherever you go. I will be prepared but I am really hoping above all hope there won't be a next time where I will have to use it.
I'm so sorry to hear that, Laurie! Jeez, things just get more complicated

I have something similar to that book, but it's a file I keep on my PC, as well as a printout in my purse and DH has a copy. I update it before any medical appointments and take it with me. It also includes a list of my doctors and diagnoses and DH's name and phone number as the emergency contact.

Take care of yourself.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #17748
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Addie, the point of my earlier post is that it does not take two flushes. The early models of low flows were not very good. The manufacturers went back to the drawing boards and refined the design. They now work as well as or better than the old style. In over two years of daily use, I don't think I've ever had to flush twice. Actually, that's better performance than the old style we have in our other bathroom.
My bad! I misunderstood. The toilets here in this building have all the mechanicals non-accessible. But the flush is so strong, you don't want to be seated on the bowl when you flush it. It will suck you right down the drain. They must be the newer ones.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #17749
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
So it turns out I am allergic to surgical steel and hospital tape!...So my strange list of allergies is getting longer - it includes Benedryl, which is used to fight allergies and caffeine (gives me migraines) which is used in pain medicines including migraine relief.

Well aren't you special! Poor Poor LP. I hope you don't run out of space for those allergies - sounds like you might need more pages.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #17750
Certified Cake Maniac

Don't get me wrong guys! I am feeling better than I have for awhile now. I am anaemic and have the allergy rashes, but aside from taking naps I am doing a few small things around the house like feeding the furkids.

I want to go to Costco with TB but he is suggesting dropping me off for a haircut and wait for him at Starbucks instead. Hey, I am not going to turn down a little pampering!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote