"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #17871
Certified Pretend Chef

SO had a fall last night and injured her shoulder. I know it's bad because she called the Dr. for an appointment and called in sick to work. I'll take her to see the Dr. @ 1:30. I hope she didn't do any serious damage that requires surgery.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #17872
Everymom

Yikes! Hope she's ok Andy. Ice her up good til she gets to the Dr.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #17873
Chef Extraordinaire

I had a fall Saturday. I'm lucky I didn't rip a finger or two off, as I grabbed for a low privacy type wood fence as I was going down. Fortunately I hit the ground before my fingers could wedge in the V. I hate winter. This morning the light dusting was just enough to cover and hide the thick ice areas left over from last week's thaw. I've been learning to tap dance most of the day.

Soup. It might be what's for dinner... if I get out. I haven't made chicken soup in a while and I'm due.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #17874
Certified Pretend Chef

I could have used ice skates this morning when I took out the trash and recycle. We shovel a path through the snow from the sidewalk out front across the yard to the deck in back so we can take out the trash. That path is a sheet of ice. I'm lucky I didn't hit the deck. I was walking like a 99 year-old man, taking 3 inch steps.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #17875
Chef Extraordinaire

I am so tired of this winter.

Hey Andy, why don't you do a pictorial on making stock?
With all the questions on making your own, it would be nice to refer to.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #17876
Certified Pretend Chef

Kinda late to do a pictorial. The pot's already simmering away. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

Actually, I have a 28 page stock making tutorial I clipped from eGullet that requires 4 days. I haven't really followed that.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #17877
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO had a fall last night and injured her shoulder. I know it's bad because she called the Dr. for an appointment and called in sick to work. I'll take her to see the Dr. @ 1:30. I hope she didn't do any serious damage that requires surgery.
Oh dear. I hope it's just a bad bruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I had a fall Saturday. I'm lucky I didn't rip a finger or two off, as I grabbed for a low privacy type wood fence as I was going down. Fortunately I hit the ground before my fingers could wedge in the V. I hate winter. This morning the light dusting was just enough to cover and hide the thick ice areas left over from last week's thaw. I've been learning to tap dance most of the day.

Soup. It might be what's for dinner... if I get out. I haven't made chicken soup in a while and I'm due.
I hope you aren't too bruised.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #17878
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Slippery surfaces is why I make myself wear gloves in winter. I don't want to fall down with my hands in my pockets. I'm sure I would break my wrist or hand. I also don't want to have a naked hand landing on the grit and salt that is put out to improve traction.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #17879
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Oh dear. I hope it's just a bad bruise.

I hope you aren't too bruised.
It was dark.
My ego survived
Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #17880
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I crossed s/thing off my bucket list! Much like mastering setting zippers in clothing, this has been something I've always wanted to learn how to do (I learned to knit before I was six years old). Ever since I was given a pair of white mittens as a child (knit by a relative in Sweden), I have always wanted to learn how to knit using what I later learned was the "twined knitting" method. I have made numerous sweaters carrying two or more colors horizontally, and have woven rugs using this method, but have never tried twined knitting because, quite frankly, the instructions and diagrams in the one book I have on the technique were daunting. I found a couple of YouTube videos today that showed the technique. I watched each 2-3 times without sound and grabbed my knitting needles. It is so flipping EASY! (Either that, or it is easy for this lefty who knits and holds her yarn unlike most people). I'm going to practice a bit more and then I'm going to tackle a pair of mittens like the ones I had as a child.

Twined Knitting:

DROPS Tutorial Videos ~ DROPS Design

I guess I shouldn't cross it off my bucket list until I actually make something besides a mug "warmer."