"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #1781
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
my thomas cat, loves watermelon, especially the juice. never seems to bother him but then don't think it is classified as citrus. he can tell i have cut a piece three rooms away. strange. cantaloupe and papaya
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #1782
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Wink White Chicken

I was resting and thinking about having Haddock for supper. It got me to thinking about my my second husband, who was a commercial fisherman, would bring home all filleted the largest Haddock he found in the last catch of the day. It usually weighed at leas 10#'s. Most of the time it wasn't more than five hours old and never frozen like the rest of the catch in the hold. It was so fresh, I swear it was still kicking as I put it in the black frying pan.

The kids would ask "What,s for supper?" Now if I told them it was fish, they all would ave found a friend who would let them eat over their house. So I started telling them it was white chicken. Unbeknownst to them, they loved white chicken breaded, dipped in egg and breaded again. Then the white chicken would hit the cast iron pan until golden brown. As each cut up piece was done, it would go onto the platter sitting in a warm oven until there was a pile of it. The platter would come out of the oven and onto the table. By the end of the meal, there wasn't one piece left of white chicken. It wasn't until they were adults that I told them the truth.

When they each got married and had children of their own, I taught them how to make white chicken. Of course their kids hated fish also. So they each got to eat white chicken. And now the great grand-kids are also eating white chicken. So I will be having white chicken for supper.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #1783
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was resting and thinking about having Haddock for supper. It got me to thinking about my my second husband, who was a commercial fisherman, would bring home all filleted the largest Haddock he found in the last catch of the day. It usually weighed at leas 10#'s. Most of the time it wasn't more than five hours old and never frozen like the rest of the catch in the hold. It was so fresh, I swear it was still kicking as I put it in the black frying pan.

The kids would ask "What,s for supper?" Now if I told them it was fish, they all would ave found a friend who would let them eat over their house. So I started telling them it was white chicken. Unbeknownst to them, they loved white chicken breaded, dipped in egg and breaded again. Then the white chicken would hit the cast iron pan until golden brown. As each cut up piece was done, it would go onto the platter sitting in a warm oven until there was a pile of it. The platter would come out of the oven and onto the table. By the end of the meal, there wasn't one piece left of white chicken. It wasn't until they were adults that I told them the truth.

When they each got married and had children of their own, I taught them how to make white chicken. Of course their kids hated fish also. So they each got to eat white chicken. And now the great grand-kids are also eating white chicken. So I will be having white chicken for supper.
That's rich, Addie. Wonder if I could fool a grown-up who only orders chicken at seafood restaurants.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #1784
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
That's rich, Addie. Wonder if I could fool a grown-up who only orders chicken at seafood restaurants.
It is amazing what children will believe. It all starts with Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #1785
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was resting and thinking about having Haddock for supper. It got me to thinking about my my second husband, who was a commercial fisherman, would bring home all filleted the largest Haddock he found in the last catch of the day. It usually weighed at leas 10#'s. Most of the time it wasn't more than five hours old and never frozen like the rest of the catch in the hold. It was so fresh, I swear it was still kicking as I put it in the black frying pan.

The kids would ask "What,s for supper?" Now if I told them it was fish, they all would ave found a friend who would let them eat over their house. So I started telling them it was white chicken. Unbeknownst to them, they loved white chicken breaded, dipped in egg and breaded again. Then the white chicken would hit the cast iron pan until golden brown. As each cut up piece was done, it would go onto the platter sitting in a warm oven until there was a pile of it. The platter would come out of the oven and onto the table. By the end of the meal, there wasn't one piece left of white chicken. It wasn't until they were adults that I told them the truth.

When they each got married and had children of their own, I taught them how to make white chicken. Of course their kids hated fish also. So they each got to eat white chicken. And now the great grand-kids are also eating white chicken. So I will be having white chicken for supper.
addie, if you wrote your autobiography i would gladly buy and read it. have you ever thought about it? or a memoir--you write so well, too. you wouldn't even need a ghost writer....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #1786
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
addie, if you wrote your autobiography i would gladly buy and read it. have you ever thought about it? or a memoir--you write so well, too. you wouldn't even need a ghost writer....
It has been mentioned before. But most of my stories revolve around my children or my childhood. My kids kept me on my toes. I was determined they would grow up learning. Even if it was one new thing each day. I grew up in a neighborhood that was totally alien to my background. I think I was the only non-Italian in town. Yet my mother taught me to cook traditional American foods. And my friends grandmothers, and mothers taught me Italian cooking. I got the best of both worlds. I have a lot of fond memories from both ends. And I came along right at the end of cooking with a wood stove and ice boxes for cooling foods. My mother grew up during the depression and she kept a lot of the belt tightening tricks that she learned as a child. She passed them down to me. And I in turn passed them on to my kids. My daughter keeps telling me to write all my tricks down on the computer so she can print them out when I am gone. So every so often a subject comes up here and I try to add my little bit to the conversation. English was one of my best subjects in school. So writing comes fairly easy to me.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #1787
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It has been mentioned before. But most of my stories revolve around my children or my childhood. My kids kept me on my toes. I was determined they would grow up learning. Even if it was one new thing each day. I grew up in a neighborhood that was totally alien to my background. I think I was the only non-Italian in town. Yet my mother taught me to cook traditional American foods. And my friends grandmothers, and mothers taught me Italian cooking. I got the best of both worlds. I have a lot of fond memories from both ends. And I came along right at the end of cooking with a wood stove and ice boxes for cooling foods. My mother grew up during the depression and she kept a lot of the belt tightening tricks that she learned as a child. She passed them down to me. And I in turn passed them on to my kids. My daughter keeps telling me to write all my tricks down on the computer so she can print them out when I am gone. So every so often a subject comes up here and I try to add my little bit to the conversation. English was one of my best subjects in school. So writing comes fairly easy to me.
I second the emotion, I would like to have you get all your stories down, too! Thank you for sharing them with us!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #1788
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
+1!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 AM   #1789
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is amazing what children will believe. It all starts with Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.
you served your kids the easter bunny too?!?!
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #1790
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
you served your kids the easter bunny too?!?!
I got my nephew good with that one...venison at Christmas...he believes nothing I say, unless he is sick.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.