"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #17921
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh, and watching Vikings, too!
Season premier in a couple days.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #17922
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm whooped so I'm sitting here waiting on a last minute load to finish in the dryer. Packing for a month away from home seems close to moving. I woke up in the middle of the night wondering what became of the pineapple I bought last week. Good thing I found it in the trunk this morning as it sure would have stunk up the car after a month in our warm climate. I keep thinking there's something else I've forgotten. I have to be sure to pack my pillow in the morning..never leave home without it. We will be picked up for the airport tomorrow evening flying 14 hrs to Buenos Aires with a layover in Lima. Buzzer went off on the dryer. I'll be back before tomorrow evening.
That is a dream trip you have planned Kayelle. Have a great flight and fair seas. Pics would be nice too.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #17923
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm picking out glasses. I went to the optometrist at Sears today. They had "promotions". One pair of frames free with the lenses. Bifocal lenses: $495. Or, Two pairs of glasses for the price of one plus one other extra. Their cheapest frames were $245. But, even without looking at price, I didn't like any of the frames.

So far, I have picked out three pairs of glasses with oleophobic, anti-reflective, UV protecting, anti-scratch coating and clip on sun shades. The total is $156.55. Last time I bought from them, the shipping was just under $10 and took just over a week. Sears takes 10 days to get the glasses ready. I wonder if they get them from China too. I'm still deciding on the rimless glasses. I may get something else. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #17924
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm picking out glasses. I went to the optometrist at Sears today. They had "promotions". One pair of frames free with the lenses. Bifocal lenses: $495. Or, Two pairs of glasses for the price of one plus one other extra. Their cheapest frames were $245. But, even without looking at price, I didn't like any of the frames.

So far, I have picked out three pairs of glasses with oleophobic, anti-reflective, UV protecting, anti-scratch coating and clip on sun shades. The total is $156.55. Last time I bought from them, the shipping was just under $10 and took just over a week. Sears takes 10 days to get the glasses ready. I wonder if they get them from China too. I'm still deciding on the rimless glasses. I may get something else. Decisions, decisions.
I've thought about ordering some glasses from zenni optical just for kicks, the prices are awesome and I've heard really good things about them. It would be fun to have a bunch of different frames.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:09 AM   #17925
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I've thought about ordering some glasses from zenni optical just for kicks, the prices are awesome and I've heard really good things about them. It would be fun to have a bunch of different frames.
That's who I ordered from. Yeah, that's why I bought three pairs of glasses. I always want a spare pair for emergencies and I bought one pair that are red. I also like to have one pair that are metal, because the "arms" interfere less with peripheral vision, but I don't like those nose pad thingees, so I also want to have at least one pair in plastic/acrylic with the moulded on nose thingees.

I have ordered from them twice before and I've been happy with the glasses.

They have a huge selection of non-designer frames. They have a neat thing where you upload a picture of yourself and you can see what the glasses will look like on you.

If you have never ordered glasses online, you will need to know your PD (pupillary distance). Most optometrists won't tell you what it is. You will probably need to get your sweety to measure it for you. It isn't hard. The PD also helps the thing with the photo show the glasses the right size on your face.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #17926
Master Chef

Quote:
(((Hugs CG))). I sure hope you get that straightened out soon.
Thanks taxy. I spent 48 minutes on the phone today and found out they apparently took that one check and applied it twice! I also could not verify online that my EFT is actually set up to pay my premium monthly because that part of the website isn't working. *sigh* At least everyone agrees that I DO have health insurance effective March 1, so that's a good thing.

I swear the way they set the websites up and the process you have to go through to get insurance is akin to sending a new cruise ship out on its maiden voyage...without checking for leaks or properly functioning mechanicals. Everyone on the ship is sinking and drowning while those who designed it are back on land safe and sound.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #17927
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I am online shopping.
I think what I like most about online shopping is it is so easy to research.
Unfortunately, it is so easy to hit Submit Order, too.
As a bonus, there is no one there to give you funny looks as you shop in your jammies.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #17928
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
As a bonus, there is no one there to give you funny looks as you shop in your jammies.
If you wear jammies...

Just having a quiet cup of coffee before I start the rest of my day. Work today, sigh. guess I should fold all that clean laundry too.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #17929
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's who I ordered from. Yeah, that's why I bought three pairs of glasses. I always want a spare pair for emergencies and I bought one pair that are red. I also like to have one pair that are metal, because the "arms" interfere less with peripheral vision, but I don't like those nose pad thingees, so I also want to have at least one pair in plastic/acrylic with the moulded on nose thingees.

I have ordered from them twice before and I've been happy with the glasses.

They have a huge selection of non-designer frames. They have a neat thing where you upload a picture of yourself and you can see what the glasses will look like on you.

If you have never ordered glasses online, you will need to know your PD (pupillary distance). Most optometrists won't tell you what it is. You will probably need to get your sweety to measure it for you. It isn't hard. The PD also helps the thing with the photo show the glasses the right size on your face.
Gee TL, here they have to give you all your information in writing. I get a copy of my eye exam every year with complete information. Even though my glasses are paid for completely by my health plan. I have a pair of Sophia Loren frames that look really good on me and are very comfortable. This will be the fourth year that I will have my new lens made for them. My reading glasses? Who cares. They are never seen outside of my home. But I do have a pair for the computer and one just for reading. Both have the same frame, just different colors.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #17930
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just got back from a stress test. Heart's fine. Dr. thinks I should exercise and lose weight.

Exercise isn't just for losing weight. It will KEEP your heart "fine", strengthen your lungs, lower your BP, cholesterol, and triglycerides, increase your endurance, strengthen your bones, keep your joints limber.....

When the weather warms up, you can get outside and run around with your grandson.