"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #18011
Sous Chef
 
Rocket_J_Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We found out last Saturday that our 2009 van that was sold to us on a car lot has almost bare tires. This is in addition to falsely selling us a warranty that doesn't do anything they said it would, not telling us that there was only one key and fob and then not wanting to do anything about it, and not even doing an oil change before selling it to us. We are going through GM Canada headquarters and another affiliated dealership to get the work done and to get the place we bought it from to pay for it. We are looking at about $1,000 in total, including four new tires. So the tire pressure monitoring is the least of our worries!
I can't remember back from when I lived in BC, but don't used vehicles have to be certified before they can be re-sold? Here in Ontario, if a mechanic certifies a vehicle that isn't fit, he can loose his license.
__________________

__________________
Rocket_J_Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #18012
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I started another pistol project. It involves something I've never done before and unfortunately, can't find any vids on. This project should take me a while. This morning I put some finishing touches on what I started yesterday and think I may have a handle on things before I totally destroy the gun, lol.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #18013
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I started another pistol project. It involves something I've never done before and unfortunately, can't find any vids on. This project should take me a while. This morning I put some finishing touches on what I started yesterday and think I may have a handle on things before I totally destroy the gun, lol.

What kind of pistol project is it?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #18014
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
We found out last Saturday that our 2009 van that was sold to us on a car lot has almost bare tires. This is in addition to falsely selling us a warranty that doesn't do anything they said it would, not telling us that there was only one key and fob and then not wanting to do anything about it, and not even doing an oil change before selling it to us. We are going through GM Canada headquarters and another affiliated dealership to get the work done and to get the place we bought it from to pay for it. We are looking at about $1,000 in total, including four new tires. So the tire pressure monitoring is the least of our worries!
Bummer. I'm sorry you are having to deal with that. I sure hope the place that sold you the car has to pay for that work and tires.

I bought this car and the previous one from Swedish Auto. I really like them and they seem to like me. They have been doing all the maintenance and repair on my cars since 2002. I still paid to have a guy from the APA check out the car before I bought it. He has been checking used cars for me since 2002. He does an amazing job.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #18015
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What kind of pistol project is it?
It's another 1911. I am modding an existing one that I have and I'll blue it myself again. The new step is called melting. I am bevelling/contouring all the sharp lines. It's one of those "you can't put metal back" projects. So now that I am into it, there's no turning back.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #18016
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It's another 1911. I am modding an existing one that I have and I'll blue it myself again. The new step is called melting. I am bevelling/contouring all the sharp lines. It's one of those "you can't put metal back" projects. So now that I am into it, there's no turning back.

So you are filing/sanding/grinding?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #18017
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So you are filing/sanding/grinding?
I am. I just took a break. My fingers are killing me.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #18018
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I am. I just took a break. My fingers are killing me.
You are supposed to use sandpaper, not your fingers.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #18019
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So you are filing/sanding/grinding?
See how I'm knocking the points off and rounding the sharp edges?
I'm about 70% there in this one area. Then once I melt everything I'll strip the parkerized finish off and change from 220 grit to 400 and polish everything, as the finish is rougher than I want it. Then I'll start fitting all the parts I ordered, which will just require normal filing and sanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 trigger area before.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	20849   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 trigger area.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	20850  

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #18020
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are supposed to use sandpaper, not your fingers.
That explains it.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.