"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #18321
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Gramma didn't drink, but Grampa did. When I came home from college one time with a hellacious cough and cold, she made me a hot toddy that knocked my socks, and me, out! When I woke up, I felt human again.....
My aunt who lived with us wasn't much of a drinker. If she offered to make you a hot toddy you knew to get into bed first because you might have a hard time finding it later. Just for S&Gs my father-in-law managed to get her to have two drinks at our rehearsal dinner. Auntie was the entertainment for the rest of the night...

I'm trying to stay awake until the dishwasher gets to the "dry" part of the cycle so I can open it up, blot cup bottoms, and let it air dry. For the last couple of nights I'm back to waking up in the middle of my sleep and having a hard time getting back to sleep. Last night it was a 2 1/2 hour stretch. If this happens again I'm going to either get up and start dusting the living room or grab LittleBit, turn the TV on really quiet, and the two of us can fall asleep with me laying sideways on my snuggler chair with the cat on my tummy! She has that effect.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #18322
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Gramma didn't drink, but Grampa did. When I came home from college one time with a hellacious cough and cold, she made me a hot toddy that knocked my socks, and me, out! When I woke up, I felt human again.

I'm making up some more rhubarb sauce. DH really likes it, and it helps to free up the freezer.
My Grandmother dosed me once with a Valium when I was sick (chest cold)...I woke up a couple days later, about 5 minutes before she called my parents. I was the first and last Grandchild she tried to "doctor".

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #18323
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've been trying on my three new pairs of glasses that just arrived in the mail. They will take a little getting used to. The 'script is a fair bit stronger than the previous one. The optometrist warned me that they might make me nauseous at first. So far so good.

I have never understood that. If you put the glasses on and they are too strong how can the prescription be correct? I always expect to be able to see "perfectly" when I put new glasses on. Eventually, your eyes adjust to the new prescription, but my eyes are already adjusted to the old prescription, so why isn't that the correct prescription for me? More than half the time I don't wear my glasses.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #18324
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My Grandmother dosed me once with a Valium when I was sick (chest cold)...I woke up a couple days later, about 5 minutes before she called my parents. I was the first and last Grandchild she tried to "doctor".

For years, when I took cough medicine I was grabbing a spoon out of the kitchen drawer. That cough medicine used to knock me out and I would go into a dead sleep until the alarm went off the next day. One day I realized that the instructions said 2 tsp and the spoon I was using was a tablespoon. Now they give you those little cups with the line on the side to measure. I feel like I'm hardly taking any by comparison.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #18325
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have never understood that. If you put the glasses on and they are too strong how can the prescription be correct? I always expect to be able to see "perfectly" when I put new glasses on. Eventually, your eyes adjust to the new prescription, but my eyes are already adjusted to the old prescription, so why isn't that the correct prescription for me? More than half the time I don't wear my glasses.
Your brain adjusts to the incorrect prescription and has to adjust to the correct prescription.

When you go to the eye doctor and they take your glasses, they are measuring the prescription. The optometrist starts with your old prescription and then goes up or down from there to see how much your eyes have changed. Sitting in a dark room with black and white cards, helps to distract your brain and you get a real reading on the changes that m\need to be made.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #18326
Executive Chef

That makes sense, PF.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #18327
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wearing the new prescription puts less stress on your eyes, so while your brain is going "What?" your eyes are getting a much needed rest. It only takes a day or two for your brain to catch up and things start looking normal.

Shrek got his first pair of progressive tri-focals yesterday, considering the hard time he had with lined bi-focals, I was hoping this go round would be easier on him and it was. He wouldn't even try progressives for about 8 years...between the optician and I, we got him talked into it and he is a happy boy.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #18328
Certified Cake Maniac

I got a full night's sleep without one cough! I think all the talk of killing it with booze must have scared it away.

Dawg, I am not running a fever or anything and am quite familiar with bronchitis and pneumonia (had them most of my life), so I don't think I have either. I promised TB that if I had another bad night I would go to the doctor and I didn't, so we will just wait and see. I feel much better for just being able to sleep.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #18329
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
PF explained it better than I can. Everything was clearer with the new glasses right away, but things weren't quite the right shape. My brain has pretty much adjusted to the new distortion, so I don't get the odd shapes now. (stuff too wide at the top, too narrow at the bottom)
Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #18330
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The first time I had progressive bifocal glasses, I was shocked to see the walls of hallways were very distorted. It took two weeks before they looked straight to me.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote