"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #18371
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm glad CarolPA asked that question, I was getting confused.

I can get phone service from the local cable company or buy a unit from Walmart, they both resemble a landline but, they really are wireless cell phones not landlines. I don't see much advantage to going that route. Too many choices for my poor old head, I will stop at the Verizon store tomorrow and ask a lot of stupid questions, we'll see!
The thing to do is choose a cell phone that works best from your home. I probably had the fastest cell phone return in history when I drove 19 miles to my home from the Sprint store and had no signal.
If you go the cable route you could lose your phone if someone hits the pole, there's an ice storm, or any number of reasons you might lose your cable service.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #18372
Chef Extraordinaire

Just got home. We were asked to be Godparents for my cousins 1st baby girl. Then a baby shower to follow. Nice to be home to relax.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #18373
Certified Cake Maniac

Sounds like a great day, SB. I love new babies!

I just watched the Vancouver Canucks (hockey) beat the Florida Panthers in a shootout against our old pal Roberto Luongo. Lu got traded recently after a year long controversy.

Now I am back working on sorting my desk out and researching a design for a "Frozen" (the movie) cake I am doing for a four year old's birthday next Sunday.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #18374
Chef Extraordinaire

Would love to see a picture of that when you are finished with it. Our daughter loved the movie "Frozen" Her & her classmates continue to sing all of the songs from that movie.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #18375
Chef Extraordinaire

Finishing up casing the last of the sausage I've been making all weekend. The way I make it requires several bouts of putting the meat grinder parts back in the freezer and chilling the ground meat before grinding again and yet again before casing it. Also getting my office in order so I can start a new contract tomorrow (YEA!!!!).
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #18376
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Finishing up casing the last of the sausage I've been making all weekend. The way I make it requires several bouts of putting the meat grinder parts back in the freezer and chilling the ground meat before grinding again and yet again before casing it. Also getting my office in order so I can start a new contract tomorrow (YEA!!!!).
You've been busy. w00t for sausage and new contract.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #18377
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Sounds like a great day, SB. I love new babies!

I just watched the Vancouver Canucks (hockey) beat the Florida Panthers in a shootout against our old pal Roberto Luongo. Lu got traded recently after a year long controversy.

Now I am back working on sorting my desk out and researching a design for a "Frozen" (the movie) cake I am doing for a four year old's birthday next Sunday.
I would love to see a pic of the cake!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #18378
Master Chef

Enjoying a bowl of Tillamook Oregon Strawberry ice cream and searching for a movie which I will undoubtedly fall asleep watching. Night, all!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #18379
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...Too many choices for my poor old head, I will stop at the Verizon store tomorrow and ask a lot of stupid questions, we'll see!...
I can tell you that Verizon is expensive. I suppose that can be said of most major carriers. We switched to a secondary carrier (Ting) that operates on the Sprint network. We love it BUT Himself said that you have to be tech savvy (or know someone who is) in order to set up a smartphone - maybe even the account. You do have to buy your phone (most plans require that) but Ting lets you buy from anyone, not just them. We got like-new Samsung 3G phones for $200 each. Our last bill for the two phones was $27, including taxes. We usually run about $40/month. If you want the phone just to have one you could buy a non-smart (feature) phone for less than $100 through Ting, probably even less online like eBay. After that it's $6/month plus charges based on time/messages/data used. A phone and up to 100 minutes a month would cost $9 plus taxes. Text messages and data are their own charges too. It's billed on a tiered volume scale. We've had this service since October and have no real complaints. Whatever you decide on, good luck. It's not easy shopping for a phone plan. Or a car. Or health care. Or practically anything but milk anymore!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #18380
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I can tell you that Verizon is expensive. I suppose that can be said of most major carriers. We switched to a secondary carrier (Ting) that operates on the Sprint network. We love it BUT Himself said that you have to be tech savvy (or know someone who is) in order to set up a smartphone - maybe even the account. You do have to buy your phone (most plans require that) but Ting lets you buy from anyone, not just them. We got like-new Samsung 3G phones for $200 each. Our last bill for the two phones was $27, including taxes. We usually run about $40/month. If you want the phone just to have one you could buy a non-smart (feature) phone for less than $100 through Ting, probably even less online like eBay. After that it's $6/month plus charges based on time/messages/data used. A phone and up to 100 minutes a month would cost $9 plus taxes. Text messages and data are their own charges too. It's billed on a tiered volume scale. We've had this service since October and have no real complaints. Whatever you decide on, good luck. It's not easy shopping for a phone plan. Or a car. Or health care. Or practically anything but milk anymore!
Thanks for the information!

I'm afraid that even shopping for milk is becoming too complicated for me!

I've been wandering around the internet this morning looking at various options and they all seem too complicated for me. My thought was that if I give up the old landline I would go with a mobile phone that allowed voice, text and internet access. I only make one or two telephone calls per month, never text and roam around on the internet 3 or 4 hours each day. I may just say to heck with it, cancel the landline and live with my cheap disposable phone until I figure a better option. I think my real problem is that I have absolutely no interest in technology, I need to find a 7th grader that can figure this out for me!