"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #18581
Executive Chef

I'm trying to type with a big bandage on my thumb. I keep adding letters that shouldn't be there. Last night I was chopping veggies and sliced into the tip of my thumb. Won't stop bleeding. I have 3 band aids on it and the finger of a rubber glove rolled down over it for protection. Hope that stays on while I shower.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #18582
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I'm trying to type with a big bandage on my thumb. I keep adding letters that shouldn't be there. Last night I was chopping veggies and sliced into the tip of my thumb. Won't stop bleeding. I have 3 band aids on it and the finger of a rubber glove rolled down over it for protection. Hope that stays on while I shower.
Sorry to hear that, Carol. You should get a package of finger cots...

Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #18583
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Bummer Carol. Sounds like you did a bigger number on your thumb than I did on my finger. Heal quickly.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #18584
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Until you can get one of the finger thingies, you are going to have to stop the bleeding the hard way. Put strong pressure on the cut for at least 15 minutes. No peaking!

When the nurse in the ER one time ripped the dressing off my hand because she didn't like the way the paramedics had put in the IV, she took a chunk of flesh right out of the back of my hand. That bled for more than 24 hours. I ended up putting a wad of 4x4's and a couple of heavy books on top of them over the would after I got home. I worked. BTW, warm water of the shower will only make it bleed more if you don't get it stopped first.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #18585
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been having trouble all week with my hip and spine. So I have been taking the Vicodin on a regular basis and sometimes more than the directions call for. I guess the days of taking just one instead of the two at a time are over. I knew that someday it would get worse, but it is really ticking me off big time. There were a couple of days I spent in bed. I couldn't even take one step without pain. It has never been this bad. It is all this dang rain that is causing the problem.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #18586
Executive Chef

Yes, I do want to get some finger cots when I go out. It isn't actively bleeding. It's hard to do anything without using your thumb, and when I do something that requires pressing with my thumb, it seeps a little. And that's letting up since last night. It's just going to be inconvenient until it heals.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #18587
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes, I do want to get some finger cots when I go out. It isn't actively bleeding. It's hard to do anything without using your thumb, and when I do something that requires pressing with my thumb, it seeps a little. And that's letting up since last night. It's just going to be inconvenient until it heals.
Give your boo, boo a big kiss. Don't you know Mother's kisses have magic?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #18588
Certified Cake Maniac

I'm catching up here on DC as I haven't been around much for the last several days except maybe to put my 2 cents worth in on the Song Title thread.

Carol, I hope your thumb heals quickly. Yes, you don't know how much you use them until they hurt (or bleed). I have an infection under the nail of one of mine (happens often and I don't know why).

PF, that's great about Shrek's meatloaf! TB will make steaks, chicken, all simple stuff (and only seasons with salt and a little pepper thankfully), but won't get into things where you have to mix it up. He just tells me he'll leave that to me because I make it best.

Well, I have to go check on TB. He was running a fever again earlier and if he is to call into work (and me to call to get into the doctor) we have to act soon.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #18589
Master Chef

I managed to cut into my middle finger with garden shears a few years ago.. a clean cut into the fingertip.. I took a brief look at it and told Frank to drive me to Hospital to get it stitched.. not so bad at all, but I knew at the fingertip it would take weeks to heal...

Addie,
hope you're getting well soon!
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:43 PM   #18590
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
While you are getting the finger cots, pick up some of the fast healing adhesive bandages. They work really well. They also get in the way less when you are cooking, etc.