"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #18681
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Rocket, IMO that 89 woman should not have been driving. She could have killed someone.
I don't think you can judge her driving ability based on one mistake. She probably didn't check her blind spot. I see younger people make that mistake all the time, but they are usually lucky that no one is in that blind spot.

Yes, the accident is a good reason to have her driving evaluated.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #18682
Certified Cake Maniac

BC makes seniors get a medical form filled on renewal of their licences. No form, no license. And they can be turned away if any one section is filled out with problems.

Rocket I am so glad it wasn't worse for you. I hope if the government doesn't take her license that she has enough sense to give it up.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #18683
Chef Extraordinaire

I wish they would base the extra restrictions on anyone on statistics. Older drivers have fewer accidents and are less likely to drive impaired.

I wouldn't mind seeing mandatory physicals for all drivers every some number of years. Depending on the results, it could be a shorter period of time for some drivers.

When I was a kid I was visiting my dad in the hospital. The wife of the man in the next bed had an epileptic seizure right there in the hospital room. She knew she was epileptic and was still driving, which is illegal in California (It may be legal if controlled by drugs and seizure free for some amount of time). I got called a busy body and worse by the woman and her mother when I mentioned to the nurse that the police should probably be informed, since she had driven to the hospital. I was being selfish. I don't want epileptics who have seizures driving when I'm on the road.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #18684
Chef Extraordinaire

Living in an elderly resident building, we see the problem every day. Fortunately in this state you can report someone to the RMV without giving your name or any other self information. Even if you don't know the name of the driver, just report the license plate number.

One man was so bad that management called his son in the middle of the night to tell him to take the keys away from his father. Nothing happened. Skip was driving down side and back streets so the cops wouldn't see him. He had hit more than one car in the parking lot. Finally management took away his parking spot and made him park in the rear of the building. It just kept getting worse and worse. I told the manager I would call my daughter who is in management at the RMV and report him. When I told her how bad it had become, she called our local police station and had them send someone out immediately. They couldn't arrest him at that time, since he hadn't had an accident that day, but they did demand his keys. They told him that they had received several calls the day before from people who had seen him driving on side streets and hitting parked cars. They also told him he needed to call RMV and set up an appointment for re-evaluation for a Fit To Drive test. About a week later, his son put him in a nursing home and sold Skip's car. Now we have another one who won't go above 20 m.p.h. His reaction speed is one step below none.

I understand that it is difficult for them to lose their independence. But in this city we have so many programs aimed at the elderly, that there is no need for them to be driving after a certain age or when they begin to show certain disabilities.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #18685
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got back from a nice little walk. The sun has finally poked out... at least for a little while. And I saw my first groundhog hole that was opened up. It's about time they woke up from hibernation. It doesn't help that there is still ice on the lake. I'm sure it's ten degrees warmer ten minutes south.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #18686
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I was a kid I was visiting my dad in the hospital. The wife of the man in the next bed had an epileptic seizure right there in the hospital room. She knew she was epileptic and was still driving, which is illegal in California (It may be legal if controlled by drugs and seizure free for some amount of time). I got called a busy body and worse by the woman and her mother when I mentioned to the nurse that the police should probably be informed, since she had driven to the hospital. I was being selfish. I don't want epileptics who have seizures driving when I'm on the road.
You were NOT being selfish. I was thought to have epilepsy and told not to drive until I was cleared. I obeyed it because I didn't want to hurt myself or anyone else. I hated it, just like I do now, but I make the right decisions for the right reasons.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #18687
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
You were NOT being selfish. I was thought to have epilepsy and told not to drive until I was cleared. I obeyed it because I didn't want to hurt myself or anyone else. I hated it, just like I do now, but I make the right decisions for the right reasons.
The daughter of my Atlanta girlfriend has Petite Mal. When she turned 16 she thought her mother was going to let her take driving lessons.like all her friends were doing. Her daughter is now in her late 20's and still waiting for those lessons. And she now understands why her mother gave her a loud and clear "No". She has had a couple of seizures while riding with her mother in the car. Imagine if she had been driving. I shudder to even think about what could happen.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #18688
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I meant that I was being a busybody, "good two shoes" and doing it for the good of the public. I was doing for me. If it happened to be good for other people, great.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #18689
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't think you can judge her driving ability based on one mistake. She probably didn't check her blind spot. I see younger people make that mistake all the time, but they are usually lucky that no one is in that blind spot.

Yes, the accident is a good reason to have her driving evaluated.
Normally I would agree with you taxy except there was no blind spot. My left rear tire was even with her front bumper. She should have clearly seen me through her windshield.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #18690
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just got "the" phone call. We'll have to leave about 2 a.m. tomorrow to get to the hospital in time for my surgery slot. Good part is, I'm the first on the surgeon's list. I like that, plus it gives me nearly a whole day to get back up to speed after the surgery.

Let the games begin!!!!!