"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #18791
Chef Extraordinaire

I actually kept my appointment with my foot doctor. Toenails are in good shape, and he removed the start of a callous on the side of my foot.

I took my needlework with me and was doing it while he was working on me. We had a nice long conversation about needlework and other handcrafts that our grandmothers did and how it is disappearing. He used to have a lot of patients that brought their work with them. Now I am the only one he has seen in a long time doing it. I always have to have something in my hand to work on. Whether it be knitting, crocheting or needlework.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #18792
Certified Pretend Chef

Heading out soon to pick up my grandson from school. SO has hidden some eggs for him to find as part of the Easter experience. He'll have more eggs to find tomorrow followed by the Easter Day activities.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #18793
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Heading out soon to pick up my grandson from school. SO has hidden some eggs for him to find as part of the Easter experience. He'll have more eggs to find tomorrow followed by the Easter Day activities.
Andy, are these real cooked eggs or the plastic ones with a small prize inside?

More than 40 years ago I used to work in Charlestown for the police department. There was a candy factory there called Schrafft's. They had a store separate from the factory. I went there and spent about thirty dollars on candy for Poo's Easter basket. He pigged out and around ten o'clock I had to take him to the Relief Station. (our only access at the time to medical care in an emergency.) The diagnosis was very simple. Easteritis. He wasn't the only kid that was there that day with the same ailment. Lesson learned. For both of us. He never developed a sweet tooth and couldn't care less about Easter. And I never went overboard again with the candy treats.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #18794
Certified Pretend Chef

Addie, they are plastic eggs.

I remember the Schrafft's factory - loved Necco Wafers. 20 years ago I was at that building for a business meeting. It had been converted over to office space for some time. Any Necco candies still being made are made at a different location.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #18795
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, they are plastic eggs.

I remember the Schrafft's factory - loved Necco Wafers. 20 years ago I was at that building for a business meeting. It had been converted over to office space for some time. Any Necco candies still being made are made at a different location.
I worked in that building after it was converted. In the heat of the summer even though there was AC, you could smell the chocolate. I had a couple of aunts that were chocolate dippers there.

Necco Wafers can now be found in Revere. The Factory is a "state of the art" one and they hold tours. It is located not to far from where I live. I go by it all the time. A really nice looking building.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #18796
Chef Extraordinaire

I needed that much toast for all the sauce I made
Old 04-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #18797
Executive Chef

Oh Shame!

I BOUGHT hot cross buns for Friday! Mother will be spinning in her grave at the thought of hot X buns not made at home. Couldn't be bothered after the mammoth bake for last weekend's bake sale for Help For Heroes.

Do you have hot cross buns on Good Friday in the USA and elsewhere? They're sweet yeast buns with currants, candied citrus peel and spice and a pastry cross on the top, except I cheat and just cut a cross on the tops. I like them toasted and buttered but they are rather good (but un-traditional) with Cheshire cheese.

Must remember to get some fish for GF too. I'm not religious. I just like traditions.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #18798
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...Do you have hot cross buns on Good Friday in the USA and elsewhere? They're sweet yeast buns with currants, candied citrus peel and spice and a pastry cross on the top, except I cheat and just cut a cross on the tops. I like them toasted and buttered but they are rather good (but un-traditional) with Cheshire cheese.

Must remember to get some fish for GF too. I'm not religious. I just like traditions.

We do have HC buns here. Not sure how popular they still are. I used to see them in the house as a chld around Easter but not lately.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #18799
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I BOUGHT hot cross buns for Friday! Mother will be spinning in her grave at the thought of hot X buns not made at home. Couldn't be bothered after the mammoth bake for last weekend's bake sale for Help For Heroes.

Do you have hot cross buns on Good Friday in the USA and elsewhere? They're sweet yeast buns with currants, candied citrus peel and spice and a pastry cross on the top, except I cheat and just cut a cross on the tops. I like them toasted and buttered but they are rather good (but un-traditional) with Cheshire cheese.

We still have a couple of bakeries that make real hot cross buns and a few that make cinnamon raisin buns that resemble hot cross buns, it is a fading tradition.

We also still have a few bakeries that make the egg dolls, another fading tradition.

Easter Bread Dolls (Primorski Uskrsne Bebe) | The Suburban Peasant

I like to have a butter lamb on the table for Easter and have fond memories of a white coconut cake shaped like a lamb, I still have the lamb cake mold on a shelf in my kitchen.

These days my best meals are in my memory!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #18800
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a lot of Italians in my area that make the hot cross buns and the bakeries in this area still make the dolls. They also make a Pizzagania Pie. The Pirate's MIL used to make then every year and would make a small one for me. Easter is still a very big day in my area of Boston. When I stopped doing all the trimmings of the holiday, my oldest daughter took it over. Now her two children have grown up and with being sick, she too has stopped making the day special for her family. She, her husband and her daughter are going to her sisters-in-law for the day. All the fixings will be there, and I know they too will be giving my daughter something to bring home for me.

What I don't eat, The Pirate will. I know there will be way too much food for me.