"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #18811
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, if you do try your hand at counted cross stitch I have two suggestions. For your first project do a small image on a type of cloth called "Herta". It's a bit coarser than most counted fabrics, but it is sized for only six stitches per inch. It's easier to get the hang of it with the big Xs. Also, have a selection of colored pencils or markers in colors similar to the floss colors. As you complete your stitches color in that spot on the graph. Makes it easier to see where you've been and what's still left.

One year I decided to cross stitch an insert for a serving tray as a Christmas gift for my MIL...24 Xs to the inch. Good thing I liked her a lot since that danged thing took me almost 90 hours of stitching! Yes, I kept track. When my Mom saw the finished tray she said she liked the pattern. The next September I decided I would make the same wreath for her, but on Herta cloth for a large, framed picture they could have over the living room mantle. I finished it up by Christmas eve and my sainted husband took it downstairs and mounted and framed it into the wee hours of the morning just so Mom could have it on Christmas Day. Yeah, he got along great with my Mom too.
Thanks for the info CG. Before I started my reply, I Googled the name of the cloth and bookmarked it so I will be able to remember it. (I have senior moments.) By the looks of the material, the hole looks like it will be easy to learn. I saw a couple of cute little 3x5 items I would like to try my hand at. Years ago I did a stamped set of bathroom pictures that were really cute. My daughter loved them and had them for years hanging in her bathroom. After years of gently rinsing them, they finally fell apart and she had to toss them. These new ones are counted cross stitch and perfect. But they will have to wait until I finish my present project. Thanks a lot!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #18812
Master Chef

No problem Addie. As a bonus you can work the herta cloth all topside, as you can slip the needle into a hole for one corner of an "x" mark, then slid it right up through the diagonal hole. Projects work up quicker on herta, but if the design is large the finished project can get too big!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #18813
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No problem Addie. As a bonus you can work the herta cloth all topside, as you can slip the needle into a hole for one corner of an "x" mark, then slid it right up through the diagonal hole. Projects work up quicker on herta, but if the design is large the finished project can get too big!
Thank for the tip. Placed in my memory bank.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #18814
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Are there special needles for that? I would imagine it wouldn't need a sharp point, so a needle similar to a darning needle?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #18815
Master Chef

taxy, I think I used a needlepoint needle. The holes in the weave that form the corners of an "x" are big enough. Also, the piece I did in herta used wool yarn, not embroidery floss. I do remember the pattern saying you could use floss, using all six strands to get a full effect. I opted for the yarn and was very happy with the finished project. I don't know if you can see a difference between the two projects. The small tray is in 22 count using 3 strands of floss, the framed wreath is on the herta 6 count with, probably, crewel yarn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-16 14.27.06.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	21106  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #18816
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
taxy, I think I used a needlepoint needle. The holes in the weave that form the corners of an "x" are big enough. Also, the piece I did in herta used wool yarn, not embroidery floss. I do remember the pattern saying you could use floss, using all six strands to get a full effect. I opted for the yarn and was very happy with the finished project. I don't know if you can see a difference between the two projects. The small tray is in 22 count using 3 strands of floss, the framed wreath is on the herta 6 count with, probably, crewel yarn.
Ooh, nice.

I bet you can tell the difference with the real objects.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #18817
Master Chef

Sure can tell the difference, both with my eyes and, when I was stitching the, with my fingers. All this "talk" about needlework though has my fingers itching to see if I can do it again. I'll have to dig through my box of started projects. So many to pick from...
Old 04-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #18818
Master Chef

CG...those are beautiful!!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #18819
Master Chef

Thanks Cheryl. The tray is about 9x12 whereas the larger one is roughly 30 inches square. Both from the same pattern.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #18820
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We have so many great yarns and threads available to us now, that we can make our projects look like they were machine made.