"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #1881
Executive Chef

I have a few projects going. I am refinishing a coffee table my neighbor across the street was going to throw out because it is a perfect match for my étagère. They are both solid oak have a parkay pattern. I am also getting a head start on my spring cleaning, just in case I get a job and won't have time to clean house. It's too dirty to call a cleaning lady. I'd be embarrassed!

Oh, and as someone else mentioned above, I really do need to wash both my cars. I hardly go anywhere any more, so the insides are clean but the outside is a dusty mess and I can't see spending anywhere from $7.00 to $11.00 just to wash off dust. Are any of you familiar with a poem by Carl Sandburg called Fog? The fog comes on little cat feet...right down my windshield and across the hood!

Old 02-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #1882
Executive Chef

Off to buy a wax seal for one of the toilets in my house. It has been leaking and I think it is because I didn't have it level a few months ago when I replaced it. Going to take the toilet off, clean it all up and instal a new seal and level it well before screwing it down. Hopefully that will work. Otherwise, I may be looking at ripping the floor up and replacing the whole area around the flange with new wood, again..../ etc.....long story

Old 02-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #1883
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Off to buy a wax seal for one of the toilets in my house. It has been leaking and I think it is because I didn't have it level a few months ago when I replaced it. Going to take the toilet off, clean it all up and instal a new seal and level it well before screwing it down. Hopefully that will work. Otherwise, I may be looking at ripping the floor up and replacing the whole area around the flange with new wood, again..../ etc.....long story
As you may recall, I just replaced a toilet. A tip I heard from the plumber: Put the toilet in place on the wax seal then lay across the top of the toilet with your chest on it to apply even direct pressure to properly seat the toilet on the wax ring. He also heated the wax ring in some hot water in the sink for about 20 minutes before installing it so it would be soft (it was cold in his truck).
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #1884
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Eating some Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, getting ready to clean house.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #1885
Executive Chef

Sitting at a Café in Porto, Portugal with Android Cell

Sitting having a glass of wine, and on my Tablet Android, I am looking at Discuss Cooking Forum Community ... in Porto, Portugal ...
Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #1886
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As you may recall, I just replaced a toilet. A tip I heard from the plumber: Put the toilet in place on the wax seal then lay across the top of the toilet with your chest on it to apply even direct pressure to properly seat the toilet on the wax ring. He also heated the wax ring in some hot water in the sink for about 20 minutes before installing it so it would be soft (it was cold in his truck).
Will try that. I am always afraid to over tighten because I am never sure if it is tight enough, and I want the toilet to be sturdy and withstand long term use....
Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #1887
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Will try that. I am always afraid to over tighten because I am never sure if it is tight enough, and I want the toilet to be sturdy and withstand long term use....
I understand. Again, according to my plumber, over tightening can crack the toilet porcelain or pull the bolts out of the floor. It just needs to be tight enough to not rock back and forth when you sit on it and move around.

You might try tightening it in two steps. Once when you install it - not too tight. Then again a few days later after it's settled in through use.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #1888
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sitting here being mad at someone who likes to criticize.
Run ShreK!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #1889
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I understand. Again, according to my plumber, over tightening can crack the toilet porcelain or pull the bolts out of the floor. It just needs to be tight enough to not rock back and forth when you sit on it and move around.

You might try tightening it in two steps. Once when you install it - not too tight. Then again a few days later after it's settled in through use.
Well, I got the seal, but ended up getting into something else. I will go back and do it in a day or two. Thanks for the tips...
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #1890
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Run ShreK!!!
He's not fast enough!