"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #18951
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I am feeling much more rested after the codeine cough syrup last night knocked me out. I had a few coughing spells but nothing like the past nights. I am planning a resting day to try and get over this bronchitis as quickly and completely as possible.

One thing I really want to do today is plant my herb seedlings. I am so proud of them.

TB can pick up my dirt and pots as he needs some items to finish the fence - the contractor raised it, but left holes on the bottom that even Violet could get under if she wanted to! We have decided we are not going to get him back again, it is not worth the trouble. We are also not going to recommend him to anyone either!
OK, so I am not a doctor (as they say in the adverts) but do be careful with the codeine cough syrup. Codeine can upset your digestion and "bung you up" (from one who knows!)

Hope the bronchitis is seen off sharpish

Old 04-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #18952
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
You actually go to Costco to get things you NEED? We spent $400 the other day on frozen berries, pineapple, chicken wings and lactaid pills!
We managed to get the things Shrek needed and a lot more. I have a batch of asparagus to roast and a huge batch of strawberries to hull, slice, sugar and eat. Shrek bought huge white mushrooms to make stuffed mushrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I ALWAYS need (yes need!) Ling Ling brand pot stickers from Costco!
They had a different brand today made with pork, "Ajinomoto" Japanese style. Picked them up to try as they are in 5 separate enclosed trays, so no open bag to put in the freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We can't get out of Costco for less than $400. Good thing the closest Costco is 45 minutes away.
Costco is close enough I don't have to make huge purchases to make it worthwhile. I know, I'm spoiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I once got out of Costco with a receipt for less than $100. I have to say it that way, 'cause I bought a carton of cigarettes (they are at a separate cash) and the total of the two receipts was closer to $150.
I got out of there the other week with a receipt for $4.49...it was the day I was supposed to pick up a new prescription and I was so upset it wasn't there (hadn't been faxed) that I didn't bother to look around. I got a package of alcohol swabs.

The Sourdough Bread, Italian Bread, Multigrain and Rosemary/Olive Oil breads are part of a Road Show going on and today was the last day they would have it. I got 2 loaves of the sordough and two rosemary. Haven't had the rosemary, yet!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #18953
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Costco is close enough I don't have to make huge purchases to make it worthwhile. I know, I'm spoiled
We are spoiled too. Our Costco is within walking distance (for any person who can walk for 10 - 15 minutes, unlike me). It actually takes a little longer to drive because there is no direct access from our direction. You have to go around and come in the back way.

I usually make a moderate purchase once a week alternating things that we need, except the produce which I buy every week. The reason we did a $400+ shop yesterday was we bought new phones, and sundry items. We picked up a lot of meat which always costs more.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #18954
Certified Pretend Chef

Our Costco is next to our supermarket. We stop in a couple of times a month to stock up on various items.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #18955
Head Chef

Quote:
They had a different brand today made with pork, "Ajinomoto" Japanese style. Picked them up to try as they are in 5 separate enclosed trays, so no open bag to put in the freezer.
You mean no Ling Ling pot stickers? Ajiinomoto is a big company that uses MSG a lot---- does that mean this new brand has MSG in it?

I couldn't find any mention of MSG on the Ajiinomoto site (nutrition info). Does the package mention MSG or perhaps it's just in the sauce.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #18956
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Perfectly good photo for the purpose. Nice looking plants. Which ones will you be transplanting? The ones with flowers? You know we will want to see them again when they have been transplanted.
Almost all of them. The only ones that will be going into the ground are the 4 marigolds, the rest are going into larger pots. It will take me a while, because at least 10 of my indoor house plants need re-potted too.
Oy.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #18957
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our Costco is next to our supermarket. We stop in a couple of times a month to stock up on various items.
My closest Costco is 90 miles away.....
Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #18958
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
You mean no Ling Ling pot stickers? Ajiinomoto is a big company that uses MSG a lot---- does that mean this new brand has MSG in it?

I couldn't find any mention of MSG on the Ajiinomoto site (nutrition info). Does the package mention MSG or perhaps it's just in the sauce.

My mistake, they have the Ling Ling AND the Ajinomoto. As for MSG, no idea, I don't look because I don't have a sensitivity to it. I leave it out of my Japanese recipes, but don't avoid it.

I would look on the box, but I took it out to the dumpster already and I'm not Dumpster Diving in the rain
Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #18959
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...and I'm not Dumpster Diving in the rain
You mean, if it wasn't raining...
Old 04-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #18960
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You mean, if it wasn't raining...