"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #19121
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The doctor should have offered prescriptions for cream and medication for nerve pain. Patients should not have to rely on their current pain medications to help with new and DIFFERENT pain. Topical lidocaine and Neurontin would have helped immensely, if he is still having pain from the shingles call the doc and ask for those two I just mentioned.
We will probably ask for something eventually. DH is not a good patient. He took the antiviral med one day and quit, so the doctor is not real happy with him. I tried and tried to get him to continue on it but he said it made him nauseated and refused to take it. By the way, the nausea didn't go away for days. It probably wasn't the antiviral med that was causing it but you can't tell him that. I think this is why he is having such severe pain now. I took Neurontin for my shingles, but I had taken the antiviral meds so my pain was not as severe as his is. I was able to go to work with mine. There's no way he would have been able to work if he wasn't retired. With his severe pain, which would be better, the Neurontin or the Lidocaine topical, or can he take both?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #19122
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
No pain contract. He took more of the Percocets that were prescribed, and came awfully close to taking more than the recommended max dose according to the internet. He was taking them way sooner than recommended. He switched to Advil because he got too constipated with the Percocets. Then he was taking more Advil than the recommended max dose, and when I called him on it he cut back and is just living with the pain during the day but taking Advil at night so he can sleep.
The danger is not in the amount of narcotic in the Percocets, but the acetaminophen in them. If he was getting more than 3600 mg of acetaminophen, it's awful hard on his liver and can lead to Tylenol toxicity.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #19123
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

And I made these gorgeous deviled eggs for the volunteers' lunch. They were a big hit! :-)
Very attractive! What are they filled with?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #19124
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
We will probably ask for something eventually. DH is not a good patient. He took the antiviral med one day and quit, so the doctor is not real happy with him. I tried and tried to get him to continue on it but he said it made him nauseated and refused to take it. By the way, the nausea didn't go away for days. It probably wasn't the antiviral med that was causing it but you can't tell him that. I think this is why he is having such severe pain now. I took Neurontin for my shingles, but I had taken the antiviral meds so my pain was not as severe as his is. I was able to go to work with mine. There's no way he would have been able to work if he wasn't retired. With his severe pain, which would be better, the Neurontin or the Lidocaine topical, or can he take both?
He can use both at the same time...the lidocaine goes on his skin.

Man, I would do anything to not ever have shingle pain again, anything.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #19125
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He can use both at the same time...the lidocaine goes on his skin.

Man, I would do anything to not ever have shingle pain again, anything.

I had more pain before the blisters came out than I did afterwards. I have an appointment coming up and I think I'm going to get the shot. I don't ever want to go through what DH is going through.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #19126
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nothing worse than shingles pain. I had a whole belt of it around my middle, it was agony. I'll have to check out the shot too.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #19127
Master Chef

When I asked the doctor about the shingles vaccine he said it's only about 50% effective, but it does reduce the effects if you do contract it. I keep forgetting to check with my insurer to see what my co-pay will be. He was guessing it's $20, but it could be $40...or who knows with this healthcare roulette we have now...
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #19128
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When I asked the doctor about the shingles vaccine he said it's only about 50% effective, but it does reduce the effects if you do contract it. I keep forgetting to check with my insurer to see what my co-pay will be. He was guessing it's $20, but it could be $40...or who knows with this healthcare roulette we have now...
My copay for injections, is the standard prescription copay of $15.00 or the actual cost if it is less. If I have it done in my Doctor's office then it is included in the $15.00 office copay without any additional charge. I have been thinking about getting one of these now that I have reached 60. I don't remember anyone I know ever getting shingles, how common is it?
Old 05-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #19129
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
My copay for injections, is the standard prescription copay of $15.00 or the actual cost if it is less. If I have it done in my Doctor's office then it is included in the $15.00 office copay without any additional charge. I have been thinking about getting one of these now that I have reached 60. I don't remember anyone I know ever getting shingles, how common is it?
If you had chicken pox as a child, you are more likely to get shingles the older you get. And if you didn't have them, then you really do need to get the shot. I was curious, so I asked my doctor about getting them from someone who has shingles. And the answer was a resounding "Yes!"
Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #19130
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Very attractive! What are they filled with?
Thanks. Just a basic deviled egg mixture of egg yolks, mayo, dill pickles, vinegar, and S&P. I garnished them with chives from my garden.