"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #19161
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Mine has done that for several months now. In reality, the acetaminophen is supposed to potentiate the hydrocodone (in Vicodin) so now people may want their pain dose upped!

It''s a no win/no win situation.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #19162
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Waiting to haul the Ogre to his check up...he just now remembered he was supposed to have fasting blood work done. After chowing down on three old fashioned donuts covered in chocolate, a cup of coffee and a V-8 juice.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #19163
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Waiting to haul the Ogre to his check up...he just now remembered he was supposed to have fasting blood work done. After chowing down on three old fashioned donuts covered in chocolate, a cup of coffee and a V-8 juice.
My last physical, I forgot about fasting. So, I have to go back for the blood test. At least my doctor is good at taking blood.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #19164
Head Chef

Quote:
Some labs/doctors now just ask that a person gets their fasting blood tests at the same time, after previously eating the same kind of meal each time.

That's for my lipids tests. If there are other fasting tests that are for more serious reasons then fasting may be imperative.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #19165
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My mother was diabetic, so I always get checked for that.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #19166
Certified Pretend Chef

I have to do the fasting blood tests too. I just don't eat anything after dinner and go for my test first thing in the morning. Then back home for breakfast and coffee.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #19167
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The day the first warning came out, Winthrop came and picked up what I had on hand at that time. A couple of hours later they sent a replacement of the new drug that had lesser Tylenol. One of Winthrop's good point. They react immediately.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #19168
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The fasting is imperative.

I have a hard enough time remembering my own blood tests, tomorrow is soon enough. I'm not letting him cancel this appointment, it's the replacement for the last one he cancelled. I would end up rearranging another of my work days, he's the one who insists I go to his appointments with him.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #19169
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I'll give my new chainsaw a try. It's absolutely gorgeous out and I should be outside doing all the things I've put off since last October...
Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #19170
Head Chef

"Total Cholesterol and HDL

"Preparation:
This test may be measured any time of the day without fasting. However, if the test is drawn as part of a total lipid profile, it requires a 12-hour fast (no food or drink, except water)."

Lipid Blood Tests

"Requiring a patient to fast for many hours before a lipid test may soon be a thing of the past.

Although present guidelines encourage doctors to test for total lipids and lipid subclass levels only when a patient has fasted for more than eight hours, a report published online November 12, 2012 in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that there may no longer be a need for a patient to fast [1]. There is very little difference in lipid levels when measured in a fasting or nonfasting state, according to the research.

"The incremental gain in information of a fasting profile is exceedingly small for total- and HDL-cholesterol values"

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/791376

There are some limitations to that study (aren't there always? ) Perhaps age and other co-morbidities demand that fasting is necessary.

Evidently my doctors felt it wasn't necessary to fast.
For glucose monitoring there are various methods used:

"There are several different types of blood glucose tests.

Fasting blood sugar (FBS) measures blood glucose after you have not eaten for at least 8 hours. It is often the first test done to check for prediabetes and diabetes.

2-hour postprandial blood sugar measures blood glucose exactly 2 hours after you start eating a meal. This is not a test used to diagnose diabetes.

Random blood sugar (RBS) measures blood glucose regardless of when you last ate. Several random measurements may be taken throughout the day. Random testing is useful because glucose levels in healthy people do not vary widely throughout the day. Blood glucose levels that vary widely may mean a problem. This test is also called a casual blood glucose test."

Blood Glucose Levels: Testing and Normal Range

For those that are worried about getting diabetes or have diabetes----- they should do what their doctor advises.