"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #1921
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I got it because I choked on coffee a couple days ago...now that is REALLY silly.

I'm still ambulatory, not doing too bad. Just have this nasty cough.
Oh no! No more coffee for you, PF! Get well soon!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #1922
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh no! No more coffee for you, PF! Get well soon!
We'll all have to avoid spitting coffee on monitor humor until PF recovers..

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #1923
Chef Extraordinaire

Hope you are feeling better PF.

Just relaxing for about an hour before we need to go to mass for ash wednesday mass tonight.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #1924
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Resting my back after scrubbing part of my %*$(#&^ white vinyl tile floor. I made the mistake of waxing it, and have been paying the price for 2 years trying to get it white again. Grrrrr!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #1925
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Resting my back after scrubbing part of my %*$(#&^ white vinyl tile floor. I made the mistake of waxing it, and have been paying the price for 2 years trying to get it white again. Grrrrr!
Sounds like you need some wax stripper.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #1926
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sounds like you need some wax stripper.
I haven't been able to find any. I'm limited pretty much to Walmart.

I got some Goo Gone and thought about trying it, but it's pretty hard to rinse off.

I'm just about to try online to see if I can find some there to order.

It's ridiculous the work and backaches I've gone through and it still looks like c**p.

I've covered most of the floor with scatter rugs, but they don't cover everything.

The thing is, it looks pretty good (not great) for awhile after scrubbing. Not mopping - hands and knees scrubbing. I rinse several times with a wet dish towel, but a few days later it's got gray areas that highlight the leftover yellow wax. This comes from smoke and dust, leaving another mess to scrub when I feel like tackling it again.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #1927
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just found and ordered Armstrong wax stripper. Finally, I found one I didn't have to buy by the case. It is 32 oz. and the shipping cost more than the product, but still less than $10. I just hope it works!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #1928
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Z, when I lived in Tacoma, I moved into a house where the previous tenant used Mop & Glo. Remember that treasure? Never had to wash you floor again? The floor was a pretty black confetti tile. But you would never know it. It was grey wax. At least a quarter inch thick. I took a solution of ammonia and water, swabbed a small area, let it sit for about 10 minutes or so, and then took my heavy metal dustpan and scraped up all the wax. It was nice and soft by then. (Make sure the house is well ventilated.) That is how thick it was. And I had two rooms of it. Fortunately, it was warm outside and I had the doors and windows open. Sometimes I would have to do a second applicaton. Don't give up hope. My landlady thought she was going to have replace the floor. It looked like the day she had it installed. Fortunately, we no longer have to wax todays tiles.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #1929
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've tried ammonia. It didn't do much; and when I'm scrubbing on my hands and knees, the smell is too overpowering. With all the scrubbing I've done, you'd think it would be all gone by now, but nooooo.

My last several attempts have been using a pump spray version of bathroom cleaner.

My back wouldn't be hurting so much, but I decided to try rearranging the scatter rugs.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #1930
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I haven't been able to find any. I'm limited pretty much to Walmart.

I got some Goo Gone and thought about trying it, but it's pretty hard to rinse off.

I'm just about to try online to see if I can find some there to order.

It's ridiculous the work and backaches I've gone through and it still looks like c**p.

I've covered most of the floor with scatter rugs, but they don't cover everything.

The thing is, it looks pretty good (not great) for awhile after scrubbing. Not mopping - hands and knees scrubbing. I rinse several times with a wet dish towel, but a few days later it's got gray areas that highlight the leftover yellow wax. This comes from smoke and dust, leaving another mess to scrub when I feel like tackling it again.
Remember the oil spill in Prince William's Sound in Alaska? Crude oil is nasty stuff. A rescue worker in desperation went home and got her bottle of Dawn Dish Liquid and found that it diluted the crude oil in the cold waters of Alaska. Enough that they could get it off the feathers of the wildlife. A few phone calls and cases and cases of Dawn were flown into the site. Dawn now donates their product to all oil spills to help the wildlife.

Go fast forward a couple of years. My BIL had a small boat that he loved to go out fishinig in. We had a bad Nor'easter and his boat got swamped while it was tied up at the dock. It sank. When they raised it, they took out the engine and were just let it going to sit and dry out for the rest of the summer. The only problem, oil was leaking everywhere. They needed to wash the exposed parts of the engine plus clean up the leaked spots. My sister called me in desperation. I told her about Dawn. Problem solved.

Moral of the story. Remember straight Dawn solves that greasy problem. And everytime you buy their product, they donate a dollar plus their product to saving wildlife when there is an oil spill. Use it to get rid of that greasy feeling that Goo Be Gone leaves.