"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #19341
Executive Chef

Hard on the heels of getting over my injuries from the fall that I had when Horse knocked me over (not his fault) I've had another fall. Turned my ankle on a bit of uneven ground and rather than saving myself as I could have a few years ago I measured my length and bashed myself on the nose and chin. I've been thinking for a while that I needed something in the strength and suppleness line and had a go at pilates and thought about yoga and the Fitness League (formerly Women's League of Health and Beauty) all of which I decided were a no go for me. In addition, it's taking me a lot of effort (PHYSICAL effort - stop laughing at the back!) to get out of bed in the morning.

I have never been a threat to Jane Fonda and was better at skiving off sports than playing them at school. However, in the 1980s I used to go to a Callanetics class and loved it but the girl running it fell ill and gave up and I couldn't find another convenient class. It's very gentle exercise based on stretching and strengthening - very relaxing and very effective - it did what it said on the tin.

Serendipitously I came across a DVD of "Beginning Callanetics" on Amazon last week. Ordered it and it came on Friday. Whoopee! It's a 30 minute "work out" but the DVD runs for nearly an hour so plenty of how to do it properly if you have joint or back probs.

I started it today. Just concentrating on the first three upper body exercises today. It won't shift any weight and it's harder work than when I did it in my 30s, due to stiffness, etc., but do-able and relaxing. I really think I'm going to enjoy it.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #19342
Chef Extraordinaire

My goodness. Have you got accident insurance?

I am sitting here at this stupid computer when I should be cleaning and scrubbing out my three waste baskets. I also need to vacuum my main room and wash the kitchen floor. I was hoping The Pirate would show up last night and I could lay some Mother's Guilt on him so he would at least do the baskets for me. Hmmm. Some Mother's Day.

Tomorrow night I am going to get my hair cut. Compliments of my daughter. My Mother's Day present. She has been on her chemo for the past week and I won't be surprised if she decides she can't go. It takes her at least a week to feel better after her week of chemo.

Well, Happy Mother's Day Ladies. Even for those who were never blessed (or cursed) with children. You probably made a deep impression on some child that will make a difference in their life.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #19343
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Hard on the heels of getting over my injuries from the fall that I had when Horse knocked me over (not his fault) I've had another fall. Turned my ankle on a bit of uneven ground and rather than saving myself as I could have a few years ago I measured my length and bashed myself on the nose and chin.
May I suggest a read through this: CDC - Falls Compendium FaME - Older Adult Falls - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

If you are going to fall, getting back up is the main thing. Sorry you had falls and got hurt. I have the tendency to trip over Handicap Ramps or sliding down them and falling.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #19344
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Trying to get that first cup of coffee in so I can go do laundry.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #19345
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Trying to get that first cup of coffee in so I can go do laundry.
Thanks for the reminder. I know, it sounds stupid that I would need a reminder about first cup of the morning coffee. I take a pill for osteoporosis on Sunday mornings. I'm not allowed to have anything before or for half an hour after I take the pill. I have to put coffee out of my mind after the danged pill, so once in a while, the half hour is up and I don't remember I can have the coffee. It's hard not to be a bit stupid before that first cup.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #19346
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got back from the grocery store.
I'm going to sit here for a while, then take out the bacon and cream cheese and prepare my ABTs.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #19347
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I know, it sounds stupid that I would need a reminder about first cup of the morning coffee. I take a pill for osteoporosis on Sunday mornings. I'm not allowed to have anything before or for half an hour after I take the pill. I have to put coffee out of my mind after the danged pill, so once in a while, the half hour is up and I don't remember I can have the coffee. It's hard not to be a bit stupid before that first cup.
Understood...fasting blood work means I am on the road with no coffee, good thing there is a coffee shop in the hospital.

Shrek needed coffee to make coffee this morning...rough start.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #19348
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just got back from the grocery store.
I'm going to sit here for a while, then take out the bacon and cream cheese and prepare my ABTs.
I just got my country style pork ribs in the crockpot with onions and a nice sauce for pulled pork later.

Lordy, Lordy...it's snowing, about 1 inch so far!
Old 05-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #19349
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I just got my country style pork ribs in the crockpot with onions and a nice sauce for pulled pork later.

But, I'll bet you are pleased. Good thing you weren't planning on grilling those ribs.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #19350
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Are you kidding? You're getting snow right now?!

I've got the ABTs done and in the fridge and a chuck roast poked with garlic slivers and seasoned with Italian herbs wrapped up and as Emeril would say, getting happy.