"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #19501
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

I'm making and canning another batch of rhubarb jam, hopefully this time it will set up. The last batch was more like rhubarb sauce, I think I added too much water. It's still tasty. This time I added a bit of orange juice and no water, and no pectin. And I'm gonna cook the crap out of it.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #19502
Certified Cake Maniac

I've had a bit of an up and down day.

I was up and out early, having to drop off the last crocheted squares for an afghan that a friend and I are making for a young woman getting married. We each did half the squares, then she is putting the rows together and I will do the edging.

While there I found out their daughter gave birth to her first last night at 5:20 pm - exactly on her due date (one day after her own birthday). This is like another grandchild for me as she and her sister and brother have been in my life for most of theirs. I will once again be Granny Laurie (her sister's boy calls me that as do a few other of my youth groups' kids) and couldn't be happier.

Violet cost me $400 at the vet today (see the Pets thread) and though I would never worry about the cost of making her better, we still don't have any answers yet. Do you know they charged $45 for urine analysis and another $15 for urine handling? Excuse me? I am the one that "handled" it trying to grab the sample. They just used gloves to put it into a plastic bag.

Tonight I am continuing to work on the invites and announcements for our ceremony. I am thinking making them by hand was not such a great idea. Even though there aren't that many, it is a lot of work.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #19503
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm making and canning another batch of rhubarb jam, hopefully this time it will set up. The last batch was more like rhubarb sauce, I think I added too much water. It's still tasty. This time I added a bit of orange juice and no water, and no pectin. And I'm gonna cook the crap out of it.
Dawg, I love rhubarb jam. We have a young couple that gives us some rhubarb every year. I make loaves and jam out of it and give some back to them. A win-win situation! I actually like rhubarb sauce warm on ice cream!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #19504
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Dawg, I love rhubarb jam. We have a young couple that gives us some rhubarb every year. I make loaves and jam out of it and give some back to them. A win-win situation! I actually like rhubarb sauce warm on ice cream!

Thanks LP!

I have a feeling that my neighbor's rhubarb is really "juicey". I cooked the crap out of it, but it's still not as thick as that I've made in the past. Oh well, my friends who don't have access to rhubarb will love it!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #19505
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Thanks LP!

I have a feeling that my neighbor's rhubarb is really "juicey". I cooked the crap out of it, but it's still not as thick as that I've made in the past. Oh well, my friends who don't have access to rhubarb will love it!
You could try with no water. Let it sit with the sugar for a while. That should draw out some of the juice.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #19506
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

I didn't use any water, the rhubarb was dry except for 1/4 cup of orange juice. I don't get it, I've made rhubarb for years, and never had it been this juicy! It is pretty good right now, kind of like rhubarb butter...
Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #19507
Master Chef

Picked some rhubarb and green onions from our garden this morning. Got them all cleaned and in the ref.. With the rhubarb I am going to make the Sour Cream Rhubarb Cake that is in this months Penzey's catalog. And the green onions, I can't wait until supper to eat them.:-)
Old 05-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #19508
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I didn't use any water, the rhubarb was dry except for 1/4 cup of orange juice. I don't get it, I've made rhubarb for years, and never had it been this juicy! It is pretty good right now, kind of like rhubarb butter...
So, you left out the water this go.

You could do what Danes do; make a rhubarb "pudding". It's usually thickened with potato starch. It's served cold with cream.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #19509
Proud American

I was buzzing the neighbor's chihuahuas with my remote controlled helicopter. HA!

With love,
~Cat
Old 05-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #19510
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I was buzzing the neighbor's chihuahuas with my remote controlled helicopter. HA!

With love,
~Cat
The yapping must have been horrendous!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valentines3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	21341