"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #19811
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Lol! That's too bad, BC. Snakes are so cool and very beneficial. Of course, I can't kill spiders either, they're cool too. Hope you haven't burned your car yet.

I sorted through the suitcase that's held together with duct tape and contains our snorkeling gear and travel equipment. Guess it's time to retire it. US baggage handlers are really hard on luggage, I think they purposely drag it over sandpaper and have the Samsonite gorilla stomp on it. When there's more duct tape than suitcase, it's time to go. I have a new one that I'm sure they'll put through the belt sander and gorilla for our next trip.
I wish that I had a second set of luggage to fly with, my good stuff looks more ragged every trip.

I wouldn't mind snakes, but some of them could kill you... I'm not saying that I'd like them, but they would freak me out less. We also have spiders that are venomous, umm no! My coworker came to work limping a couple weeks ago, he went to urgent care before coming to work because his foot was very swollen, he got bitten by a brown recluse spider. I grew up in a part of the country without venomous creatures

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #19812
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I wish that I had a second set of luggage to fly with, my good stuff looks more ragged every trip.

I wouldn't mind snakes, but some of them could kill you... I'm not saying that I'd like them, but they would freak me out less. We also have spiders that are venomous, umm no! My coworker came to work limping a couple weeks ago, he went to urgent care before coming to work because his foot was very swollen, he got bitten by a brown recluse spider. I grew up in a part of the country without venomous creatures

We have rattlers up here, but I've never seen one in the wild. And brown recluses and black widows. My cleaning lady's husband was bitten by a brown recluse. Mostly I've found wolf spiders, I try to gently put them outside, where apparently the snakes eat them. Along with the usual run of the mill spiders.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #19813
Head Chef

On the ranch we had LOTS of rattlesnakes and kept our homemade rattler catcher handy at all times. Sitting on the slatted porch we could hear them when there was a 'mix-up' among the group. Or maybe it was sex, dunno.

When I picked bush green beans or squash on hot days I would poke a stick in the bush first just to be safe--- had too many close calls esp. when I was alone on the ranch miles and miles away from anywhere.

I guess rattlers do serve a purpose, some where, but they're just too dangerous for me to want them around. Esp. the one that came into the house on a really hot day!! Geesh!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #19814
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
LOL!!!

I read that and was going to chime in. Didn't have the heart to freak Bake Chef out.I like Bake chef. Were best buds and stuff.

Curiosity is getting the best of me though. Have wondered how his new seat belt scarf is working out..Terrible I know...See why I didn't?

B/C don't pull over to txt. They always look for a warm spot.
Just get home fast!
And keep those hedge cutters handy!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #19815
Honey Badger

We went to a restaurant that seriously meant it when they said "fresh caught" Didn't see this until afterwards.Gah!....I ordered Chicken strips!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #19816
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
We went to a restaurant that seriously meant it when they said "fresh caught" Didn't see this until afterwards.Gah!....I ordered Chicken strips!!!

As they say, "Tastes like chicken!" I think I'd go for picking out my own lobster....
Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #19817
Master Chef

bakechef, you're going to want to close your eyes on this one.

My friend's husband works at a gold mine out here in the desert, and there are a lot of rattlers out there. A couple of weeks ago, a co-worker of his got in his SUV, did the cursory snake check, and drove home. His wife got in the SUV, did several errands, got home, and went to take the groceries out of the back and there was a rattlesnake in the back of the SUV.

Much as snakes give me the heebie jeebies, I agree with others that they are useful critters - they sure do help to keep the rodent population down, and to me rodents are worse than snakes. Ewww...
Old 06-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #19818
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
bakechef, you're going to want to close your eyes on this one.

My friend's husband works at a gold mine out here in the desert, and there are a lot of rattlers out there. A couple of weeks ago, a co-worker of his got in his SUV, did the cursory snake check, and drove home. His wife got in the SUV, did several errands, got home, and went to take the groceries out of the back and there was a rattlesnake in the back of the SUV.

Much as snakes give me the heebie jeebies, I agree with others that they are useful critters - they sure do help to keep the rodent population down, and to me rodents are worse than snakes. Ewww...
Snake in the grass, or in Bakechef's wheel well, I can handle. Rattlesnake in the trunk, probably not so much!

Ground squirrels are my nemesis here. They dig up all my seeds and gnaw off my bean plants. Apparently they like garlic, I've found a bunch of empty garlic paper where I'd planted some sprouted cloves. I used to use rat traps baited with peanut butter, and always caught a lot, but since we have a heavily wooded lot, there is always a steady supply of ground squirrels. And don't get me started on moles. Or deer. Or bunnies. Or raccoons.

So now, I just let nature do what it does. And figure I'll have to double-plant everything.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #19819
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
...I grew up in a part of the country without venomous creatures
Wait, I thought you grew up in Maine? Aren't their mosquitoes the size of a B-52 bomber?

I decided to wind down tonight by spending a bit of time here. Earlier this evening I set up part of the basement into what Himself calls my "Chick Cave". Our basement isn't finished but we do have amenities like a TV, a nice speaker set-up for the computer, and a table/desk I can sit at to play on the computer or sort through recipes and magazines. Life is Good when you're happy with simple stuff.

I've gotten quite a few things accomplished during my sorta-Sabbatical. Unfortunately, a lot of it wasn't on my original list. Yes I got about 25% of the basement "stuff" sorted out. As a bonus, part of the floor was also washed. More like rinsed. Unfortunately, the reason was a leaky hot water tank that we replaced. Thankfully, it was a slow leak. We had warning, made arrangements quickly with a quality plumber, and had the new one in place about 48 hours after the first noticeable moisture on the brick base the tank sits on. All the standing water was limited to the area immediately around the tank. No "inch of water" across the entire basement floor, thank goodness.

Looks like another couple days of basement cleaning seeing as we're supposed to have temps in the mid-to-upper 80s and humidity through Wednesday. After that it might be nice enough for even me to be out in the yard working in the gardens.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #19820
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wee bit chilly this morning, I'm under a blanket and getting ready for work