"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #19871
Master Chef

Take care Addie. Maybe it's time to have a daily juice glass of cranberry juice? If you add a shot of vodka (which I know you would never do since you don't drink) it makes a cocktail called a Cape Codder.

I'm goofing off. If "Goofing Off" was an Olympic sport I'd win the gold medal every time. I should be gardening - the weather is perfect for it. But the stack of magazines and the last of the coffee are telling me to waste the day and settle into the futon in the sun room until baseball time at 7:00 PM. My beloved Indians are the game of the week on Fox and I can actually see how these guys play....on mute. I really want to hear our play-by-play announcer instead, even though the audio will be a pitch behind what we've seen on the TV. Such is life for the cheap and lazy.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #19872
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I got home from shopping a while ago. I have tried out my new Bodum, burr coffee grinder and it seems to work well. I got recommendations from friends and checked the reviews. Looks like it's easy to clean too. BISTRO | Electric coffee grinder Red | Bodum Online Shop | Canada I got the red one.

I also bought some groceries, including coffee beans, and some booze. The SAQ (provincial liquor store) was having a 10% off purchases of $100 and more, so I got a big bottle of Amarula and two boxes of wine.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #19873
Master Chef

Loved my Bodum grinder taxy! I hope you enjoy yours just as much. Unfortunately, I broke the glass grounds catcher. When I contacted Bodum about a replacement it would have cost about $20 or so by the time I paid for shipping and stuff. My BIL has had a Cuisinart forever. It's built like a tank AND it has a plastic container to collect the grounds. I used my BedBathandBeyond 10% coupon, Discover cash-back cards, and got the Cuisinart "free". Meh, it's OK. Grinds alright, but not as precisely as the Bodum. And it isn't anywhere near as easy to clean. Again, I hope you like that Bodum as much as I did Bottoms up!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #19874
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here watching Rosie Roomba make her rounds. She just loves under my bed. I think she did a better job the first time I let her out. I think the problem was with the floor plan. I had the fan out in the middle of the floor and she cleaned around it, but wouldn't go past it to clean the other half of the room. I finally sent her back to sleep. But we will work out the problems as they come up. I can believe some of the fault is with me and the way this room is situated. Otherwise, I love her.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #19875
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Loved my Bodum grinder taxy! I hope you enjoy yours just as much. Unfortunately, I broke the glass grounds catcher. When I contacted Bodum about a replacement it would have cost about $20 or so by the time I paid for shipping and stuff. My BIL has had a Cuisinart forever. It's built like a tank AND it has a plastic container to collect the grounds. I used my BedBathandBeyond 10% coupon, Discover cash-back cards, and got the Cuisinart "free". Meh, it's OK. Grinds alright, but not as precisely as the Bodum. And it isn't anywhere near as easy to clean. Again, I hope you like that Bodum as much as I did Bottoms up!
Nice to read. I was thinking about the Cuisinart. But, ease of cleaning is a big deal to me. I also liked that most of the reviews said there was less static with the glass.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #19876
Chef Extraordinaire

Yay for Rosie Roomba.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #19877
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I also liked that most of the reviews said there was less static with the glass.
Definitely less static with the glass. Another hint I picked up along the way was to take a barely damp paper towel and wipe the inside of the glass collector before using. By the time you have it all put together the water has evaporated so that the grounds don't stick to wet, but they don't stick on the dry glass either. I would then use that same paper towel to wipe down the blade and such after I ground my coffee.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #19878
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Definitely less static with the glass. Another hint I picked up along the way was to take a barely damp paper towel and wipe the inside of the glass collector before using. By the time you have it all put together the water has evaporated so that the grounds don't stick to wet, but they don't stick on the dry glass either. I would then use that same paper towel to wipe down the blade and such after I ground my coffee.
Thanks for the tip. I have found it to be pretty static-free, so far.

How often should I clean the burr? Is it okay to put a bunch of beans in the bean holder and leave them there for the next time?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #19879
Head Chef

Smile

Today I finally went to the Taste Of London festival - a kind of Glastonbury festival equivalent for foodies. It has lots of free taste samples, plus small/tapas size meals you can buy that the restaurants there cook e.g. their signature dishes...oh and cookery demos. (One demo I went to said to let marinade food rest a while, i.e. not cook straight away .... maybe that was aimed at the complete amateur! )

The small producers were very interesting e.g. their range of artisan baked breads and organic juice combos. Whilst none of the sample tapa meals blew me away (I guess I was expecting something exceptional), there was so much diversity there.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #19880
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks for the tip. I have found it to be pretty static-free, so far.

How often should I clean the burr? Is it okay to put a bunch of beans in the bean holder and leave them there for the next time?
I'm obsessive with cleaning appliances (not so much with the house outside of the kitchen ) so I cleaned up after each grinding session. I have a hinged-lock glass container I would use for a few days worth of grounds, then I would clean the Bodum. FWIW, I appropriated my old pastry brush to use for brushing the coffee off the burr and also down into the shoot that leads to the glass container. And I would pretty much wash or wipe down all the working parts when I changed bags of beans because I then change varieties of coffees.

I never left beans in the hopper. Why? Because, invariably, I would forget that the beans spill all over creation if you take the hopper off while the beans are in there!