"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #19891
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just had my summer tires/wheels put on the car and an oil change and they checked that nothing else needed to be done. Kinda late in the year, but I had other things going on.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #19892
Certified Cake Maniac

Summoning the energy to wake up!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #19893
Executive Chef

Went shopping this morning and came home with 4 kilos of goosegogs (gooseberries to the uninitiated). I didn't actually mean to buy that many but I get confused when trying to convert lbs and ounces to kgs in my head. I will be making 6lbs of them into gooseberry jam and freezing the rest for gooseberry sauce to serve with mackerel, gooseberry pie or crumble to eat in the winter and to remind me of this glorious hot summer. When I got home I went for a walk to pick some elderflowers to add to the goosegogs as they add a special something to the jam.

Too hot at the moment (18.00hours) so will wait to make the jam when it's cooled off a bit.

I'm going to make some marmalade as well as I didn't get round to it in the winter. I'll be cheating though as I'm using canned cooked marmalade oranges - just add sugar and water, cook to setting point and pot. Making marmalade from scratch with Seville oranges is a long-winded nightmare so I'm quite happy to let Messrs Hartley do the leg work for me!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #19894
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Went shopping this morning and came home with 4 kilos of goosegogs (gooseberries to the uninitiated). I didn't actually mean to buy that many but I get confused when trying to convert lbs and ounces to kgs in my head. I will be making 6lbs of them into gooseberry jam and freezing the rest for gooseberry sauce to serve with mackerel, gooseberry pie or crumble to eat in the winter and to remind me of this glorious hot summer. When I got home I went for a walk to pick some elderflowers to add to the goosegogs as they add a special something to the jam.

Too hot at the moment (18.00hours) so will wait to make the jam when it's cooled off a bit.

I'm going to make some marmalade as well as I didn't get round to it in the winter. I'll be cheating though as I'm using canned cooked marmalade oranges - just add sugar and water, cook to setting point and pot. Making marmalade from scratch with Seville oranges is a long-winded nightmare so I'm quite happy to let Messrs Hartley do the leg work for me!
My Mom's Aunt (from Leeds) loved gooseberry jam. I remember as a child trying it and not liking it but had some later in life and really enjoyed it.

I made marmalade for my Mom one year for Christmas. I didn't have a clue how much work it was before I started. She was thrilled and amazed as I gave her 12 jars! Yes, a lot of work, but a labour of Love!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #19895
Honey Badger

Getting ready to play with my LEM.
Were going to grind up 20Lbs of pork shoulder butt for breakfast sausage.
20Lbs beef round knuckle for ground beef.The butcher has some nice fat pieces ready for me to pick up and use. Hope he doesn't try con me into trying to make sausages today.Knowing him he's already got the casings ready to!

Still have to make hubby's lunch.It's going to be a long day.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #19896
Master Chef

Got a call from the library that my book was in, so I just went and picked it up. Lots of traffic this time of day. Now I am just waiting to meet one of my grand-daughters and her family. We are going to Happy Joe's for pizza. Yum!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #19897
Certified Cake Maniac

I have been doing and folding laundry all afternoon. It is not that we have that many dirty clothes....I am trying to get everything (sheets, towels, etc.) done before a form work friend of TB's picks up our washer & dryer and we wait for our new ones to be delivered a few days later.

We ordered a top of the line LG set, front loading with pedestals so that it will be easier on my back. I didn't need the top of the line, but it was on sale and TB said I deserve it!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #19898
Master Chef

Oooh, I used to love my grammy's gooseberry jam and pie. Haven't had it in decades.

I'm relaxing'. Dinner is done, kitchen is clean, laundry folded and put away. Going to go for a walk around sunset.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #19899
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Is it too early to want to be poolside with a ice cold beverage? That's what I'm trying to do.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #19900
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Only if the sun isn't up yet...In my case, it isn't.

On Edit: The sun just peeked over the mountain...<insert ELO>