"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #19941
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use a personal fan (4") on my desk and a box fan in front of it. I use another box fan in the bedroom. My monthly electric bill is $25, compared to others that use their A/C all the time whose bill is $70-$80 or more.

I stay comfortable with my windows open most of the time. If I get too warm I close the windows and run the A/C for awhile then turn it off and leave the windows closed until after 5pm.

Box fans are $20 or less, but save more than that in electric cost in the first month.

Taxy, I'd suggest you get one just for your computer room.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #19942
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I wondered about that. I would have tried it if I could find a good place to put it. I may try harder, since you say it makes a significant difference. Ours cools the house just fine, but it is aimed in such a way that it doesn't put a lot of cool air in Stirling's office, the one that has so many computers running that we don't have to heat it in winter.

I can set the central air 2F warmer with the fan going and we're comfortable. Our main floor is a LR and kitchen with a dining area. The fan lives in the passage between. It blows into the LR in the evening. During the day, it's moved about 6-8 feet so it hits the kitchen and dining area as that's where people are.

The two BRs upstairs have ceiling fans to assist the A/C. The fans are mounted over the beds and the control is mounted above the headboard.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #19943
Master Chef

Ceiling fans do help so much. I have one in all the bedrooms, living room, and dining room. I especially love the one in my bedroom - the quiet hum is so relaxing and helps me go to sleep. My daughter has the oscillating fans too, and she loves them.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #19944
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Ceiling fans do help so much. I have one in all the bedrooms, living room, and dining room. I especially love the one in my bedroom - the quiet hum is so relaxing and helps me go to sleep. My daughter has the oscillating fans too, and she loves them.
Absolutely agree with this. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms upstairs and the living room, dining room, my office, the kitchen and the sunroom downstairs. I couldn't cook in the summer in the kitchen without them.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #19945
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Today, I'm polishing up my grocery lists for tomorrow's shopping.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #19946
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Absolutely agree with this. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms upstairs and the living room, dining room, my office, the kitchen and the sunroom downstairs. I couldn't cook in the summer in the kitchen without them.
I, personally, don't find any difference by the use of ceiling fans. They just seem to move hot air around. Fortunately where I live there's not the oppressive heat that others might have---- at least not for very long at a time.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #19947
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I can set the central air 2F warmer with the fan going and we're comfortable. Our main floor is a LR and kitchen with a dining area. The fan lives in the passage between. It blows into the LR in the evening. During the day, it's moved about 6-8 feet so it hits the kitchen and dining area as that's where people are.

The two BRs upstairs have ceiling fans to assist the A/C. The fans are mounted over the beds and the control is mounted above the headboard.
Am I understanding this right? You have a movable air conditioner that lives on the ground floor. Do the ceiling fans in the bedrooms "suck" the cool air upstairs?

Our air conditioner is not movable. It's "ductless" and is mounted at the top of the stairs, more or less facing the master bedroom.

I'm hoping to "push" some cold air the opposite direction, into Stirling's office and the spare bedroom.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #19948
Certified Pretend Chef

No, that's not it. We have central air conditioning. Ductwork in the walls take cooled air to every room.

We have an oscillating floor fan that we keep on the main floor of the condo and move around to move the air in the rooms were using at the time. That fan creates air movement that aids the A/C in cooling us so the A/C doesn't have to work as much.

The ceiling fans in the bedrooms blow on you in the bed and help cool you as you sleep (or whatever).
Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #19949
Master Chef

I just finished washing the kitchen floor and I'm sweating like a pig. Steve is off flying an Angel Flight mission, so I turned on all the fans and took my shirt off. Sorry about the "mind picture", it's not a pretty sight.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #19950
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thanks Andy. I get it. The fan gets moved, not the AC.

I'll give the oscillating fan a try somewhere upstairs.