"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #20021
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
We don't have too many dogs that run loose in our area, but they sure do a lot of barking. One barks, and they all start barking. There is one family up the street whose dog would run out if I walked my dog on a leash, and that's why I quit walking my dog. They would call him back in right away and he went, but he had to run across the street to bark and sniff my dog and back across to go home. He could have been killed.
It is a territorial thing. Teddy does that. My apartment is in an alcove. Let a person put his first foot on the ramp to come to the alcove, and he barks immediately. He used to run to the door and bark his fool head off. It took a while, but Spike and I finally got him trained to just one bark and no running to the door. I figure if he cares enough to try and protect us, then he is entitled to his one bark. And to hell with what the tenants think.

When Spike is walking him, he does the same thing. He stands right in front of Spike's feet and defies any person or dog to come near him. Spike has to reassure him that he is all right before he will stop barking. He is just protecting what he sees as his property.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #20022
Senior Cook

If only I could get Mo to do that. He's 17 yo and supposed to be a guard cat but he's a scardy cat instead.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #20023
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
If only I could get Mo to do that. He's 17 yo and supposed to be a guard cat but he's a scardy cat instead.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Woyld you like to borrow three terrorist kittens for a couple days while I get some sleep? Holy cow, now I know why I never had more than two kittens at a time!!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #20024
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
We don't have too many dogs that run loose in our area, but they sure do a lot of barking. One barks, and they all start barking. There is one family up the street whose dog would run out if I walked my dog on a leash, and that's why I quit walking my dog. They would call him back in right away and he went, but he had to run across the street to bark and sniff my dog and back across to go home. He could have been killed.
Walk your dog again.You shouldn't have to restrict your dogs exercise.
We had a neighbors dog who did that one too many times while I was leash training my dog.It's annoying.

One day I made a penny can.You take a rinsed out aluminum can.Put some pennies in it.Enough to make a good rattle.Tape the top closed with duct tape.

I made several just in case.
When that dog bothered us I rattled the can loudly and threw it at his feet.Scared the bageezies out of him.Stopped him in his tracks.It didn't happen again.It works great for when our dogs bark excessively when someone rings the doorbell.Now all we have to say is "I've got the can!" They stop.

Munky.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #20025
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was sound asleep. At 1:30 the kids across the street let their loudest firecracker go off right in the street next to our building. It woke me up with a start. My heart starting racing.

I understand setting of fireworks for the 4th. But this building is filled with 40 apartments of elderly residents. Most of them have heart problems. I am more surprised than upset. These kids are not really "kids." The are in their late teens, early 20's. They have been doing these fireworks every years since I have lived here. But never that light into the night. They usually stop by 11 p.m. Fireworks are illegal in this state.
Addie,
Do they live in an apartment? Call the management and make a complaint with them about it.I'm sure those kids parents would luv having the thought of an eviction notice looming if it happens again.

If it's a home.My kids pulled that stupid stunt I'd want you to come over and tell me.I'd most likely tell them"Pull that again and your going to be fighting some bum on the streets over a cardboard box.DUMB...!"

Munky.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #20026
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Addie,
Do they live in an apartment? Call the management and make a complaint with them about it.I'm sure those kids parents would luv having the thought of an eviction notice looming if it happens again.

If it's a home.My kids pulled that stupid stunt I'd want you to come over and tell me.I'd most likely tell them"Pull that again and your going to be fighting some bum on the streets over a cardboard box.DUMB...!"

Munky.
No. They live across the street. They shoot off fireworks every year. And it is only for a couple of hours. That I don't mind. But this is the first time they have ever pulled a stunt like this. These boys are in their early 20's. If I see them when I am out on my scooter, I will mention it to them.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #20027
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm waiting for Stirling to wake up so we can celebrate. It's our 17th wedding anniversary and I will definitely keep him.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #20028
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Happy anniversary, Taxy and Stirling!!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #20029
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm waiting for Stirling to wake up so we can celebrate. It's our 17th wedding anniversary and I will definitely keep him.
Congrtats, you guys.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #20030
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Happy Anniversary Tax and Stirling!!