"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #20081
Senior Cook

Just letting everyone know that mom and I are home.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #20082
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Too funny - I keep trying to get myself started on a regimen of regular yoga, weights and walking, and I even have a daily reminder on my electronic calendar with that very name lol I hope it goes better for you.
I got a book called "Flat Belly Yoga!", by Kimberly Fowler...it will get me started. I have a couple other books that are more intense. The Flat Belly is a 32 day program, teaching the poses and sequences as the month goes on. Not focused on reps, but holding poses correctly and safely.

I started an Online Journal and am keeping track of the time I am moving. Actually any moving I do at this point will be good for me.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #20083
Sous Chef

I love to ride my bike! Cat and I used to ride together with our dogs, and I sure do miss her. I do stretching exercises before I go.

Right now I'm herding three terrorist kittens. I thought it would be fun to have them in the computer room with me for a while.

Something is very, very wrong with me for thinking that!!
Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #20084
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There are lots of different types and levels of yoga. For some advanced poses, the beginner's equivalent is lying on the floor doing some stretches.

Please, do you have any sun salutation sequences? You could start by doing a few reps of one of those for 5 or 10 minutes and then go for a walk.
This one?

Yes, I have several sun salutation sequences among the three books. Not quite there yet for many of the poses.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #20085
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yea! Now you can both get some sleep!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #20086
Master Chef

Just took a ham bone (left over from Easter) out of the freezer to make some bean soup tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #20087
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
So glad to hear this! I hope your Mom is feeling better. She will be able to get so much stronger at home. And you will feel so much better not having to go back and forth. Prayers and hugs for you both!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #20088
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I got a book called "Flat Belly Yoga!", by Kimberly Fowler...it will get me started. I have a couple other books that are more intense. The Flat Belly is a 32 day program, teaching the poses and sequences as the month goes on. Not focused on reps, but holding poses correctly and safely.

I started an Online Journal and am keeping track of the time I am moving. Actually any moving I do at this point will be good for me.
PF, I know it sounds silly, but one of the exercises I found to be really helpful in getting a flatter, tighter stomach is...

Any time you are laying down, watching television, or whenever, lift your legs up for about five to ten inches and hold them there. Count to five and let them down. Repeat as often as you feel comfortable. You will feel the thigh and stomach muscles pull. Little by little over time increase the count until you reach ten. In about two weeks you will notice a flatter stomach. Do it about twice. In an hour or longer repeat as often as you feel like. Or not.

You know that notice you get on the TV that interrupts your program at the worst time? We just got a tornado warning. I can hear the continuous thunder and it is getting closer and closer. This is unusual. This is the first time in years that I have felt nervous with the weather report. They keep beeping on my TV to get my attention. They have it!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #20089
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I love to ride my bike! Cat and I used to ride together with our dogs, and I sure do miss her. I do stretching exercises before I go.

Right now I'm herding three terrorist kittens. I thought it would be fun to have them in the computer room with me for a while.

Something is very, very wrong with me for thinking that!!
I miss riding my bike. I think it is the happiest memory I have of my childhood. Physical Therapy nixed the idea. Balance problem.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #20090
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PF, I know it sounds silly, but one of the exercises I found to be really helpful in getting a flatter, tighter stomach is...

Any time you are laying down, watching television, or whenever, lift your legs up for about five to ten inches and hold them there. Count to five and let them down. Repeat as often as you feel comfortable. You will feel the thigh and stomach muscles pull. Little by little over time increase the count until you reach ten. In about two weeks you will notice a flatter stomach. Do it about twice. In an hour or longer repeat as often as you feel like. Or not.

You know that notice you get on the TV that interrupts your program at the worst time? We just got a tornado warning. I can hear the continuous thunder and it is getting closer and closer. This is unusual. This is the first time in years that I have felt nervous with the weather report. They keep beeping on my TV to get my attention. They have it!
The Yoga I am doing is working all the muscles in my core, not just the abdominals. It will be making me stronger all over, allow me to reach down, reach up, sit up and help with balance issues. So, just one exercise is not going to do it for me.

An exercise similar to what you describe is part of my sequence, thanks for thinking about me and my flabby belly.