"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #20191
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Whilst I appreciate what you say, it was not my own discovery. I heard about it via a radio programme and - if you google "cold sore" and "ice cube" you will see lots of info come up so it would seem to be fairly common knowledge, i.e. established. Sometimes science can be overrated....direct, common experience is just as valid in my view.

The point is that the ice cube method works EVERY time if applied at the tingly stage. I don't care much for the argument about not apparently killing the virus fully. It works at the time and, in my experience and others too, barely ever comes back.
Just because something is on the Internet doesn't make it true. It might just mean that a lot of people are repeating the same misinformation.

If it works "EVERY time," then it must be coming back, else you would not have to do this repeatedly. I almost never get cold sores and I'm immunocompromised.

Direct experience is highly overrated - most people don't remember things accurately, or discount other variables, or use logical fallacies and/or magical thinking in drawing conclusions about their personal experiences. That's why the scientific method was developed - to avoid these problems as much as possible.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #20192
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Oops, sorry---- I thought that since people can talk about diarrhea even bloody diarrhea, explosive diarrhea, puking and poo pourri ............

If you want to a ask a moderator to delete the offending words, I'm o.k. with that.
Thanks so much for those nasty images. Seriously, I don't want to know about what happens to your intimate body parts. It's not about being offended - it's about having enough respect for others and yourself to keep some things private.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #20193
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks so much for those nasty images. Seriously, I don't want to know about what happens to your intimate body parts. It's not about being offended - it's about having enough respect for others and yourself to keep some things private.
?? A confusing answer, but I'm used to be confused. That's o.k.---- probably best to S. O. B. (Scroll On By).
Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #20194
Master Chef

I was planning on grilling some veggies today, but the southern end of the Sierras are on fire again so the air quality is not that great down here in the valley. Such a shame, there was just a big fire up there a couple of weeks ago, several cabins were lost. No lives though, thank goodness.

Anyway, headed out in a few to get my grandson a gift for his 4th birthday next week. Can't believe he's almost 4 already!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #20195
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Oops, sorry---- I thought that since people can talk about diarrhea even bloody diarrhea, explosive diarrhea, puking and poo pourri ............

If you want to a ask a moderator to delete the offending words, I'm o.k. with that.
Why do you persist in pursuing this topic? A question was asked about probiotics and the need for them while on antibiotics. The question was answered. And you continue to bring this back to socially taboo subjects. This is NOT a health site or a scientific site, please stop.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #20196
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
She should take the probiotic. Is her antibiotic once a day or twice? If it's twice a day, take the probiotic at lunch time with a meal. Once a day antibiotic, take the probiotic at night with a light snack.

The probiotic will help her avoid having diarrhea caused by the antibiotic.
Her antibiotic is once a day. She didn't take it after work yesterday AM and her tummy was okay later on during the day yesterday and last night. She took it again this am and started throwing up again about an hour ago. If it keeps up she's going back to the ER even if I have to call an ambulance.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #20197
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Her antibiotic is once a day. She didn't take it after work yesterday AM and her tummy was okay later on during the day yesterday and last night. She took it again this am and started throwing up again about an hour ago. If it keeps up she's going back to the ER even if I have to call an ambulance.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Yes, obviously having a reaction to the oral antibiotic. Not unusual to have an extreme reaction to oral vs. IV antibiotics. The doctor needs to find one she can tolerate.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #20198
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
If you would PM the name of the antibiotic she's taking plus the dose and I'll dredge up what I know about antibiotics simply because of my inclusion in a community about Lyme disease a community that often takes antibiotics for years.

I've taken almost every antibiotic known so my personal experience might help you. Some are more prone to leading to emesis than others.
I am NOT a doctor nor a nurse.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #20199
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I was referring to Addie and the Vicodin, not NSAIDS.
I am aware of that.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #20200
Executive Chef

OK, let's lighten up.

I'm relaxing with a large glass of Cotes du Rhone Villages having just polished off a plate of tortellini while listening to a dramatisation of Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe" on the radio.

Nice relaxing evening. Now trying to decide what to knit next as I've just finished a baby cardigan for my cousin's baby girl.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14127...13=80&ff14=108 but not in stripes - had some pale green yarn with white slubs. Looks good and made a head band with the yarn that was left.