"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #20301
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Plastic two gallon pails. Also, you can get 5 gallon buckets with a lid at Home Depot.
Definitely plastic. Metal would be too heavy for me to lift and carry.

Thanks for the ideas. Will give the problem to Spike to solve for me. I know he has plenty of buckets that he uses to take tools to a job. He has a plumbing bucket, a carpenter one, a wall one, etc.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #20302
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
...When the heat is quite high (29 degrees - no wind/humid), it can be a problem for the elderly, pregnant and the young. I am 64 and have high blood pressure...
Hmm, so you consider yourself "old" at 64? I'm 63 (and also have HBP) and don't think I'm anywhere near "qualified" to call myself old! ~~ I suppose our takes on the weather have something to do with where we each live. From what other British posters have said over the years, you don't have anywhere near as many hot spells as parts of the U.S. have. We've already had a few stretches of 80+-degree-days, and both myself and my chubby hubby Himself (who also has HBP, diabetes, and is apparently very well-fed) have survived just fine.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #20303
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Gee, none of that storm or any other made it to my part of town. Just a few rain drops.
Seems like the coast got more than its fair share of rain this week, from what I've seen on the news. Guess it was central MA's turn.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #20304
Master Chef

I've been goofing off this evening. Decided to pull the cabinet under the sink apart earlier, wash everything down, and put it all back with a clean liner. I've got to rethink how I toss tea bags into the trash under there...I had splash marks on the BACK of the cabinet. Himself called me "Cody Allen".
Old 07-18-2014, 02:40 AM   #20305
Master Chef

I've had a terrible time getting to a deep sleep lately..my brain just keeps racing over stuff I can't do anything about. Sigh. Tonight I thought I'd get up and wake myself up completely. Someone said doing this is like pressing your reset button.
OK.......I pressed the reset button so heading back to bed to see if it works.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #20306
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Hmm, so you consider yourself "old" at 64? I'm 63 (and also have HBP) and don't think I'm anywhere near "qualified" to call myself old! ~~ I suppose our takes on the weather have something to do with where we each live. From what other British posters have said over the years, you don't have anywhere near as many hot spells as parts of the U.S. have. We've already had a few stretches of 80+-degree-days, and both myself and my chubby hubby Himself (who also has HBP, diabetes, and is apparently very well-fed) have survived just fine.
Well I am now a pensioner! My body feels its age but I have an adolescent mind...e.g. I did stand up comedy in my 40's!

Yes the weather is all relative. We have a reputation here of moaning about the rain! Surviving the heat depends on what you do. As mentioned, I had to go out (midday sun) so I was a bit worried. I didn't mention that I am overweight (another factor that make heat tolerance difficult). Anyway, I made it back home and live to type another day!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #20307
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Up too early!! Oh well.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #20308
Executive Chef

Addie, Spike must have had those batteries for a very long time, because usually the expiration date is several years off in the future!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #20309
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As is our usual summer custom, Bella and I watered the container plants out front and harvested what needed to come in.

It's still unseasonably cool here and is slightly overcast today. Nothing shows on the radar as far as precip goes so the laundry went on the line out back. I love to live dangerously.

All the Friday chores are done save making our bed, but the linens are still drying on the line and probably won't be ready until late in the afternoon.

Tonight's supper will be plentiful leftovers from last night so I won't have to occupy my time with preparing it, which leaves me with lots and lots of free time to nibble away at some pesky little jobs that have been staring at me for a while.

I feel really, really good today. The last couple of days I've been not totally up to par and am glad I'm back to being my old self. Part of the problem has been my ever-present companion "Arthur." I'd love to kick him to the curb but he insists on occupying assorted areas of my body. I'm an impatient patient. Oh, well. Such is life.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #20310
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Saw this on FB, and had to try it. Redneck speaker system! And it really works!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1405726366.808339.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	21530