"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #20421
Executive Chef

I learned to sew on my mother's old sewing machine in the early 60's. It was old even then, probably from the 30s or 40s. After learning, I bought a brand new sparkling sewing machine with all the dials and attachments. I still have it, and now IT'S old and so am I.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #20422
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Not sleeping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Up early today. Can't sleep with stuff on my mind.
Must have been something in the air. I didn't fall asleep until past 5:00 AM. On nights like that I'm tempted to just get up and start vacuuming. Almost. I'd probably making my next posts from the hospital!* But I figure if I can't sleep why should Himself be off in dreamland.

*Just want to clarify that Himself is completely non-violent. Heck, he doesn't even yell. Sweetest tempered guy you could meet.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #20423
Head Chef

Smile

I had an unusual but very welcome adddition to my arch of roses in my back garden.

Next door's garden is fairly overgrown and some wild roses have grown over into my garden....exactly in alignment to the rose arch! So I did some tying up and now have a double arch - my roses are fairly large and like red velvet, the wild roses are copious and delightful sprays of white. I feel so blessed!
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #20424
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Must have been something in the air. I didn't fall asleep until past 5:00 AM. On nights like that I'm tempted to just get up and start vacuuming. Almost. I'd probably making my next posts from the hospital!* But I figure if I can't sleep why should Himself be off in dreamland.

*Just want to clarify that Himself is completely non-violent. Heck, he doesn't even yell. Sweetest tempered guy you could meet.
Me too. I was wide awake until the alarm went off at 8am ...... then I immediately zonked out cold until noon. What a waste of a morning (and a night)!

I think it's the muggy heat over here that's causing the disruption. Crazy home insurance rules say that once everyone has gone to bed all ground floor windows must be closed and locked. My house is a bungalow so I sleep on the ground floor. I queried it with the girl at the insurance company and she confirmed that even ground floor bedroom windows must be secure at night.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #20425
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Hey Himself! Blame it on sleepwalking!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #20426
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Been on a little pseudo vacation/long weekend. . .so hard to get motivated to get back into the grind, knowing it's just for Thursday and Friday, feel like I should just call the week a wash and start fresh on Monday.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #20427
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Went to the pool with Kindle in her waterproof case and my floaty thing. Major rugrat invasion, but it was all the home schooling moms, so the kids were relatively well behaved.

Afterwards had a nice walk with Beagle, then tried to pick blueberries without Deet. It didn't go well. The mosquitoes are horrid.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #20428
Master Chef

Trying to keep my eyes open. It's only 8 now, but like a few others have mentioned, been having a little trouble turning off my brain and having a good night's sleep, too. Off to the recliner....nighty night, all!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 AM   #20429
Sous Chef

Praying for those who have lost their pets. Dang, this is so hard! I wish there was something I could do to help.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #20430
Honey Badger

Taking the day off.Well,for a little while anyways.Waiting for the tylenol to kick in.The garage needs a good cleaning.Nobody can walk into it without tripping over something.Mostly all my cookbooks I have boxed up.3 boxes...Time to unload them all.

Our adopted son and I redid my front flower bed/ borders.Yep, went with cactus plants.Some are tall,they bloom huge white flowers.Some were medium/small sized aloe vera plants. We used as borders.Was able to keep some of the larger plants.Now I'll just let the poppies do their natural thing to grow around them and the rocks.We laughed every time the city truck with it's flashing lights drove slowly by us many times just waiting to nail us if we turned on the hose during off hours and days.

How come they never seem to see my neighbors watering their lawn on a daily basis hours on end?

I do have a back up plan if I get tagged.My tree has still to be trimmed.
It's been now 5 years.It would be a shame if it falls on a vehicle.
MINE! guess I get a new car on the city :)