"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #20451
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Where do orange peppers come in the line up of maturity?

What am I doing? Not sleeping. Grrr
Orange ones are fully ripe. They are a different variety from the red ones and so are the yellow ones.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #20452
Executive Chef

I just recently discovered colored peppers. I always bought green, and I only like them cooked, as in stuffed peppers. I recently bought some colored ones and now they are my favorite. Took 68 years to figure that out.

One time I bought orange and yellow pepper plants. Only got 2 small pepper from each one. Back to the grocery store! LOL

Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #20453
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love munching red peppers mindlessly...I add them into everything except my Cheerios and Oatmeal.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #20454
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love red and yellow peppers, they're so sweet, and delicious raw. Green peppers are more of a cooking ingredient to me.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #20455
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

agreed
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #20456
Certified Pretend Chef

Our grandson loves to munch on green peppers and cucumbers that are his "salad" at dinnertime.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #20457
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I just recently discovered colored peppers. I always bought green, and I only like them cooked, as in stuffed peppers. I recently bought some colored ones and now they are my favorite. Took 68 years to figure that out.

One time I bought orange and yellow pepper plants. Only got 2 small pepper from each one. Back to the grocery store! LOL
Wow. Do you ever travel, Carol? I discovered colored peppers about 30 years ago visiting my mom at her house in the Florida Keys. There was a farmer's market near her house and they had five colors of peppers - green, red, yellow, orange and purple. Only 5 for $1. I couldn't believe it. I bought a couple dozen, brought them home and roasted and froze them.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #20458
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Wow. Do you ever travel, Carol? I discovered colored peppers about 30 years ago visiting my mom at her house in the Florida Keys. There was a farmer's market near her house and they had five colors of peppers - green, red, yellow, orange and purple. Only 5 for $1. I couldn't believe it. I bought a couple dozen, brought them home and roasted and froze them.
When any produce is that cheap, and you can't have a garden, buy in bulk and process them yourself. Because of the preservatives in processed food, what you buy in the store always taste different and not fresh. And when you buy roasted peppers in a jar, you only get a few. Not worth the price.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #20459
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have enough problems of my own, but I get a phone call this morning. Poo developed a blood clot in his lung last night and is back in the hospital. At least this time it is a bit closer to home. I called him last night at home and he didn't sound good. And I made it a point to tell him so. It made him think. If you can tell over the phone that I am not doing good, them maybe I'm not.

He got a sharp pain in the bottom of his lung late last night. He knew what that meant and called 911 immediately. At least he is in the hospital where he works, so I know he is getting the best of care.

He called me to let me know that he notified the hospital and a few of his very closest friends that he has given me power of attorney and they are to call me for any medical decisions should he not be able to make them himself.

A little background. He has been separated from his wife since Thanksgiving Eve. I asked him about her making the decisions. He informed me that she doesn't give a damn. Nice wife. The Pirate was sitting here so he knows what is going on. And I called my SIL to tell him. We decided we would wait for any updates before we let my daughter know. She does not handle bad new very well. She goes to pieces before you can even get three words out. Whether the news is good or bad. Right now a prayer or two might help. And deeply appreciated.

So I walk around doing little chores with my cell phone in my pocket just waiting. One for each.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #20460
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I travel, but not a lot. Why? We HAVE colored peppers in our area, I just never ate them. We didn't get much fresh produce growing up and I just recently became interested in trying different vegetables...different from the canned peas, corn and green beans my mother served. Apparently DH grew up the same as I did because he still only eats the three vegetables my mother cooked.