"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #20501
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It was a bit lower than my jawline and over my collar. After sweltering in the heat at the Celtic Fair (and it was only 85F) I'd had enough and made the snap decision to get it chopped. I'll have time to grow it out before winter.
Good for you!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #20502
Master Chef

I love it, princess. It looks great! One of these days I'm gonna whack mine off, too. I'm so tired of long hair....well, it's not that long, a few inches past my shoulders, but long enough to be a PITA.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #20503
Master Chef

Quote:
Here it is...
"Short" isn't the exact word I'd use. Shorn like a lamb is more like it. Too short for me, but if it floats your boat more power to you. For myself, I like a little hair hiding the nape of my neck.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #20504
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...do you have a balanced diet?....Forgot to say - pulling the hair tightly into a pony tail or chignon can break off hair or pull it out at the roots before it's ready to fall out naturally.
I'm healthy with a good diet, so that isn't a worry. Blood-work is always fine too. A few years back when this first happened (I was just finishing up with menopause) my friend up the street suggested I take a small amount of vitamin E each day. Seems her cat had an issue with hair loss and the vet suggested she squeeze a capsule of the vitamin over kitty's food. If if worked for the cat and I didn't take too big a dose of vitamin E I figured I had nothing to lose. It seemed to work!

When I put my hair up I don't pull it hard, nor do I use anything tight to hold it. I use my fabric scrunchies and loop the hair around it. Two long bobby pins later and voila!

I read the linked article. Must be the stress doing it - Himself and I will be married 40 years this November.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #20505
Executive Chef

Quote:
Here it is...no, I'm not angry, trying not to look toothless
Very smart and businesslike. Wash 'n wear as they say.

I have a chin length bob. Boring and rather childish but it's the only way I can get away with wash 'n wear when I'm in a hurry and look halfway decent. My Dad (hairdresser and barber) used to say he'd seen better hair on a side of bacon! Long and up works and is cool in this weather but ageing at my advanced years and layers? Don't even go there!

When I first got Horse I stopped having the grey coloured out of my hair and grew it down to my waist. Wore it up for work and going out but in a plait/braid down my back for riding so I could get my helmet on. If I wasn't giving Horse the respect and attention he thought he deserved he'd get hold of it in his teeth and pull! I finally had it cut off as I felt I was too old for it but I still miss it. So easy to look after and the plait looked rather good as it was quite attractively striped in shades of grey. People used to ask me if it was professionally coloured that way.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #20506
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
"Short" isn't the exact word I'd use. Shorn like a lamb is more like it. Too short for me, but if it floats your boat more power to you. For myself, I like a little hair hiding the nape of my neck.
The nape of my neck was where it was the hottest! Best of all, I didn;t wake up with a bird's nest on my head this morning.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #20507
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks folks, yes it's a bit drastic, but in the long run may save me from the heat.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #20508
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Must be the stress doing it - Himself and I will be married 40 years this November.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #20509
Certified Pretend Chef

There is a strike that has pretty much shut down a local supermarket chain. It's a popular chain of 71 stores that offers the lowest prices around. As a result, their customers must shop in other stores. I was in a Stop&Shop yesterday and overheard the manager talking to a customer. He said you could tell which customers were from the other store because they were the ones complaining about the higher prices. He said it as a criticism of the other store's customers but I saw it as an indictment of his store's prices.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #20510
Executive Chef

I like your new haircut, PF. I have had my hair cut that short a couple times in the past, and my hair grows fast. I have very thick, coarse hair. Right now it is just to the bottom of my earlobes. I have heard that as you age, your hair thins, but I think that only applies to those who have thin hair to begin with. My step daughter is having a bad problem with her hair thinning at age 45. She has been told that her hairloss is from stress. I would be so happy to give her some of mine!