"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #20531
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here watching the TV. We just had a tornado touch down just down the street from where I live. About 1/5 of a mile. I need to go to the store, and just hope it is not on the street I have to go on. Any live wires down and I am going to turn around and come right back home.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #20532
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
At the moment I am losing my marbles looking for a roasting pan I need to use to roast my tomatoes. I always keep my pots/pans/tools in a specific place. You know, "a place for everything; everything in its place." Well...it ain't in its place and I've looked high and low.

It's not as though it's a small pan. It's a really, really big, deep rectangular roasting pan and I can't for the life off me figure out where it's gone. I don't even remember the last time I used it. Ugh!!!!

I looked for it yesterday, too, with no success and am having the same rotten luck today. "Hey, pan! The tomatoes won't last forever!!!! Come out! Come out, wherever you are!"

'Spose that will work?! I've tried everything else and I can't blame it's absence on anyone but myself. Rats, not even any resident children to chastise for being careless.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #20533
Chef Extraordinaire

We just got back from the annual 4 day family reunion at the lake, it was a success. We still are on vacation through Sunday, August 3rd. Dh has to be back by Friday the 1st for a wedding cake. Shortly we are off to Branson, Mo. Dh just got back with a rental car, leaving shortly for a 9 hour car drive. Not sure if we will get there in 1 day or stop near Kansas for an overnight.

After vacation I will definitely have to get back on the healthy eating lifestyle. I'm afraid to even step on the scale!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #20534
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
At the moment I am losing my marbles looking for a roasting pan I need to use to roast my tomatoes. I always keep my pots/pans/tools in a specific place. You know, "a place for everything; everything in its place." Well...it ain't in its place and I've looked high and low.

It's not as though it's a small pan. It's a really, really big, deep rectangular roasting pan and I can't for the life off me figure out where it's gone. I don't even remember the last time I used it. Ugh!!!!

I looked for it yesterday, too, with no success and am having the same rotten luck today. "Hey, pan! The tomatoes won't last forever!!!! Come out! Come out, wherever you are!"

'Spose that will work?! I've tried everything else and I can't blame it's absence on anyone but myself. Rats, not even any resident children to chastise for being careless.

You don't live alone. Is it a perfect pan for draining engine oil or washing motor parts in kerosene?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #20535
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You don't live alone. Is it a perfect pan for draining engine oil or washing motor parts in kerosene?
Ha! Ha! I know where you're going with this, Andy, but Glenn is more than particular with how he manages car repairs/maintenance. His garage space is almost surgically clean, and even though the roasting pan is spotless, I don't think he's the culprit.

However...hooray! I found the pan. Exactly where I'd looked any number of times. That always seems to be my M.O. I keep going back, over and over, to the same spot when I'm looking for something. Perhaps it's intuition telling me to look more thoroughly. Unfortunately, I'd broken my rule and hadn't put the pan back on its hook on the pot rack. I'd simply slid it on a shelf just below, probably because I was in a hurry, anticipating to put it where it always lives at a later time. My bad!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #20536
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
...Exactly where I'd looked any number of times. That always seems to be my M.O. I keep going back, over and over, to the same spot when I'm looking for something. Perhaps it's intuition telling me to look more thoroughly. Unfortunately, I'd broken my rule and hadn't put the pan back on its hook on the pot rack. I'd simply slid it on a shelf just below, probably because I was in a hurry, anticipating to put it where it always lives at a later time. My bad!

Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #20537
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sitting here watching the TV. We just had a tornado touch down just down the street from where I live. About 1/5 of a mile. I need to go to the store, and just hope it is not on the street I have to go on. Any live wires down and I am going to turn around and come right back home.
That sounds scary!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #20538
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Okay, now that I've found my roasting pan I'll begin the process of making some tomato sauce. I just brought in about 6 pounds of lovely, ripe Roma tomatoes from our fruit-laden tomato plants out front.

The first pan of tomatoes is roasting now and I have two colanders of washed tomatoes ready to go in the oven when the first batch comes out. Looks like I may get about 6 to 8 pints of sauce from this picking. There are loads more tomatoes, which means there'll be plenty to put by for the future. Yeah!

Here's a picture of the first pan of tomatoes, slathered with olive oil and sprinkled with freshly-ground black pepper and salt.

Edited to add: I forgot to provide a link to what the tomatoes will become.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	21562  
Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #20539
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.
I've heard that the knack of not losing your glasses rests on not putting them down somewhere unusual, i.e. to try and stick to familiar places. I have put this into practise and it does help.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #20540
Executive Chef

Addie, we are on a fixed income, too. One thing my husband can't get used to is not getting a check every Friday like we did when we worked. The money that comes in on the first of the month has to last all month. I have given his kids instructions that if something should happen to me, someone will have to start taking care of his finances.

Katie, my husband is very neat and doesn't like to see things sitting out. He will put things away, sometimes when I'm still using them, but puts them where they fit, not necessarily where they belong. And if asked, he doesn't remember where he put them. LOL Gotta love him! Glad you found your pan.