"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #20541
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You don't live alone. Is it a perfect pan for draining engine oil or washing motor parts in kerosene?
That was my thought also. Oh Glen, run and hide if you are smart.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #20542
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
... I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong...
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I've heard that the knack of not losing your glasses rests on not putting them down somewhere unusual, i.e. to try and stick to familiar places. I have put this into practise and it does help.

Glad you agree.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #20543
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.
I don't usually misplace anything, but when I do it makes me nuts. I don't ever, and I can say this honestly, misplace my keys or cell phone. My keys live on a hook in the utility room if they're not in the ignition of the car or in the door lock. If my phone isn't in my pocket or my purse, it's on a shelf in the kitchen. I adopted this discipline when I was raising 8 children and was constantly driving "mom's taxi."

As for glasses, I don't wear them so no need to keep up with them.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #20544
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I don't usually misplace anything, but when I do it makes me nuts. I don't ever, and I can say this honestly, misplace my keys or cell phone...

Me too!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #20545
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Me too!

Me three!

DH, on the other hand, loses everything: glasses, phone, keys, you name it. And usually they're somewhere in plain sight, which I have to find. DH can also open a cupboard or fridge, and swear that whatever he's looking for is not there, even though it's front and center.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #20546
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, we are on a fixed income, too. One thing my husband can't get used to is not getting a check every Friday like we did when we worked. The money that comes in on the first of the month has to last all month. I have given his kids instructions that if something should happen to me, someone will have to start taking care of his finances.

Katie, my husband is very neat and doesn't like to see things sitting out. He will put things away, sometimes when I'm still using them, but puts them where they fit, not necessarily where they belong. And if asked, he doesn't remember where he put them. LOL Gotta love him! Glad you found your pan.
When I go shopping, I have to shop for the whole month. I can't drive, and Spike is not always available to take me to Chelsea to get what I need extra in the middle of the month. So I call him and ask him to pick me up what I need when he has the time. As a single mother most of my life, I got used to shopping once a month or getting my income maybe twice a month. Then when I retired, I knew it was going to be once a month for the rest of my life. So it wasn't that hard for me to adjust. But for those who have been on a regular paycheck each week, it is a big adjustment. You can't just run out and get what you want to. And you can't impulse shop if you want your monies to last the month until the next check comes. I have been lucky. I sometimes have a few dollars left over from my check on the last day of the month. I pay rent, my cable, my checking over daft loan and five dollars to purchase 250 extra minutes on my free cell phone. I am not as bad off as some of the residents who don't know how to manage their money. I get $141 in food stamps for the month. More than enough to feed me. I do have to pay for taxable items. Toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. So I have no complaints.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #20547
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.
DH does that, too. I've given up telling him to put them where they go and just pick them up if I see them in an odd place and put them on the kitchen counter where we charge our gadgets or the basket in the front hall I put there for just this purpose. It saves us both stress
Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #20548
Executive Chef

Quote:
I've heard that the knack of not losing your glasses rests on not putting them down somewhere unusual, i.e. to try and stick to familiar places. I have put this into practise and it does help.
I have 2 pairs of prescription reading glasses and 6 pairs of those "of the peg" "readers" I do my serious reading with the prescription specs and have the others scattered round the house - kitchen, dining room, sitting room, bedroom, a pair by the phone and a pair in the car. So why can I never find any of them when I need them? When I do find them they're all in the same room or pocket!

I also lose keys with reckless abandon. If the door I came in through is locked I know the keys are in the house somewhere. If it isn't, I'm really in trouble! I've always been bad with keys. When I was working, if the cleaning staff found keys they used to come to me first before turning them in as lost property!!!

I don't think it's senility. I think it's just not paying attention to where I put things down. This morning I took a knife from the drawer and walked across the kitchen and realised I hadn't got the knife in my hand any more. A bit of thought ensued while I worked out that I'd stopped to turn on the kettle and there was the knife. All due to lack of concentration and thinking about two or three things at once. There's so much going in the front of my brain that something has to drop out the back!

It's nothing new.Years ago I found myself walking up stairs with a bottle of milk in my hand. Went back down to the kitchen to put it away and found I'd put my make-up bag in the 'fridge!

So far I think I'm safe. I haven't gone shopping in my underwear or to visit friends at 3am..... Yet!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #20549
Executive Chef

Quote:
Sensible in its way but when you wear reading glasses and can't see past your nose when you're wearing them you have to take them off sometimes when you aren't in the "putting your glasses down" place. I found a pair of mine outside on the window sill this morning - after searching the house for them last night. I'd had to put them on while I read the instructions for the glyphosphate and took them off so I could see to use it. I wasn't going to go back in the house and put them in their proper "putting down" place so I put them on the window sill and forgot about them.

I see myself as a sort of non-professorial absent-minded Professor
Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #20550
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If I take my glasses off, I fold them shut and hang them by one stem from my neckline.