"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #20591
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

cooling down...

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #20592
Certified Cake Maniac

Enjoying a quiet night at home - no hospital, no screaming kids (as much as I love them I am glad they are home) and my furbabies by my side. All that is missing is my TB but he will be home in a few hours.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #20593
Cupcake

Glad you are home, Laurie.

I've been trying to make 14-day pickles and am on day five. I wish I could find Momma's recipe. She used alum in her pickles...so I am using a few recipes and am trying to wing it.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 AM   #20594
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

On the way to bed...
Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 AM   #20595
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Glad you are home, Laurie.

I've been trying to make 14-day pickles and am on day five. I wish I could find Momma's recipe. She used alum in her pickles...so I am using a few recipes and am trying to wing it.
Thanks, Kathleen. My Mom used to make those pickles and used alum. I have her recipe cards. I should look and see if I can find it in there.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #20596
Executive Chef

The Femme Fatale of Buxton Lane

I think I have an admirer!

Bloke-next-door-but-one has chatted to me on occasions when we've met in the lane. This last week I've been stripping the rainforest (the front garden) and he's stopped and engaged me in conversation for a hour at a time every day. Today he's offered to repair the stone wall at the front of the house, lend me his lawn mower, offered me cuttings of his buddleia and ...... take me to Scrabble Club (I assume the last is about the board game and not something one wouldn't like one's mother to find out about)! But when he passes with his wife I just get a shifty look and a muffled and embarrassed "hello"

Be still my beating heart!

The down side: He's married. He's probably in his 70s. He is not in the least bit desirable and he's shorter than me (I am a shallow person!).

I just don't know where I get all this mysterious allure from.....
Old 07-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #20597
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Taking a little break. We just had a bit of lunch and I've cleaned the kitchen up after making two generous trays of stuffed peppers. We'll have one for supper tonight and the others have gone into the freezer.

After I finish my little "feet up" time, I'm going to head to the kitchen to dice up 3 pounds of bacon ends and fry them up. I parcel them out in equal quantities and use them in assorted recipes, not the least of which is one of our favorites, bacon-and-egg bread. I'll get about 4 nice baggies of crispy bacon bits.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #20598
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm working on my grocery lists for tomorrow's major shopping.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #20599
Chef Extraordinaire

Resting my feet, too I went downtown to take care of a matter for the civic league and picked up a few items at the Feed & Seed store, including a jar of pickling spices. I'm going to pickle some of these darn cucumbers tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 17.37.54.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	21578  
Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #20600
Master Chef

Looks like it's break time for a few of us around here! I'm resting my arms from drying my hair (need to get this mane chopped this fall) before I head out to go to three stores to do the grocery shopping I was able to knock off at one. Danged Family Feud! At least while I'm making the Aldi's run I can also return a pair of jeans to Target and stop at Lowe's. They're all at the same exit of the freeway.

These jeans are the strangest pair I have ever owned. When I bought them they were a nice length - just overly-long enough to allow for a bit of shrinkage. Even though I wash jeans in cold water I swear they shorten up a bit the first few times. Well, this pair grows! What was an inch above the ground is now ready to drag on the ground, even when I wear the exact same pair of shoes each time. Himself suggested I just keep them and roll them. Um Honey? They're bell bottoms! Not gonna work...

« Petty Vents | - »