"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #20671
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Your guess is as good as mine!! I just know they are potted hydrangeas I received as a gift.
If there is a nursery near you, you could ask them the solution to your problem.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #20672
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Morning shower's done. Breakfast finished and cleaned up after. Bella and I have done our ritual morning watering and I harvested what needed it. Mail is ready for the mailbox and we'll leave soon for a doctor's appointment.

I'm hoping I'll be able to leave my Darth Vader cast/splint behind after this visit. I'm pretty sure it's done its job and it's time for a little more "normal" activity with my new hand. We'll see.

I have seen some real positive progress/results and soooo want to get back to doing my regular activities, with caution for a while, of course.

It's hot and humid here today. More like August in Kentucky.

I feel sorry for all the area students who are beginning their new school year today. At least their schools are air-conditioned. They weren't when I was a child.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #20673
Wine Guy

I meant to post this yesterday. This is what we did on Saturday. Mrs K and I, along with her brother and sister and their spouses all went to the Paul McCartney concert in Minneapolis at Target Field.

By far, it was the best concert I've ever seen in my life - and I've seen quite a few. For a 72-year old man, Sir Paul has the energy of a 30-something. He came out on stage and performed for nearly three hours straight. Almost 40 songs altogether, including many songs from the Beatles catalog. It was so nice to see him embrace his Beatles heritage. I remember a time when he steadfastly refused to play more than a handful of those songs, saying it was all water under the bridge and people should move on.

What a fun evening and one I'll remember for the rest of my life! I only hope I have half the energy he does when I'm 72.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #20674
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I meant to post this yesterday. This is what we did on Saturday. Mrs K and I, along with her brother and sister and their spouses all went to the Paul McCartney concert in Minneapolis at Target Field.

By far, it was the best concert I've ever seen in my life - and I've seen quite a few. For a 72-year old man, Sir Paul has the energy of a 30-something. He came out on stage and performed for nearly three hours straight. Almost 40 songs altogether, including many songs from the Beatles catalog. It was so nice to see him embrace his Beatles heritage. I remember a time when he steadfastly refused to play more than a handful of those songs, saying it was all water under the bridge and people should move on.

What a fun evening and one I'll remember for the rest of my life! I only hope I have half the energy he does when I'm 72.

What a great night Steve!! I'm shocked the place wasn't packed with people...
I'm slightly younger than Paul, and I doubt I could stand for three hours, let alone perform!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #20675
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have friends who saw Sir Paul in Fargo, they were blown away too!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #20676
Master Chef

Quote:

I found out that I planted the wrong kind of hydrangeas. They both were gifts I received, and those plants are not suited to replanting in the yard. They grow big and bushy but don't get any flowers on them. For that, you are supposed to buy them at a nursery. Is there anything I can do to get them to bloom? I don't care if they blood pink or blue...just want flowers on the darn thing!
That's weird Carol. My hydrangeas are loaded with huge pink blossoms and they were potted gifts also. They are about 3 years old and waist high. Could you have them in the wrong spot? Mine get morning sun only as I'm told they can't tolerate all day heat.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #20677
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Very cool Steve.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #20678
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Your guess is as good as mine!! I just know they are potted hydrangeas I received as a gift.
You said they're the wrong kind and not suited to replanting. Why do you think that? How long have you had them? Can you post a picture?

Hydrangeas are understory plants, meaning they grow naturally under trees, so they do best in part to full shade. Some bloom on the current year's growth and some on last year's growth, so it's important to know when to prune them; if yours blooms on this year's growth but you pruned it this year, you cut off the buds so it won't bloom. I'm not saying that's the problem with your hydrangeas - it's just one reason why they might not bloom.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #20679
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What a great night Steve!! I'm shocked the place wasn't packed with people...
I'm slightly younger than Paul, and I doubt I could stand for three hours, let alone perform!
Kayelle, we got there very early. That photo was taken 2 hours before it began. But it was a sold out show. In fact, it sold out in 20 minutes so we felt lucky to get tickets.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #20680
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

McCartney will be here in Missoula tomorrow night. We won't need tickets (good thing) we'll be able to hear the concert all over town.