"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #20691
Chef Extraordinaire

My great-great grandfather bought a farm in Michigan for my great-grandfather to run and live on, so he wouldn't be called to serve in World War I. Farmers were exempt from service because they were needed to feed the troops and the citizens and my great-great-grandfather didn't want his son fighting his cousins in Germany. He had just immigrated to the United States in the 1880s.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #20692
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My great-great grandfather bought a farm in Michigan for my great-grandfather to run and live on, so he wouldn't be called to serve in World War I. Farmers were exempt from service because they were needed to feed the troops and the citizens and my great-great-grandfather didn't want his son fighting his cousins in Germany. He had just immigrated to the United States in the 1880s.
I just hope your great-grandfather liked being a farmer. It is a hard life. And at that time they didn't have the machinery that is available today. My father was exempt for WWII since he was working at the Boston Navy Shipyard. While working there, he went to walk on the plank from one ship to the next one. Whoever put the plank there didn't have it secured and my father fell down to the bottom of the drydock and landed on his feet. But the shock of landing so hard caused him to lose his sight in one eye. So that definitely made him 4F.

But I can easily understand your G-G grandfather not wanting his son to go to war. When Spike was learning to walk the doctor noticed that he was developing pronate feet. Turning inward. He wanted to put him in braces, but I refused. We still had the draft at that time and I didn't want him going off to war either. So I refused the braces. He still has pronate feet but not as bad as when he was a child. He managed to play sports and do everything any other child did. I had a HUGE fight with my second husband when I told him about it. It almost caused us to get divorced. But I still stand by what I did. No mother wants to see her child go off to war.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #20693
Chef Extraordinaire

I am exhausted. I went shopping for groceries this morning. I should have taken a couple of Vicodin before I left the house. In both stores I had to walk the length of the store to find an electric cart. When I was at Shaw's, I was out of breath and started to get chest pains. I scared the hell out of a few folks. I opened my purse and grabbed my nitro spray. It was then the manager decided to go and find a cart for me. I had to sit there for about five minutes before I felt safe enough to start my shopping. Now I know why everyone in this town hates shopping there. Sticker shock? I almost passed out when I saw what they were. I bought the few items they had on sale and I had a coupon for. And I managed to get a loaf of uncut Italian bread right out of the oven. It was still hot when I picked it up. I wanted to tear of a piece and eat it right then. Then off to Stop and Shop. Good Lord! That store is huge. I spent more time just traveling from one end to the other to get the items on my list. Not knowing the layout didn't help either. Thank heavens I had Spike with me. He got half of my items for me. It took us more than three hours between driving and shopping. Never again. One store shopping for me from now on or I will just go hungry. DeMoula's better get this work stoppage settled before the first of September.

There were some items Spike will pick up for me at Home Depot. The huge commercial bottle of Dawn Dish Liquid, a BIG package of Bounty towels, and a couple of other things I can't remember right now. He has a $60 credit there and will use that for me. He is also registered as a licensed contractor so he gets these items at a reduced price. It will all be enough to last me for a year. Less money for me to have to spend and more in my pocket for the rest of the year. The last time he bought me the Dawn and Bounty was sometime early last year. I just ran out this week of both. Now I will have to figure out where I am going to store them.

I am going to take a nap now.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #20694
Honey Badger

Just finished loading up my sons truck with all kinds of garbage.
The city does a twice a year thing where they will take anything and dispose of it for you, but couches and mattresses.The garage is cleaned up once again.It's always the little stuff boxed to toss that manage to accumulate so much junk.

Tomorrow Good will is stopping by to pick up the more useful things.
Downsizing has been a lot of fun.Less we have to take with us.

It's almost time.Few odds and ends and were going to be ready.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #20695
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just hope your great-grandfather liked being a farmer. It is a hard life. And at that time they didn't have the machinery that is available today. My father was exempt for WWII since he was working at the Boston Navy Shipyard. While working there, he went to walk on the plank from one ship to the next one. Whoever put the plank there didn't have it secured and my father fell down to the bottom of the drydock and landed on his feet. But the shock of landing so hard caused him to lose his sight in one eye. So that definitely made him 4F.

But I can easily understand your G-G grandfather not wanting his son to go to war. When Spike was learning to walk the doctor noticed that he was developing pronate feet. Turning inward. He wanted to put him in braces, but I refused. We still had the draft at that time and I didn't want him going off to war either. So I refused the braces. He still has pronate feet but not as bad as when he was a child. He managed to play sports and do everything any other child did. I had a HUGE fight with my second husband when I told him about it. It almost caused us to get divorced. But I still stand by what I did. No mother wants to see her child go off to war.
That would have been Vietnam, I suppose. Can't blame you for insisting.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #20696
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Just finished loading up my sons truck with all kinds of garbage.
The city does a twice a year thing where they will take anything and dispose of it for you, but couches and mattresses.The garage is cleaned up once again.It's always the little stuff boxed to toss that manage to accumulate so much junk.

Tomorrow Good will is stopping by to pick up the more useful things.
Downsizing has been a lot of fun.Less we have to take with us.

It's almost time.Few odds and ends and were going to be ready.
I'm struggling with the downsizing. My furniture is mostly family hand-downs going back as far as the 1860s in a couple of examples. It suited my old house which was Victorian but it won't really go in this house which is 20th C. Mum's furniture does suit it so I expect that I'll be keeping that with certain exceptions. There isn't room here for my piano which was my grandmother's wedding present from her parents in 1915 and is a rather pretty burr walnut upright with boxwood marquetry and mother of pearl inlay decoration. I'll really miss it. Not sure what will happen to it as charity shops won't take it. I offered it on Freecycle but no-one replied.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #20697
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm struggling with the downsizing. My furniture is mostly family hand-downs going back as far as the 1860s in a couple of examples. It suited my old house which was Victorian but it won't really go in this house which is 20th C. Mum's furniture does suit it so I expect that I'll be keeping that with certain exceptions. There isn't room here for my piano which was my grandmother's wedding present from her parents in 1915 and is a rather pretty burr walnut upright with boxwood marquetry and mother of pearl inlay decoration. I'll really miss it. Not sure what will happen to it as charity shops won't take it. I offered it on Freecycle but no-one replied.
That's sad that no one wants a pretty piano.

Have you tried selling it?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #20698
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Staying inside tonight, between all the nuts out for the concert and the fair, driving is a real challenge. Besides, I don't want to lose my parking space.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #20699
Master Chef

So tired. I've spent most of the past 4 days helping a local private school get ready for the new school year starting mid August...cleaning, getting new curriculum out, sprucing up the playground...today was spent in a class getting re-certified for CPR and First Aid, tomorrow is a potluck for a friend's birthday...I am so tired, just want to sleep for three days. LOL
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #20700
Chef Extraordinaire

Downsizing can be very painful. Getting rid of memories is not an easy thing to do. When I moved in here, it killed me to give up my dining room set and china closet.

Today I went shopping for this month's groceries. Three hours when Spike and I are in and out in 45 minutes at DeMoula's. Good Lord, I hope they are back to work for next month's shopping. When I got home, I had a fridge full of meats that had to be broken down for the freezer. Since I live alone, I wrap the meats in individual pieces. And then they going into a large freezer zippy bag with the excess air pressed out. I had bought two London Broil pieces. They were quite large and I ground them down to hamburger. Marked the zippy bag and went onto the next meat. I started at 10 a.m. and worked until 8 p.m. I just knicked my knuckle with the point of my knife. Boy did that bleed. Being on two blood thinners really has my innards flowing. I am still not done. I have four more packages to do tomorrow. When I finally stopped tonight, I took a short nap and when I woke up, I could barely walk. That is the longest I have stood on my feet in quite a few years. So I stayed in bed with a couple of Vicodin. I used muscles today that aren't even on the doctors charts. Even my buttocks hurt when I try to walk.

I bought two peaches. I gently squeezed them and they had a gentle give. So I got up a little while ago and got one. I took a bite and had to grab a paper towel. I could taste the peach and it was so juicy. I ate it with the paper towel wrapped around it. The last time I had a peach that tasted so good and so juicy like that was back when I worked with the 4-H kids in Puyallup, WA. Poo was only four years old. He is approaching his mid 40's today. I am saving the other one for tomorrow night when I have my bowl of Cookies and Cream ice cream. I am going to have The Pirate take me back to the store to get some more. Who cares how much I am aching. All I can think of is that peach.

I just got up to go to the outhouse and my legs were shaking. I could hardly walk and certainly couldn't stand up straight. I definitely overdid it today. I think those other four packages are going to have to wait. I am off to bed.