"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #20761
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm working on jogging tomorrow...still not running, maybe in a couple more weeks. I can't walk any faster without breaking into a jog and so far my heart is handling it.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #20762
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Watching Latté eat BBQ Pork...even the hickory smoked pieces.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #20763
Certified Cake Maniac

I am home and slept pretty much all day. I still have pain where my appendix was removed but they ruled out infection. The area is inflamed, but the doctor decided it was just my "chronic pain" (which it isn't) and released me. Which is okay. I only wanted to rule out bleeding or infection and we did. I will be seeing the original surgeon the week after next and my own doctor this week.

Violet and Monkey were sure happy to see me even gone just one night. They have been cuddling and snuggling with me since I got here.

But right now Vi is sulking on her bed in my studio. She wants her 8pm treat and it is only 7:49 Monkey lets her "big sister" do all the work and then makes sure she is first in line to receive the treats!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #20764
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hang in there, Laurie, and let Violet and Monkey take care of you.

I'm taking a break from canning duties for a few minutes. There are 12 half pints and 3 pints of homemade oven roasted tomato sauce cooling and, after lunch, I'll pressure can a slew of Italian green beans.

Let the games begin!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #20765
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We just pulled in from spending the weekend in Minneapolis with Baby Bro and his family. What a neat city. We had dinner on the lake with cousins last night, including smoked pulled pork. Beagle managed to find the shoulder bone in the garbage, which was bigger than she is, and had a very nice snack of her own before she was discovered. Absolutely no remorse was shown.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #20766
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Hang in there, Laurie, and let Violet and Monkey take care of you.

I'm taking a break from canning duties for a few minutes. There are 12 half pints and 3 pints of homemade oven roasted tomato sauce cooling and, after lunch, I'll pressure can a slew of Italian green beans.

Let the games begin!
Katie I wish I was canning again. But specially right now, I don't have the stamina. Maybe next year!

As for letting Violet and Monkey look after me, they are doing a great job. I woke up this morning with Monkey curled up behind my neck. She has never done anything like that before! And Violet was beside me on her bedroom bed as always.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #20767
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Katie I wish I was canning again. But specially right now, I don't have the stamina. Maybe next year!

As for letting Violet and Monkey look after me, they are doing a great job. I woke up this morning with Monkey curled up behind my neck. She has never done anything like that before! And Violet was beside me on her bedroom bed as always.
Oh, Laurie, how sweet. I remember when my furry children snuggled with me so sweetly. Enjoy and be healed by their love. Their love and affection does heal.

I'm about trashed from a day of cleaning veggies and canning.

So far...12 half pints, 3 pints of oven roasted tomato sauce, 17 pints of Italian green beans, and 1/2 half bushel of Italian green beans cleaned and ready for canning, plus a huge bag of corn to either be scraped from the cob and canned or frozen. Depends on my stamina and the room in the freezer.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #20768
Sous Chef

When I see a suicide as Robin Williams, I lose sleep. I'm up and so grateful for everything and everyone in my life.

I'm thinking how I can be a better person. Hopefully I'll figure that out.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #20769
Head Chef

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
When I see a suicide as Robin Williams, I lose sleep. I'm up and so grateful for everything and everyone in my life.

I'm thinking how I can be a better person. Hopefully I'll figure that out.
I had 3 close encounters with death in my 20s (all accidents) and have been grateful to be alive ever since...every day.

I adored Robin Williams and he is a huge loss - Hollywood is in mourning. He was an exceptionally gifted stand up comedian. I used to do stand up comedy so I was in particular awe of his inspired, highly colourful comedic deliveries.

My favourite film is The Fisher King - an epic film that deservedly won an Oscar.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #20770
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here lamenting. This has to have been the worst summer I have had in years. I get this stinking nasty cold at the end of June and spent all of July inside my apartment as I didn't want anyone to catch it. The cough is still lingering and now I have developed sciatia in my left hip. Fortunately it is not too bad, but enough to keep me off my feet. Bed rest and heat. I considered going to Winthrop for a steroid shot in my hip, but I think I can do this one my own. The heat seems to be doing the job. Then yesterday (I think due to all this health stress) I start to get some serious chest pains. I gather everything I am going to need to take to the hospital. I finally sat down, took a good size spray hit of the nitro and took a number of deep breaths. Fortunately I didn't start to cough during all of this. If I had, I would have hit that button as fast as I could. I have the "Help I have fallen and can't get up", thanks to Winthrop. All their home patients have it.

All I want is to feel good. Not great, but just good. When someone asks, "How are you," I want to be able to say "Fine!" I was so looking forward to the summer. Even the weather has been against me. No real warm days where I can sit outside and get some nice warm sunshine falling on me. Some treese are already showing colored leaves. And now here we are in the second half of August and soon it will be Fall. Today, I am feeling fine! I think.

But I did get one really good piece of news today. My granddaughter sent me an email asking for my phone number. She just wants to talk to me. She misses me. This kid is one heck of an artist. She has painted murals in her home and has even sold some of the stuff she has done. But not enough to support herself. So she holds down a fulltime job as well. She is the middle daughter of my daughter that died. And very special to me. Until she was adopted I took care of her for quite a while. Along with her younger brother and older sister. I should be hearing from her today.

End of lament. Thanks for listening.