"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #20791
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I don't often go to restaurants so am not familiar with customer's rights.

Yesterday I decided to treat myself. Went to what looked like a nice place and ordered the duck confit (with puy lentils, bacon and spinach). I don't use much salt in my cooking and found it just about edible salt wise. I was hungry so ate it. I realise the duck confit recipe requires a fair amount of salt but have had this dish elsewhere without this pronounced salty taste. (I noticed there was a saucer of crystal salt on the table!)

I paid the bill but mentioned the saltiness. (I always mention poor standards since I believe it brings awareness to the situation and helps rectify the matter, e.g. for the experience of others).

I was pleasantly surprised that the waitress suggested taking off the service charge! So I had it at a reduced rate.

This is in UK. I am wondering what your rights are in US re. service in restaurants.
See taste is subjective. Since you say that you use little salt in your cooking, but find this meal salty, says that your palate is suited to lower salt dishes. I personally feel that you were not pointing out "poor standards", just your preference to lightly salted foods. It's likely that most who eat here find the saltiness at an acceptable level, or they would change the recipe.

I do think that it was nice that they removed it from your bill, it shows that they care about customer satisfaction and hope to see you return.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #20792
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
See taste is subjective. Since you say that you use little salt in your cooking, but find this meal salty, says that your palate is suited to lower salt dishes. I personally feel that you were not pointing out "poor standards", just your preference to lightly salted foods. It's likely that most who eat here find the saltiness at an acceptable level, or they would change the recipe.

I do think that it was nice that they removed it from your bill, it shows that they care about customer satisfaction and hope to see you return.
Agreed. And as Aunt Bea pointed out, responses to issues or complaints vary depending on the restaurant management or corporate policy. There are no official "customers' rights" in the U.S.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #20793
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm off to North Wales for a few days from tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon to visit a friend so will be "on leave" until Thursday.

Toodle pip, chaps. Be good while I'm away.

Henri x
Well, I was!

Today I got up early, showered, washed my hair & put on my make-up so that when I got back from the stables all I'd need to do would be to get changed, pack the car and set off. So far so good.

The weather was fine, a bit breezy but OK but by the time I reached the yard it was spitting with rain and the wind was getting up. Turned Horse out and started his jobs. And then it started. Howling gale and driving, almost horizontal, rain! Within half an hour of arriving at the yard my hair was in rat tails, my mascara running down my cheeks and I was drenched right through to and including my underclothes. The only dry thing about me was my feet, thanks to my wellies!

At its worst, which was most of the time, visibility was reduced to a few yards due to the rain. I had to put one of Horse's rugs on top of the wheel barrow to stop the straw blowing away and it wasn't just the loose stuff blowing off the barrow, it was whole 3 foot x 4 foot slices off the big bale going flying down the yard!

Decided that driving on the motorway and the exposed A55 dual carriageway in these conditions was not a good idea so rang Jane to ask if I could be excused until tomorrow. She very kindly agreed so I'll be getting up early tomorrow and setting off before the early morning rush hour. I will be taking my mackintosh and wellies along with the sun cream and sandals!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #20794
Head Chef

Oh wow...sounds like awful conditions! I hope the weather is on your side tomorrow though.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #20795
Chef Extraordinaire

What have I done! Good grief, can't I leave well enough alone? It all started with wanting to clean out the bookshelf and dusting it. There has been stuff on that thing for years that I never look at. So into the trash a lot of it will go. Pull the bk out and the dust looks like the sand dunes of Arabia. Way too much for Rosie to handle. So I have to dig out the other vacuum (named Clunky) to get the worst of it up. Well, I can't leave well enough alone. Have to polish the bk. Now more than half of the stuff on the shelves are headed for the trash room. Two trips there on my trusty scooter. Rosie and Clunky are sitting in the middle of the room just hoping I will trip over both of them. I almost grant them their wish. I am hoping Spike or The Pirate will show up so I can load them down with guilt and they will finish the job for me. During all of this I am trying to spice up a jar of simple pasta sauce so I can simmer the four Italian sausages I have thawed out and am trying to sauté along with the diced onions and garlic without burning. Have to keep a close eye on them. Nothing like multi tasking. Every time I take those dang Vicodin, I get a burst of energy you wouldn't believe. What have I done? Isn't Sunday a day of rest?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #20796
Head Chef

I tried out a chocolate and cherry tart recipe. Quite involved, i.e. simmering cherries in brandy (sugar and lemon zest) the day before. Today making the chocolate pastry and the chocolate custardy filling. (Cherry jam on the base of the prebaked pastry case).

I scaled it down from the original 9" flan size, i.e. to a half pint pie dish. It was quite scrummy when warm. Will have to see if it is a recipe worth keeping when I eat it cold tomorrow!

I thought of taking a photo to put on this forum but didn't think it would show up too well being predominantly chocolate coloured throughout!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #20797
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Just drove home from visiting the in-laws in Cornwall, ON and we have unloaded meat into the freezer.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #20798
Sous Chef

Ehhh...crying. A family member, my last uncle passed, so I'm not feeling whatever...good night.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #20799
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sorry CCL.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #20800
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
Ehhh...crying. A family member, my last uncle passed, so I'm not feeling whatever...good night.
I'm sorry for your loss, CCL.

« Petty Vents | - »