"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #20871
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Looks like I will have to formulate my plan of the day for tomorrow. Glenn just brought in two 5-gallon buckets crammed full to overflowing with Italian green beans. These plants are never going to stop...but that's a good thing.

I'll probably tip them tonight while we watch TV, then I'll be a little ahead of the game for tomorrow morning. I will have to go to the store and buy more jars because I'd rather can them than freeze them. I want to save room in the freezer for the corn, which is about to knock on the back door. It'll probably be ready by mid-week. This is the second planting and it's doing well.

We're going to enjoy the fruits of all this hard work come wintertime.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #20872
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Last night I cast my net across North America and only found one promising lead.

Thomas Durow, Saanich, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, died 3/27/1976

I found several other references to him in British Columbia voting registry from 1945 until about 1965.

I could not find any specifics that you could use to link him to another relative. I got the impression that this fella might have been involved in shipping. I saw references to him traveling as a passenger or crew to Seattle Washington several times.

I also reference to Else Durow, Saanich, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, died 1980.

They were the only two I could find which is unusual.

Good luck!
Wow, Aunt Bea. Thanks for that. Will try and follow it up. If it's the same Thomas he died aged 86. Long life runs in the family!

There are quite a lot of Durows, mostly with a German connection in the USA.

Where did you find all this?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #20873
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Wow, Aunt Bea. Thanks for that. Will try and follow it up. If it's the same Thomas he died aged 86. Long life runs in the family!

There are quite a lot of Durows, mostly with a German connection in the USA.

Where did you find all this?
Most of the hits came up on Ancestry.CA I'm not a member so I could not get specifics.

He died in March at 85, before his 86 birthday, if your Thomas was born after March this could be a good lead.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #20874
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sitting here very worried. I woke up today and when I started to cough (yes, I still have that dang cough) my ribs felt like I had broken every one of them. I also feel a small amount of pain if I take a deep breath. Good heavens, I hope it is not pneumonia. This has been one heck of a summer. Will I ever feel "well" again? I am sick of having one thing after another go wrong.

When I went to Winthrop Thursday, my lungs sounded very clear. No crackling. Could something go so wrong that quickly?
How are you feeling today, Addie?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #20875
Executive Chef

Quote:
Most of the hits came up on Ancestry.CA I'm not a member so I could not get specifics.

He died in March at 85, before his 86 birthday, if your Thomas was born after March this could be a good lead.

Good luck.
I hadn't found Ancestry.CA but no I have I will consult with my cousin to see if she has worldwide membership of Ancestry and if not I'll join myself.

In the meantime, I've written to the editor of the Saanich News about the possibility of publishing a "fishing" letter.

This is the nearest we've got, thank you.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #20876
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
How are you feeling today, Addie?
Much better. I had a good solid all through the night deep sleep. And when I woke up this morning, I stayed in bed just resting. Here it is two p.m. and I just got up. In a little while I am going to go into the bathroom for a nice long hot shower while Rosie the Roomba runs around doing her cleaning. I have decided to make this a complete "Me" day. This has been the worst summer I can remember and I am going to get back to feeling good all the time.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #20877
Certified Cake Maniac

Addie, good to hear you are feeling better and you had a good sleep.

I am pacing the floor and biting my nails waiting for the mail person to come. It seems to be coming later every week with a new person as often since our old one retired. I am expecting my birth certificate so I can get my passport in time for the cruise. It is funny, we are just going up the coast and it is hard to believe we are entering another country!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #20878
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Addie, good to hear you are feeling better and you had a good sleep.

I am pacing the floor and biting my nails waiting for the mail person to come. It seems to be coming later every week with a new person as often since our old one retired. I am expecting my birth certificate so I can get my passport in time for the cruise. It is funny, we are just going up the coast and it is hard to believe we are entering another country!
Just look for a hole in the fence, everyone else does!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #20879
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:

Good luck.
Quote:
I hadn't found Ancestry.CA but no I have I will consult with my cousin to see if she has worldwide membership of Ancestry and if not I'll join myself.

In the meantime, I've written to the editor of the Saanich News about the possibility of publishing a "fishing" letter.

This is the nearest we've got, thank you.
I just started following this conversation here as I was away. I am a world member of ancestry.ca and also might be able to get you information here in BC Canada for you. PM me Mad Cook and I will see what I can do!

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #20880
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Just look for a hole in the fence, everyone else does!
Good advice Aunt Bea, though it might be a little hard from a cruise ship. Maybe I can just grab one of the life boats and paddle to shore!

« Midnite Oil Cafe | - »