"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #20931
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just realized i forgot to set up my meds for the next week...I do it every Friday...I better do it before taking my night meds.

For some reason I've been waking up at 1:30 am each night, look at the clock and back to sleep until the alarm goes off. Don't know why.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #20932
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And yet you let them live CCL.

Doing nuthin'. I was busy yesterday, then woke up in the wee hours this morning because of a Charlie Horse in my thigh. It ached so much it took me so long to fall back to sleep I was considering just getting up for the day after three hours of sleep. I did run a couple errands (had to get wine for an alcohol rubdown tonight - it does work from the inside, right?) and made supper, so I wasn't a total slug.
Get up and put your bare feet on a cold floor. The Charlie Horse will just melt away. And you need potassium in your diet to prevent them in the future. Bananas are loaded with it.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #20933
Master Chef

I know those things Addie. I eat so many bananas I should be able to swing from the trees. I also eat potatoes frequently - they have a good amount of potassium too. Oddly enough, on this list of ten foods high in potassium, bananas are ranked 10th. I wonder why everyone says "eat more bananas" when things like dried apricots and yogurt are higher - and just as easy to eat. Top 10 Foods Highest in Potassium We also eat a lot of leafy greens, fish, and mushrooms. Maybe I just stand too much on the days I get let cramps at night.

And about that "cold floor"? Our house has wall-to-wall carpets, except for the bathrooms. I'm in a bed about 25 feet away from a bathroom floor. When the muscle is cramping really bad I can't think about trying to walk even 2 to 5 feet! It hasn't happened for a while before this time, so I'm guessing my bar of Ivory soap fell out of the fitted mattress. Ever since I saw MrsLMB's post (I think it was her) I haven't had a cramp.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #20934
Sous Chef

I don't know these things but I am praying. No one needs to go through hard times.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:13 AM   #20935
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I know those things Addie. I eat so many bananas I should be able to swing from the trees. I also eat potatoes frequently - they have a good amount of potassium too. Oddly enough, on this list of ten foods high in potassium, bananas are ranked 10th. I wonder why everyone says "eat more bananas" when things like dried apricots and yogurt are higher - and just as easy to eat. Top 10 Foods Highest in Potassium We also eat a lot of leafy greens, fish, and mushrooms. Maybe I just stand too much on the days I get let cramps at night.

And about that "cold floor"? Our house has wall-to-wall carpets, except for the bathrooms. I'm in a bed about 25 feet away from a bathroom floor. When the muscle is cramping really bad I can't think about trying to walk even 2 to 5 feet! It hasn't happened for a while before this time, so I'm guessing my bar of Ivory soap fell out of the fitted mattress. Ever since I saw MrsLMB's post (I think it was her) I haven't had a cramp.
I remember that thread. A lot of folks said that they did that. The way I sleep and twist the blanket, that bar of soap would go flying out of my bed and break a window or two.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #20936
Head Chef

Smile

Re: cramps. I read a solution that I find always works. Since it can happen most when I am in bed, I quickly get out of bed and force my heel down to the ground. This feels hard to do but is where the cramping gets undone.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:25 AM   #20937
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I forgot to add to the above post, that pushing hands against a wall helps with this action.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #20938
Master Chef

Quote:

Same with me, I have not had a cramp in my feet or legs since I read that thread and started sleeping with a bar of ivory soap at the foot of the bed!

That was the best tip I ever got from DC and it had nothing to do with food, go figure!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #20939
Master Chef

Just finished reading this article about a business start up in my town that delivers healthy meals to a local fitness center. Sounds like an interesting concept for the young urban professionals that only keep beer and little packets of duck sauce in the fridge!

Check out the website, the link is in the article.

Group of avid CrossFitters launch healthy, prepared meal service in Syracuse | syracuse.com
Old 08-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #20940
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Same with me, I have not had a cramp in my feet or legs since I read that thread and started sleeping with a bar of ivory soap at the foot of the bed!

That was the best tip I ever got from DC and it had nothing to do with food, go figure!
Maybe Ivory owes us residuals...