What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just came back from mailing my oldest sons Christmas gifts to Colorado. I like to mail it early so it is one less thing to stress about. :^)

I wish I was that motivated, Joann. I am still struggling to figure out gifts. Fortunately this year I don't have to mail anything so that helps.

I am trying to find an old recipe I had for whipped shortbread - I just got a new cookie press and haven't made the cookies in a long time. The recipe was another hand-me-down from my great grandmother. I never met her, but I can tell she was an excellent cook just by all the recipes she left to the family. Most were her own creations as they lived on a homestead for many years and didn't have access to a lot of cook books.

Oh, the sleep didn't come last night until around 1, but that is still one more hour than I have been getting.

my mom, who is 91 and has been eating like a smallish bird lately, just polished off a thick slab of banana nut bread. the bread came out beautifully, thanks to pac's own recipe!:) it's such a good feeling to see my mom eat, and with a real healthy appetite....:)

I'm glad you liked it. It not my recipe though. Just one I found on the internet.

finally back in the saddle again.

a year ago at this time, i was made assistant cubmaster of the cub scout pack in our town. it was so dysfunctional that by springtime, we quit (mostly at the behest of my wife) and we put our son in a pack in another town. i felt terribly leaving like that because i think i could have turned things around. but i had to do right by my wife and son, going where they would be happy.

so, after helping out in the new pack on a lot of things, i finally get to put on the uniform again, this time as assistant den leader. i'll be leading the boys in our den in a lesson on tools and woodworking. i'm really looking forward to it.

so, more sewing for me. new pack numbers, new rank patch.

i just hope i don't sew it into my pants again.

finally back in the saddle again.

a year ago at this time, i was made assistant cubmaster of the cub scout pack in our town. it was so dysfunctional that by springtime, we quit (mostly at the behest of my wife) and we put our son in a pack in another town. i felt terribly leaving like that because i think i could have turned things around. but i had to do right by my wife and son, going where they would be happy.

so, after helping out in the new pack on a lot of things, i finally get to put on the uniform again, this time as assistant den leader. i'll be leading the boys in our den in a lesson on tools and woodworking. i'm really looking forward to it.

so, more sewing for me. new pack numbers, new rank patch.

i just hope i don't sew it into my pants again.

What is the first project?
Getting your house ready for sale?
:LOL:

I am trying to find an old recipe I had for whipped shortbread - I just got a new cookie press and haven't made the cookies in a long time. The recipe was another hand-me-down from my great grandmother. I never met her, but I can tell she was an excellent cook just by all the recipes she left to the family. Most were her own creations as they lived on a homestead for many years and didn't have access to a lot of cook books.

Well, I finally resorted to an internet recipe that seems close to Nona's. If they turn out I will post a picture in the baking thread.

I am not happy with my new press as it is smaller and has less shapes, but I can't find one like my old one and with my arthritic hands, this is a better fit.

ROFL, pac. i never thought of that. that's a great idea!

actually, the first project is supposed to be a bird house or something similar. i'm going to try to get some of the boys to build bat boxes so we can put them up in the woods around a field in town.

ROFL, pac. i never thought of that. that's a great idea!

actually, the first project is supposed to be a bird house or something similar. i'm going to try to get some of the boys to build bat boxes so we can put them up in the woods around a field in town.
If you see a car speeding through your town away from the fields and woods, that will be me. :ohmy:

Great idea on the bat boxes. That will add a nice twist to just a run of the mill bird house. Don't forget the grooves for the bats little feetsies to grab onto.

pacanis said:
Great idea on the bat boxes. That will add a nice twist to just a run of the mill bird house. Don't forget the grooves for the bats little feetsies to grab onto.

+1! Bats are underappreciated and very beneficial, much like spiders.

Great idea, BT!

Andy M. said:
Until they find their way into your attic and set up housekeeping.

We don't worry, the raccoons keep them under control.

+1! Bats are underappreciated and very beneficial, much like spiders.

Great idea, BT!

what is this sudden attraction for bats, and what do they need boxes for? a bat once flew into my dining room through a set of french doors. we engaged in a strategic, intense dance, just the two of us--the bat zooming circles around me with her exacting radar, near-missing me time and again--me, wielding a newspaper, waving and wishing her toward the french door bat exit. we swooped and we lunged, faced and fled each other, unwilling dueling partners. she left abruptly, a td through the uprights--the french doors, whence she had come....

vitauta said:
what is this sudden attraction for bats, and what do they need boxes for? a bat once flew into my dining room through a set of french doors. we engaged in a strategic, intense dance, just the two of us--the bat zooming circles around me with her exacting radar, near-missing me time and again--me, wielding a newspaper, waving and wishing her toward the french door bat exit. we swooped and we lunged, faced and fled each other, unwilling dueling partners. she left abruptly, a td through the uprights--the french doors, whence she had come....

Aw, they won't hurt you, Vit. Unless they're rabid.

They are the best mosquito eaters you can have.

Bat boxes are beneficial because you can kind of control where the bats set up house. It's not like they attract bats, but they give them a better place to hang out (upside down) than attics. Ideally you entice them to move there by placing their guano by and on the box once you hang it.

And if you find a bat in your living quarters you are supposed to get treated for rabies unless you can capture and test the bat.

what? why would you need to be treated for rabies if you have a bat for a roomie? wouldn't there need to be some physical contact at least? friends with benefits....

Andy M. said:
You have racoons in your attic?

Not anymore, the squirrels got 'em.

Truth be told, we've only had birds and a frog in the house!

Back
Top Bottom