"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #21001
Master Chef

Oh no creative! Is there somewhere you could transport your bicycle to so that you could ride in a safer area? Somewhere like a park or, if England has them, bike trails? I'm going on the assumption that you have your own car with which to drive you and the bike elsewhere. Many cities and counties throughout the United States have converted old, out-of-service rail lines to biking and hiking trails. Flat land! It's what my old knees prefer, and it's almost impossible to find close to us.

All I powered the laptop up for was to transfer bank funds. (We do no banking on our phones.) Then I got sucked into the black hole known as Discuss Cooking. Like potato chips, bet ya can't read just one...thread. But now,I'm about to head to my Happy Place! Market Basket is back baby, up and running at full speed. Although this won't be a major shop (waiting for the sale flyer this Friday) I have a number of things I've wanted to get but haven't bought since I know they're way more expensive at other stores than they are at MB. Plus, I've been jonesin' really bad for one of their crack chickens, aka rotisserie. Must have something addictive in them.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #21002
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I spent this morning and part of the afternoon shopping. I'm taking my sweet time putting it all away. Actually I got the Walmart stuff put away before I went to Sav-A-Lot.

All the Sav-A-lot stuff is now put away... But... i'll still have to prep some things like the 5# chub of hamburger. Cut it into pound pieces and package and freeze.

My back and legs are starting to hurt a lot more lately, but once I'm done and home, I can sit down between sessions, doing a bit each time.

With everything in the fridge or on the shelves, I can leave everything else until tomorrow.

I'm just going to sit and relax and have a beer or two. I earned it!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #21003
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just got back from the pool. I noticed another visitor. Poor little mole was paddling around frantically. I was able to catch it in the skimmer net, and put it under the fence. I'd heard that moles are really good swimmers, it's true.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #21004
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I spent this morning and part of the afternoon shopping. I'm taking my sweet time putting it all away. Actually I got the Walmart stuff put away before I went to Sav-A-Lot.

All the Sav-A-lot stuff is now put away... But... i'll still have to prep some things like the 5# chub of hamburger. Cut it into pound pieces and package and freeze.

My back and legs are starting to hurt a lot more lately, but once I'm done and home, I can sit down between sessions, doing a bit each time.

With everything in the fridge or on the shelves, I can leave everything else until tomorrow.

I'm just going to sit and relax and have a beer or two. I earned it!
You deserve a break!

How do you manage to get a whole months groceries from the cab to your apartment by yourself?

That would be the worst part of the trip for me!

Still it's a nice secure feeling to know that you have everything that you need.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #21005
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Oh no creative! Is there somewhere you could transport your bicycle to so that you could ride in a safer area? Somewhere like a park or, if England has them, bike trails? I'm going on the assumption that you have your own car with which to drive you and the bike elsewhere. Many cities and counties throughout the United States have converted old, out-of-service rail lines to biking and hiking trails. Flat land! It's what my old knees prefer, and it's almost impossible to find close to us.
I am in UK. No I don't have a car and never wanted one since I am one of those cyclists who is an environmentalist. I live in the suburbs and would cycle everywhere locally e.g. back streets but then on to main roads. Even back streets have parked cars so the worry of cycling past them would be unpleasant and stressful. However, the favourable outcome is that I became a pensioner so now have a free bus pass. Not the same as the freedom of cycling but I have adjusted....mostly. I guess it was time.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #21006
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Just got back from the pool. I noticed another visitor. Poor little mole was paddling around frantically. I was able to catch it in the skimmer net, and put it under the fence. I'd heard that moles are really good swimmers, it's true.
Yay!!! You saved the mole. I watched an hour vid on You Tube one might of a guy doing CPR on a drowned prairie dog.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #21007
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yay!!! You saved the mole. I watched an hour vid on You Tube one might of a guy doing CPR on a drowned prairie dog.

I'm sure the neighbors will appreciate it too! It immediately dug into their lawn. DH mowed tonight, and afterward came in swearing a blue streak. He wants a lawn service due to all the mole damage. I told him again, no, too many chemicals. I'd sooner get a goat instead.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #21008
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm sure the neighbors will appreciate it too! It immediately dug into their lawn. DH mowed tonight, and afterward came in swearing a blue streak. He wants a lawn service due to all the mole damage. I told him again, no, too many chemicals. I'd sooner get a goat instead.
I know they are a PITA, but when one is trying to swim out of a pool...you gotta do something.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #21009
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I know they are a PITA, but when one is trying to swim out of a pool...you gotta do something.

Exactly. I try to do the same with frogs, but they can see, and dive deeper. This poor little guy just sat in the net. I haven't told the neighbor yet.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #21010
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You deserve a break!

How do you manage to get a whole months groceries from the cab to your apartment by yourself?

That would be the worst part of the trip for me!

Still it's a nice secure feeling to know that you have everything that you need.

I have one of these:

It folds up and goes with me to the store. I hang it on my regular grocery cart. When I get home, I unfold it and pack my bags inside and roll my goodies home.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote