"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #21351
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
...I'm picking apples from our extremely prolific tree that was supposed to take a break this year... We've already targeted our apple recipient victims, bwahhaha!
Someone must have crossed that tree with a rabbit. I wish we lived closer together so you could leave a bag of flaming...red apples on my porch. Or I could drive over. Not gonna happen.

After fighting with an oncoming cold for a few days, the cold won. After drinking mulled apple cider all day, I'm finishing off the last cup with a generous pour of rum. Yum.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #21352
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, cg.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #21353
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Someone must have crossed that tree with a rabbit. I wish we lived closer together so you could leave a bag of flaming...red apples on my porch. Or I could drive over. Not gonna happen.

After fighting with an oncoming cold for a few days, the cold won. After drinking mulled apple cider all day, I'm finishing off the last cup with a generous pour of rum. Yum.
I have two friends "up" the valley and one "down" who all have apple orchards. I have enough apples to start my own market.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #21354
Executive Chef

It's 10pm and I'm listening to a totally incomprehensible programme on the radio about maths and nursing a hot water bottle. I am absolutely frozen hence the hot water bottle. I refuse to turn on the central heating before October when it's perfectly warm outside. I blame double glazed windows and insulation. In the summer when the outdoor temp was in the 70s, I had to wear a thick woolly sweater in the house!

My old house was in a Victorian terrace. It was lovely and warm and cost peanuts to heat.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #21355
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
It's 10pm and I'm listening to a totally incomprehensible programme on the radio about maths and nursing a hot water bottle. I am absolutely frozen hence the hot water bottle. I refuse to turn on the central heating before October when it's perfectly warm outside. I blame double glazed windows and insulation. In the summer when the outdoor temp was in the 70s, I had to wear a thick woolly sweater in the house!

My old house was in a Victorian terrace. It was lovely and warm and cost peanuts to heat.
And you left that lovely Victorian home because?
Old 09-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #21356
Chef Extraordinaire

they needed it to film downton abbey.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #21357
Head Chef

Question

Today I found a folded £5 note on the floor of a supermarket. There was no-one nearby, i.e. that might have lost it. I picked it up and partly considered handing it in but didn't trust staff to be honest, i.e. not to pocket it so I kept it. Do you think this belief was accurate or cynical?

What would you have done?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #21358
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Today I found a folded £5 note on the floor of a supermarket. There was no-one nearby, i.e. that might have lost it. I picked it up and partly considered handing it in but didn't trust staff to be honest, i.e. not to pocket it so I kept it. Do you think this belief was accurate or cynical?

If I came across it and it looked hopelessly lost to me I would have picked it up and kept it.

If I thought I could reunite it with it's rightful owner I would do that.

If I was having qualms about it then I would toss it into a donation kettle for some worthwhile cause.

If I was not having qualms about it I would treat it as a sign from above and spend it on some small treat.

For me the answer is never the same, I just muddle along doing what feels right at the time!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #21359
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Aunt Bea - I like your attitude! Balanced and adaptable. You seem to apply intuition too (which I also do).
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #21360
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post

Kept it! I once was in the bank and the woman in front of me dropped a $100.00 bill. I did tap her on the shoulder and gave it back to her. She couldn't thank me enough. She was putting it into her checking account to cover the check she wrote for groceries for the kids she had at her side.

Another time I found a $10.00 bill on the sidewalk. I kept it. No one around, why not. I found it just before Christmas and was pregnant with my 4th child. It went toward Christmas dinner.