"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #21421
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
That's a good idea and reminds me of something I did in a house I owned a hundred years ago. All the upper cabinets in the kitchen were open above, which was lovely for displaying things but a real pooper when it came to keeping the surface clean. Once a year, I would cut newspaper to fit the tops and layer 12 layers. Once a month I would peel off a layer and toss it.

I could conceivably do the same thing with the top of the refrigerator here but instead of using newspaper, I think I'll use freezer paper. I have plenty of that and rarely use it, except for making craft/sewing patterns.

Thanks for the mind jogger.
Katie, I used to do commercial cleaning. Every time a commercial came on, I would jump up and clean some of the light fixture plates, wipe off the window sills, clean the top of the fridge, etc. It saved me many an all day cleaning binge. I even used to get the kids involved. With so many commercials on today, you could get a whole house done in just one night of watching TV.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #21422
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Katie, I used to do commercial cleaning. Every time a commercial came on, I would jump up and clean some of the light fixture plates, wipe off the window sills, clean the top of the fridge, etc. It saved me many an all day cleaning binge. I even used to get the kids involved. With so many commercials on today, you could get a whole house done in just one night of watching TV.
One of my friends taught me that technique and I must say it works for me in my little apartment. I can clean the bathroom from top to bottom while watching an hour of television. I squirt the cleaner on one or two things during a commercial, allow it to work until the next commercial, wipe them down and squirt something else.

My friend also taught me to look around before pulling the plug on a nice sudsy sink full of hot water and see what needs wiping down.

My place never seems to get dirty and it never seems to get clean, everything just gets a lick and a promise as I putter around!

Old 10-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #21423
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Amazing!

Katie,

Have you ever tried using a fabric topper to trap the dust and grime on the top of the refrigerator? My sister made me a couple and every so often I pull them off the fridge and toss them into the wash. They are just fabric squares the same size as the top of the fridge with a serged edge.

B

OK, I had to look up "serged edge" but that's a good idea.

However, the new fridge is taller and even I can't see the dust on top.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #21424
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
OK, I had to look up "serged edge" but that's a good idea.

However, the new fridge is taller and even I can't see the dust on top.
Problem solved, don't go looking for trouble!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #21425
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
That's a good idea and reminds me of something I did in a house I owned a hundred years ago. All the upper cabinets in the kitchen were open above, which was lovely for displaying things but a real pooper when it came to keeping the surface clean. Once a year, I would cut newspaper to fit the tops and layer 12 layers. Once a month I would peel off a layer and toss it.

I could conceivably do the same thing with the top of the refrigerator here but instead of using newspaper, I think I'll use freezer paper. I have plenty of that and rarely use it, except for making craft/sewing patterns.

Thanks for the mind jogger.
I've seen people use plastic wrap, it's pretty much invisible and will cling nicely to the top of the fridge

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #21426
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
One of my friends taught me that technique and I must say it works for me in my little apartment. I can clean the bathroom from top to bottom while watching an hour of television. I squirt the cleaner on one or two things during a commercial, allow it to work until the next commercial, wipe them down and squirt something else.

My friend also taught me to look around before pulling the plug on a nice sudsy sink full of hot water and see what needs wiping down.

My place never seems to get dirty and it never seems to get clean, everything just gets a lick and a promise as I putter around!
I live in the city and when the window are open we get that dang city grit on the window sills. Don't put anything you don't want ruined in the sills in the summer.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #21427
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I do this too! Not only do I get a load of chores done, but the constant running around every 15 minutes is a mini "workout" too! (We don't have quite so many ad breaks over here, but the principle is the same.)
Old 10-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #21428
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
They have me the $20 gift card right off when I went in to get the membership card.
Thanks for that info on the Costco deal, bakechef.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #21429
Master Chef

Relaxin'. Daughter was here all afternoon doing her homework online, after she had a quick 30 minute power nap. I was quietly cleaning and doing stuff in other rooms. Don't know how she does it....she works almost full time (6 hours a day) and is taking 4 classes in Business Admin. Grandson Tyler stayed home with dad so she could come over here and do homework in peace. I threw together a quickie dinner for us, just got done with dishes, fixin' to have a bowl of ice cream and search for a movie.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #21430
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Marinating beef strips for jerky. I had found some nice looking eye round steaks on sale awhile back, and after inquiring both here and on Google, determined that eye round steaks are basically useless, except for making jerky. Which is fine, I like jerky.