"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #21441
Chef Extraordinaire

When my old scooter was ready for the graveyard, I put it out by the dumpster with the instruction booklet, power cord, etc. It was gone in an hour. If it is a small item, just put it in the Community Room. Someone will take it even if they don't need it. A bigger item, put it beside the dumpster and it might take as long as an hour.

The sad part is that quite often, when a resident dies, the family comes to clean out the apartment, none of the kids want any of the furniture. Most likely furniture that their parents had most of their married life. And they can't be bothered to take it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Of course, the kids will fight over who gets the good stuff. When Old Joe died, he was 102 y.o. He had no family left. So maintenance got to clean out his apartment. He had pictures from WWI and II when some family members served, to the Korean Conflict when he served. Those they sent to the VFW. Somebody was smart enough to put the names on the back. Maintenance got to pick over the rest.

Like the saying goes, Somebody's trash.....

Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #21442
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I use the Community Room for getting rid of useful things that I no longer want. I always include the instruction manual.

There just isn't enough room to keep something I'm not using.

I keep a box for smaller items and when it gets full I take it there.

I'll be taking an electric skillet and a crock pot down soon. I don't need a crockpot since I like to cook low and slow on the stove and have the time to babysit it. The skillet is nice and large, but when I have a large amount to cook, like a big batch of taco meat, I just use the stew pot to contain all the ingredients.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #21443
Head Chef

I don't know why it's so hard for me to de-clutter, especially in the kitchen. I have a couple of sets of dishes I accumulated over the years that are just taking up space in the back of the cupboard. I think I'll take photos of the dishes, gadgets, etc. and send them to my kids. If they want something, I'll box it up, put it in the garage (just as soon as I de-clutter the garage ) and donate the rest.

Thanks for the nudge, ladies.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #21444
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
...I think I'll take photos of the dishes, gadgets, etc. and send them to my kids. If they want something, I'll box it up, put it in the garage (just as soon as I de-clutter the garage ) and donate the rest.

Thanks for the nudge, ladies.

A few years ago, SO and I (mostly SO) decided to get rid of the clutter we had accumulated by combining two households and just never use. We got together with my kids for a cookout and told them to take any or all of the stuff in set out in the basement free for nothing. They didn't take much. The rest got donated. Found out years later they thought I was dieing and that was the reason for cleaning house. I hope they weren't too disappointed.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #21445
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A few years ago, SO and I (mostly SO) decided to get rid of the clutter we had accumulated by combining two households and just never use. We got together with my kids for a cookout and told them to take any or all of the stuff in set out in the basement free for nothing. They didn't take much. The rest got donated. Found out years later they thought I was dieing and that was the reason for cleaning house. I hope they weren't too disappointed.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #21446
Executive Chef

Today DH cleaned out the bottom of the china closet. There were so many things in there I didn't even know I had. Sometimes when we go to Goodwill, DH will find brand new items that someone donated and he buys them for a couple dollars just because he hates to pass them up. I must have about 5 of those little electric choppers, the ones small enough to hold in your hand. I like keeping one handy when I just need a few chopped nuts etc, but I have no need for 5 of them. If the kids don't want them they will get donated back to Goodwill, with strict instructions for DH not to buy them! Maybe I'll donate them to Salvation Army Store. We never go there.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #21447
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Today DH cleaned out the bottom of the china closet. There were so many things in there I didn't even know I had. Sometimes when we go to Goodwill, DH will find brand new items that someone donated and he buys them for a couple dollars just because he hates to pass them up. I must have about 5 of those little electric choppers, the ones small enough to hold in your hand. I like keeping one handy when I just need a few chopped nuts etc, but I have no need for 5 of them. If the kids don't want them they will get donated back to Goodwill, with strict instructions for DH not to buy them! Maybe I'll donate them to Salvation Army Store. We never go there.
The Salvation Army is a charity, while Goodwill is a for-profit company, if that makes a difference to you.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #21448
Master Chef

I had a de-cluttering day today too, and am happy with how much I got done. Well, at least in the 3 bedrooms. Once I got going, I was on a roll! Three boxes of stuff are in the trunk of the car for the Salvation Army. The kitchen is cleaned up from dinner, laundry is done, I'm tired, and ready to settle in and find a good movie.

I was awakened at 4:30 this morning by a mild earthquake (3.7), not a biggie but enough to rattle the windows and shake my bed a bit. I laid there listening to the rumble deep in the earth and waited for it to stop, then went ahead and got up since I was awake.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #21449
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The Salvation Army is a charity, while Goodwill is a for-profit company, if that makes a difference to you.
I prefer the Salvation Army over Goodwill. The only problem is that neither one will do pickup anymore. That makes it hard to donate good, still usable objects. We have a SA in the town over. They have been there for years. You used to be able to leave your donations there. Not anymore. Now they want you to leave it at the center up on the Route #1. So if you don't have a car, you are out of luck and they lose. Over to the dumpster they go.

We don't have a Goodwill anywhere near us.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #21450
Chef Extraordinaire

dw donates a lot of stuff to the vietnam veterans of america, or something like that. they'll pick up just about anything.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote