"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #21461
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
My BIL work for the Veterans, making calls, setting up pick-ups for donations. They don't pick up in our area, I don't think. We're in the wrong county. I will donate to either SA or Goodwill, but prefer buying from Goodwill because they have more things that appeal to us. The SA in our area has mostly clothes and furniture. Goodwill has electronics and small kitchen appliances and gadgets. And also a better choice of books. Also, prices are lower at Goodwill. These things may only apply to our area. Others may have different experiences.

Also, at Goodwill you can return an electronic item if it does not work. SA does not take returns. They consider that you made a donation.
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #21462
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If anyone has a story regarding the RC that is a happy one, I would love to hear it. Because all through my life I have never heard a good word about them. And in the same breath, I have never heard a bad word about the Salvation Army.
Never ever? Really?

The Red Cross doesn't charge people for disaster relief. My uncle and aunt lost their home in the tornadoes that devastated their town in Mississippi a few years ago and the Red Cross put them up in an apartment and provided food and clothing to many people in town. Here are some more stories: https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...22Red+Cross%22
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #21463
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Never ever? Really?

The Red Cross doesn't charge people for disaster relief. My uncle and aunt lost their home in the tornadoes that devastated their town in Mississippi a few years ago and the Red Cross put them up in an apartment and provided food and clothing to many people in town. Here are some more stories: https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...22Red+Cross%22
My mom was a Red Cross volunteer for decades. When someone would lose their home to fire or flood, she was right there to help them out. She would bring what were called "comfort kits" these included immediate essentials like personal hygiene products, blankets etc. She would issue them vouchers to a grocery store, and a department store like K-mart or WalMart. She would make arrangements at a local motel if they didn't have some place to stay. She would bring me along to cheer up the little ones.

She worked at a shelter set up at my high school after a big flood in a neighboring town. These people drove big Suburban SUVs into flood waters to rescue people from their homes. We worked for days feeding people and making them as comfortable as possible.

She was in Florida for 3 weeks after a big hurricane, assisting people and getting them to shelters and helping them reconnect with their families, most were elderly.

I've apparently seen a different side of the Red Cross. My mom was a volunteer and never got paid a penny for her time (other than being reimbursed for travel on that trip to FL), and there are thousands of others just like her out there.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #21464
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Never ever? Really?

The Red Cross doesn't charge people for disaster relief. My uncle and aunt lost their home in the tornadoes that devastated their town in Mississippi a few years ago and the Red Cross put them up in an apartment and provided food and clothing to many people in town. Here are some more stories: https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...22Red+Cross%22
Really.

And like I said, I don't know what their practices are today. Thank you for posting something positive about them. It is good to hear.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #21465
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom was a Red Cross volunteer for decades. When someone would lose their home to fire or flood, she was right there to help them out. She would bring what were called "comfort kits" these included immediate essentials like personal hygiene products, blankets etc. She would issue them vouchers to a grocery store, and a department store like K-mart or WalMart. She would make arrangements at a local motel if they didn't have some place to stay. She would bring me along to cheer up the little ones.

She worked at a shelter set up at my high school after a big flood in a neighboring town. These people drove big Suburban SUVs into flood waters to rescue people from their homes. We worked for days feeding people and making them as comfortable as possible.

She was in Florida for 3 weeks after a big hurricane, assisting people and getting them to shelters and helping them reconnect with their families, most were elderly.

I've apparently seen a different side of the Red Cross. My mom was a volunteer and never got paid a penny for her time (other than being reimbursed for travel on that trip to FL), and there are thousands of others just like her out there.
Thank you. I am glad to hear that they have turned around.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #21466
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thank you. I am glad to hear that they have turned around.
And as you can see, your belief is decades out of date.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #21467
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
I applied to our local council of Girl Scouts for a part-time position. One of the first things I noticed was the office furniture. Remember the oak desk and swivel chair your teacher had? Well, all the furniture in their offices were from that era. It had all been donated by the Salvation Army when they first opened the council. And the SA had the same furniture in their offices also.

If you ever have a need to go to the headquarters of a charity, take a look at their furniture. It will tell you how much of each dollar goes to the charity and how much toward administrative costs and salaries.

Red Cross Reputation Bloodied Again - charitywatch.org

CharityWatch Articles from the Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report

The first reference shows why I have refused to receive blood from the Red Cross and why a lot of hospitals have set up their own blood banks.

The second shows a list of problems with so many of our so-called charities.

Food For Thought!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #21468
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I applied to our local council of Girl Scouts for a part-time position. One of the first things I noticed was the office furniture. Remember the oak desk and swivel chair your teacher had? Well, all the furniture in their offices were from that era. It had all been donated by the Salvation Army when they first opened the council. And the SA had the same furniture in their offices also.

If you ever have a need to go to the headquarters of a charity, take a look at their furniture. It will tell you how much of each dollar goes to the charity and how much toward administrative costs and salaries.

Red Cross Reputation Bloodied Again - charitywatch.org

CharityWatch Articles from the Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report

The first reference shows why I have refused to receive blood from the Red Cross and why a lot of hospitals have set up their own blood banks.

The second shows a list of problems with so many of our so-called charities.

Food For Thought!
One of those is about the Salvation Army and its lack of an independent governing board to provide oversight into its operations. And I was surprised to find out that it's not an American organization at all, but is based in London. Interesting that they have "self-employed workers" who work full-time for the Salvation Army. That allows the SA to avoid providing benefits and paying SS and unemployment taxes for them.

Salvation Army Rates High on Finances but Low on Governance

Quote:
The Commissioners’ Conference is the governing board of The Salvation Army USA. It consists of ten Salvation Army officers, who are all ordained ministers: the National Commander, Robert A. Watson, four territorial Commanders, and the chief national and four chief territorial Secretaries. Even though the ten Conference members are paid by the Salvation Army and work for the group full time, Lt. Col. Jones says, “technically they are not employees but are self employed and work full time for The Salvation Army.”

Many people believe that The Salvation Army is as American as apple pie but in actuality it is a global organization with its headquarters in London, England. The U.S. Salvation Army’s National Commander and governing board are appointed by the General, Paul A. Rader, who is the top ranking official at the Salvation Army International headquarters in London. The General is elected for a five year term by a group of senior Salvation Army officers called the High Council.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #21469
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
I thought everyone knew that the SA was started in London by William Booth and his wife Catherine. They started with helping homeless men. Being Protestant, I learned that as a kid. It was part of our religious training. We learned about the different Christian religious sects. SA was one of them.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #21470
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,859
Nope, I never heard that before. I didn't know it was a sect, either. Curiouser and curiouser.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.