"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #21461
Executive Chef

My BIL work for the Veterans, making calls, setting up pick-ups for donations. They don't pick up in our area, I don't think. We're in the wrong county. I will donate to either SA or Goodwill, but prefer buying from Goodwill because they have more things that appeal to us. The SA in our area has mostly clothes and furniture. Goodwill has electronics and small kitchen appliances and gadgets. And also a better choice of books. Also, prices are lower at Goodwill. These things may only apply to our area. Others may have different experiences.

Also, at Goodwill you can return an electronic item if it does not work. SA does not take returns. They consider that you made a donation.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #21462
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If anyone has a story regarding the RC that is a happy one, I would love to hear it. Because all through my life I have never heard a good word about them. And in the same breath, I have never heard a bad word about the Salvation Army.
Never ever? Really?

The Red Cross doesn't charge people for disaster relief. My uncle and aunt lost their home in the tornadoes that devastated their town in Mississippi a few years ago and the Red Cross put them up in an apartment and provided food and clothing to many people in town. Here are some more stories: https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...22Red+Cross%22

Old 10-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #21463
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Never ever? Really?

The Red Cross doesn't charge people for disaster relief. My uncle and aunt lost their home in the tornadoes that devastated their town in Mississippi a few years ago and the Red Cross put them up in an apartment and provided food and clothing to many people in town. Here are some more stories: https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...22Red+Cross%22
My mom was a Red Cross volunteer for decades. When someone would lose their home to fire or flood, she was right there to help them out. She would bring what were called "comfort kits" these included immediate essentials like personal hygiene products, blankets etc. She would issue them vouchers to a grocery store, and a department store like K-mart or WalMart. She would make arrangements at a local motel if they didn't have some place to stay. She would bring me along to cheer up the little ones.

She worked at a shelter set up at my high school after a big flood in a neighboring town. These people drove big Suburban SUVs into flood waters to rescue people from their homes. We worked for days feeding people and making them as comfortable as possible.

She was in Florida for 3 weeks after a big hurricane, assisting people and getting them to shelters and helping them reconnect with their families, most were elderly.

I've apparently seen a different side of the Red Cross. My mom was a volunteer and never got paid a penny for her time (other than being reimbursed for travel on that trip to FL), and there are thousands of others just like her out there.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #21464
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Never ever? Really?

Really.

And like I said, I don't know what their practices are today. Thank you for posting something positive about them. It is good to hear.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #21465
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom was a Red Cross volunteer for decades. When someone would lose their home to fire or flood, she was right there to help them out. She would bring what were called "comfort kits" these included immediate essentials like personal hygiene products, blankets etc. She would issue them vouchers to a grocery store, and a department store like K-mart or WalMart. She would make arrangements at a local motel if they didn't have some place to stay. She would bring me along to cheer up the little ones.

She worked at a shelter set up at my high school after a big flood in a neighboring town. These people drove big Suburban SUVs into flood waters to rescue people from their homes. We worked for days feeding people and making them as comfortable as possible.

She was in Florida for 3 weeks after a big hurricane, assisting people and getting them to shelters and helping them reconnect with their families, most were elderly.

I've apparently seen a different side of the Red Cross. My mom was a volunteer and never got paid a penny for her time (other than being reimbursed for travel on that trip to FL), and there are thousands of others just like her out there.
Thank you. I am glad to hear that they have turned around.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #21466
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thank you. I am glad to hear that they have turned around.
And as you can see, your belief is decades out of date.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #21467
Chef Extraordinaire

I applied to our local council of Girl Scouts for a part-time position. One of the first things I noticed was the office furniture. Remember the oak desk and swivel chair your teacher had? Well, all the furniture in their offices were from that era. It had all been donated by the Salvation Army when they first opened the council. And the SA had the same furniture in their offices also.

If you ever have a need to go to the headquarters of a charity, take a look at their furniture. It will tell you how much of each dollar goes to the charity and how much toward administrative costs and salaries.

Red Cross Reputation Bloodied Again - charitywatch.org

CharityWatch Articles from the Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report

The first reference shows why I have refused to receive blood from the Red Cross and why a lot of hospitals have set up their own blood banks.

The second shows a list of problems with so many of our so-called charities.

Food For Thought!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #21468
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I applied to our local council of Girl Scouts for a part-time position. One of the first things I noticed was the office furniture. Remember the oak desk and swivel chair your teacher had? Well, all the furniture in their offices were from that era. It had all been donated by the Salvation Army when they first opened the council. And the SA had the same furniture in their offices also.

If you ever have a need to go to the headquarters of a charity, take a look at their furniture. It will tell you how much of each dollar goes to the charity and how much toward administrative costs and salaries.

Red Cross Reputation Bloodied Again - charitywatch.org

CharityWatch Articles from the Charity Rating Guide and Watchdog Report

The first reference shows why I have refused to receive blood from the Red Cross and why a lot of hospitals have set up their own blood banks.

The second shows a list of problems with so many of our so-called charities.

Food For Thought!
One of those is about the Salvation Army and its lack of an independent governing board to provide oversight into its operations. And I was surprised to find out that it's not an American organization at all, but is based in London. Interesting that they have "self-employed workers" who work full-time for the Salvation Army. That allows the SA to avoid providing benefits and paying SS and unemployment taxes for them.

Salvation Army Rates High on Finances but Low on Governance

Quote:
The Commissioners’ Conference is the governing board of The Salvation Army USA. It consists of ten Salvation Army officers, who are all ordained ministers: the National Commander, Robert A. Watson, four territorial Commanders, and the chief national and four chief territorial Secretaries. Even though the ten Conference members are paid by the Salvation Army and work for the group full time, Lt. Col. Jones says, “technically they are not employees but are self employed and work full time for The Salvation Army.”

Many people believe that The Salvation Army is as American as apple pie but in actuality it is a global organization with its headquarters in London, England. The U.S. Salvation Army’s National Commander and governing board are appointed by the General, Paul A. Rader, who is the top ranking official at the Salvation Army International headquarters in London. The General is elected for a five year term by a group of senior Salvation Army officers called the High Council.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #21469
Chef Extraordinaire

I thought everyone knew that the SA was started in London by William Booth and his wife Catherine. They started with helping homeless men. Being Protestant, I learned that as a kid. It was part of our religious training. We learned about the different Christian religious sects. SA was one of them.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #21470
Chef Extraordinaire

Nope, I never heard that before. I didn't know it was a sect, either. Curiouser and curiouser.