"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #21471
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Nope, I never heard that before. I didn't know it was a sect, either. Curiouser and curiouser.
Southern Baptist, Baptist Conference, Episcopalian, Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Jehovah Witness, Roman Catholic, Catholic, etc. If they aren't Jewish or Islam, then most likely they are members of a Christian sect. We studied a different one each week. The Salvation Army was one of them. We learned what their mission was and how they were funded. To this day, there are missions that still have store front places where they serve hot food and give them a place to stay for the night. The Red Kettles help fund their Angel Fund. That is the fund they have to buy Christmas gifts for children of poor families. And it also pays for the Christmas dinner spread they put on at all their facilities.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #21472
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Put the "what-ifs" in a box and write the date on it. Set the box in the garage and if you need an item go retrieve it. In six months take the box to the thrift shop and donate it. I guarantee you will not need any of the items and you will not miss them! Good luck!
Thanks, Auntie - great idea! Funny, isn't it, that once it's gone it's as good as forgotten.

Reading the subsequent posts, I'm wondering if I should find a place where everything goes straight to the recipients. As some of you may know, just east of here is the small town of Immokalee, whose population is largely migrant workers -- produce (especially tomatoes) & citrus pickers usually underpaid and overworked -- who have great need; a good place for my stuff to go, I'm thinking.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #21473
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the idea of keeping donations local, too, Lizzie. Mine usually go to thrift shops run for the benefit of the local children's hospital.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #21474
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Thanks, Auntie - great idea! Funny, isn't it, that once it's gone it's as good as forgotten.

Reading the subsequent posts, I'm wondering if I should find a place where everything goes straight to the recipients. As some of you may know, just east of here is the small town of Immokalee, whose population is largely migrant workers -- produce (especially tomatoes) & citrus pickers usually underpaid and overworked -- who have great need; a good place for my stuff to go, I'm thinking.
That sounds like a winner idea!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #21475
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm "de-canting" the vinegars I played with this summer. Not planning on leaving the house until Friday. Captured a spot for him for 1/2 days. Hey, that gives my life some structure. Hugs...cook the BS using ingredients that are in your pantry. Cheers!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #21476
Chef Extraordinaire

we like to donate to people far away from where we can see them abuse their local charities and welfare programs in other ways...

lol, umm, i meant for the people that abuse their benefactors. not everyone who needs help, of course. but all it takes is seeing someone buy frenched lamb chops and trimmed beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon in whole foods with food stamps, and the gig is up.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:25 AM   #21477
Master Chef

I don't shop thrift stores often because, quite simply, my home IS a thrift shop! Close to half my non-clothing possessions are hand-me-downs. However, when visiting family or friend away, occasionally they will suggest a stop at a hospital's or ladies guild-type of thrift shop. Those keep their funds in-house to help their neighborhoods. They also seem to have the best deals. We have a couple of these stand-alone shops in towns near us. They might end up with my leftovers. But this thread has given me more to think about.

Tinlizzie, if you don't use an object but you don't want to let go because you think you might lose the memories, take a photo and use it for a little album. Picture on one side, small story about the item and the memories it brings on the other. That way you never really get rid of the thing or memories.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:15 AM   #21478
Chef Extraordinaire

The one item I tend to hold onto is a gift. Even if I have no use for it. But I have found that after a few years, the giver doesn't even remember that they gave me the gift. So I seem to place more importance on that gift than the giver does. My kids have learned though, no more gifts. I don't have the room for them.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #21479
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH and I just finished staining our multilevel deck, together, and we didn't kill each other!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #21480
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH and I just finished staining our multilevel deck, together, and we didn't kill each other!
Woo hoo, Dawg! Way to restrain yourself!